1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Not very bright when it comes to iPhones...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by schmee, Nov 23, 2020.

1. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

Just checked mine and the home and lock screen are taking up 3%.

telemnemonics and schmee like this.
  2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Now we're getting somewhere!

telemnemonics likes this.
  3. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Based upon my experience with iPhones, I have to say you need a new battery. It may not be swollen but it is defective. It is not hard to change on the original iPhone 6 SE.

4. Pasta Player

Pasta Player Tele-Meister

Apple just agreed to (up to) a $500 Million payout for their last slow-down of older iPhones with previous major iOS update. https://www.businessinsider.com/app...ement-2017-iphone-intentional-slowdown-2020-3 (Although Apple admitted no guilt.)

“Apple said its updates were intended to prevent aging batteries from causing the phones to malfunction.” - Business Insider

Under: Settings> General> Software Update on my iPhones - Automatic Updates is OFF and I don’t pull my hair out. Running iOS 12.4.1 on my 6S and my Home & Lock Screen currently uses 7% and battery health is at Maximum Capacity 100% / Peak Performance Capability. Weekly backups to a desktop Mac just in case of catastrophic failure OR if Apple somehow slips an update by me… so I can possibly downgrade my old iOS back. Zero Cloud-dependency here.

And yes, I practice the El Marin method of zip-zero-nada iOS updates.

Saluto!

P.S. If you do get a new battery, save that receipt.
    82% Home & Lock Screen is way high. Turn off something.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    schmee likes this.
  5. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, a mystery. I dont have any APP's that didnt come with the phone. WiFi off. Email off. Wish I could find something to turn off!

Pasta Player likes this.
  6. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Beer came shootin out my nose when I read that!

Pasta Player and schmee like this.
  7. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Keep you charge between about 25 and 80%. I try never to go above 80. Out if all my iPhones I have never had a battery issue. I keep them till my wife finally says its time to use your upgrade. Then my son gets my hand me down. Just this week he replaced my old 6 plus because he broke the screen. Bought his own this time.

8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Could be where you keep the phone got a button pushing object thrown in the mix a few days ago, and it keeps turning the screen on in you pocket? Something like a pocket knife or nail clipper?
    I saw that % number and it makes no sense.

As far as all the ideas to shut off the wifi, mine is on all the time because my cellular service isn't great up here in the country.
    Wifi does not run down the battery any more than cellular data. AFAIK and IME!
    The phone sending and receiving data you didn't authorize runs down the battery.
    You can select every function and stop it from logging on to websites etc, the wifi does not sneak in and turn on stuff. Cellular signal/ data will be used by any function in the phone that would use wifi. Not all cellular use is data, but all data is either cellular or wifi, both only do what your selected phone functions call for.

Ebay and Enthused Digital might self start if you invite their apps in, but they can't get in unless you allow them to.
    Actually ebay can sneak in its app if you log on to ebay in Safari and touch the wrong part of the screen, but any data using app will use cellular data if the wifi is off so the phone does whatever you allow it to do no matter how it accesses the web.

As far as software updates, Iget them and my phone keeps running fine.
    The battery issue i had a year or so ago was solved by shutting off some stuff and deleting the TDPRI mobile app.

9. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

Support?

Never heard of it

Apple gives support? Really?

What for?

I never had to ask for any support. If ,my iphone6 breaks or something I will get another seconhand or rebuilt for 50€ and it will give me another 5 years of working phone.

Really... NEVER update, turn off automatic things, turn off location and notification and PUSH on every single app (but whatsapp and Telegram) or set it "just when using the app" and you will have iphone for ages

Pasta Player likes this.
  10. NWinther

NWinther Friend of Leo's

Bah throw them away...Apple....

Pasta Player likes this.
  11. Diytelecaster

Diytelecaster Tele-Meister

This ^

Pasta Player likes this.
  12. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

That "never update" is really poor advice. Advice that only considers the one of you and your own luck. Managing hundreds of company mobile devices - Android too - and supporting nearly 1000 employees for some of their personal computing is constantly showing what's wrong with your advice.

Not updating causes reliability and security issues. Pushing (company devices) and suggestions carried out (employee devices) latest Apple 11.x, 12.x, 13.x plus the 14.2.1 have solved reliability issues.

It's great that you haven't needed Apple support but it's tops among peers. It's part of why our CFO who dislikes things about the company authorizes the purchases. Pure business - cost, reliability, life cycle - are why Apple purchases have gone from a few things for c suite to things I buy up to dozens at a time.

Apple support seems to be especially good for our staff with special needs, the elderly, and the frustrated.

Ronzo likes this.
  13. imwjl

From someone who manages all the popular platforms....

I would rather pay for products and services I use than be the product. Two brands of many we provision - Apple & Microsoft - are the class acts among current major tech giants when it comes to privacy, quality support and things they do for their customers.

The subscription model is something that's only growing.

14. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

That's not my case and the OP case and not all my surround case. We are not a company, I am just an user. I don't know how to manage company phones. I use Company phones, Company laptop and Company car so I just use whatever they give to me and follow their rules

Regarding my personal use, updating iphones brings more frustration than not doing it. I will keep giving that advice and doing it myself. Never had an issue. I buy used and last time, my iphone5 was way faster than some of my friends updated 7 and above. Pity it died when fall from my pocket and I stepped over it with my Harley. I use a few thing and keep them as old as I can, just phone, messages, music, photos and sometimes GPS to check where are the Police controls and avoid them.

Regarding to cost, reliability, life cycle and speed, to me, not updating is winning.

If you don't agree, do it, I won't

Pasta Player likes this.
  15. imwjl

My point is we know how this works even in personal use and it's documented. We can't avoid the help we give to hundreds of employees with their personal access I described. It's fine for you to have your beliefs but not good to espouse what's proven to be a poor idea overall.

16. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

You can also put the phone in power saving mode. The only problem is that it goes back to regular mode when you charge the phone, so if you want power saving mode after you recharge the phone you have to set it again.

There was a way to program it permanently, but Apple removed that option with the latest software update. Total d^&k move on their part.

17. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Afflicted

After some iPhones i bought a Samsung and never looked back.

18. imwjl

If I didn't say it earlier, my job requires knowing all this really well. Managing infrastructure and security is very much not "fake news".

Apple didn't do a good job of explaining what they did for older device power management, and newer versions of the software have improved battery management giving the user more control. Thus, some arguments on that topic are inane.

Sorry to burst your bubble on the battery competition with friends but how many data points do you have to really know? What's your methodology to really know? That's two. We still have dozens of that vintage being replaced right now so we watch it closely - what device gets replaced when another batch are ready. Dozens set up identically and used almost identically. At that age battery health varies a lot. The Battery Health Maximum Capacity screen is your judge and not what you describe.

It's okay for you to do things the way you want when it's not harming others, but software updates are a security and a reliability matter so that's why I made that courtesy message.

Another point behind the message is it's really easy to waste time and be aggravated when stuff doesn't work well. For company and staff, entry level phone and iPad replacement are all either side of $300, they work really well, and for the Apple devices there's great recycling. Lots of people who count on these things are happier with retiring their 5-6 year and older devices.

19. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

If it is an iPhone subject to a battery/software recall you'll get a free battery.

20. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

I told you, don't update. NEVER

radiocaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.