1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NOTD (1981 Black and Gold)

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by vangoghsear, Nov 24, 2014.

1. vangoghsear

vangoghsear Tele-Meister

New Old Tele Day!

I was picking up my Traynor amp from being serviced and the guy knew I was in the market for a Tele (my first). So he goes into the back room and comes out with a Fender case, opens it up and there is a gorgeous 1981 Black and Gold Fender Telecaster in great condition. He tells me it is all stock, including the case. A lot of these have a micro-phonic bridge pickup that howls on high gain, but I played it through my amp, testing the high gain settings and no howls, you can hear tapping directly on the pickup, but that's it.

Extremely heavy 10+ lbs, but really nice playable neck. Mine's the rosewood fretboard model. These are rare, only about 500-600 made. They typically sell for twice what he asked for it. Really cool guitar. The gold plating is real 18 carat gold, gives it a real unique look because of the color.

I haven't taken any pics yet, but it looks like this:

http://photos.imageevent.com/olivias/82fendertelecasterblackgoldhardware/websize/IMG_74133.JPG

2. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Beauty! Congrats, that's stunning!

3. SpeyFly

SpeyFly Tele-Meister

Outstanding!!!

4. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

Very nice. Congrats.

5. vangoghsear

vangoghsear Tele-Meister

Thanks for the comments and replies. I just tried it through my orange Crush 35LDX, I was surprised just how well that little practice amp suits that guitar. I thought with the 10" speaker it would be too bright, but just a little twist of the guitar's very sensitive tone knob and it mellows right out.

Here's mine:

Black and Gold Tele

6. BopT

BopT Tele-Afflicted

I had one that was Eleven pounds even! I put Texas specials in it and changed the neck cover to gold. Nice guitars with a great look!

7. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

This is the classiest looking tele I have ever seen!

The weight would make me think twice though... I'm a wimp! :-D

8. vangoghsear

vangoghsear Tele-Meister

Thanks all for the comments.

I am usually a humbucker guy, but this Tele is growing on me; surprising range of tones available from her.

9. Five-O

Five-O Tele-Afflicted

Is it the James Burton model , kinda has gold leaf over a black finish ? Would love to see pics.... btw congrats.

10. vangoghsear

vangoghsear Tele-Meister

No it's a 1981 Black and Gold Telecaster. I've only posted one pic so far, it's in my post #5 above. That James Burton model sounds cool.

11. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Nice find; you don't see the Black & Gold Teles all that often. I suppose Fender wanted to a Tele with the heavy brass hardware to match "The STRAT".

12. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Congrats! Glad you love it.

I bought mine brand new in 1982 and spent several months playing it once a week at my lessons while it was on layaway (paid it off flipping pizzas). Never weighed it but I'm sure it's in the 10 pound range. I've heard several sources claim that they were made with maple bodies to add to the heavy bridge and promote sustain which was all the rage back then.

I put a yellow pickguard on mine almost immediately after buying it trying to match a similar Tele that Tom Petty used on the "Long After Dark" album. I also put a Seymour Duncan Vintage Broadcaster in the bridge because the stock pickup was too microphonic to play in the bar 4 nights a week. It wasn't until about 10 years ago that an amp tech buddy of mine (who also rewound pickups) told me that in the '70s most of the baseplates were only held onto the bridge pups by the staggered magnets and the ground wire. He told me to drop a couple of small pieces of beeswax behind the baseplate and to hit it gently with a hairdryer until the wax melted between the magnets and plate. Solved the bridge microphonics in 20 minutes and the stock pickup went back in and sounded great. I've used that trick a couple of times since then on bridge pups that squealed a little too much even though I prefer a slightly microphonic pup.

Here's a picture of mine. I still have the original BWB pickguard stored away, but keep the yellow on for old time's sake after having seen it that way for over 30 years.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tom Petty's custom made version that inspired me to put the yellow guard on it. I actually chose mine because the matching painted headstock reminded me of George Harrison's rosewood Tele:

[​IMG]

13. vangoghsear

vangoghsear Tele-Meister

JohnC, yeah, it's the first one I ever saw, they only made a few hundred of them.

Milocj, I tested mine for microphonics by standing in front of my amp and turning it way up and playing. Not bad at all, no feedback. Thanks for the tip though, might come in handy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.