1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Not very bright when it comes to iPhones...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by schmee, Nov 23, 2020.

1. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Log into Yahoo via web browser. If you're sure your mail looks good there - you have your stuff - wipe it off the phone, restart the phone, and set it up again.

If you're losing battery life fast 1) look at battery health in settings and 2) look at all your app background refresh and location settings.

I see your scenario like this. It should be able to work better, you can do battery replacements, and any upgrade in the current product line will be a significant.

simoncroft likes this.
  2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I dont do mail on the iPhone at all. (other than try to send pics to text or email) Just text and old school talk.

3. Pasta Player

Pasta Player Tele-Meister

4. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

Turn off location for just about everything and have the ones you need your location for set for only when the app is in use. Background refresh can also be turned off for most apps. There are an awful lot of things which if not turned off can use up a lot of battery.

telemnemonics likes this.
  5. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

My old SE was having similar battery drain problems maybe a year ago and after shutting down stuff like location and deleting apps that run themselves the battery hangs on well.

I'm not sure how it accesses Yahoo but certainly through Safari.
    Is Safari running all day or only when you want to send an email?
    IOW do you open Safari, log on to Yahoo, send an email, log out pf Yahoo, and close the Safari app?
    If Safari runs all day logged into Yahoo that is busy mining data and tracking your activity etc.

I assume you registered the iphone with apple and got an apple ID?
    If so you might try opening the iphone email program and using the apple ID email address to send emails to wherever including CC to your Yahoo address. The apple email program seems to use less battery than running the Safari browser logged on to a website.

Every durn website you ever logged on to want to follow you, mine your data, send you suggestions, sell you stuff etc.
    Stay off the internet!
    Apple does want to track you but you can shut off locations services and the email program running your apple ID email will basically only do what you ask it to do.

Initially you may get tons of emails Apple sends offering the latest products, but those really are not the same barrage as a browser running. Once you get all the old apple emails the iphone email program quiets down and does not drain the battery.

A nice thing is that it interfaces with your photo program seamlessly and you just tap the little arrow under a pic to get options like text or email, then tap mail and the pic goes right into an email.

My SE is the oldest SE on earth as I got it when they just came out.
    Still runs fine, no battery drain issues despite the bad rep apple has for conspiring to force us to buy new phones.

7. telemnemonics

I'll add that my old SE is from early April 2016 and has run now for 4 1/2 years.
    Seems like 4 1/2 years is a long time for an iphone?

Additionally it has taken and loaded more than 13,000 pics and more than 2,000 videos to icloud.
    I had to upgrade my icloud twice and now run 2TB of storage.

The point being that in 4 1/2 years it's been run hard and put away wet, though not yet broken as it lives in a medium duty case and I keep a firm grip on it.

I can understand disabling icloud if you don't want to send pics and videos that fill up the free storage, but it's nice to keep your contacts there so you have them ready for the next phone.
    You can set it to only upload setting and contacts but not photos.

8. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

An old iphone6 here, this is 3 years old. Last iphone5 lasted me for 6 years and before the 4 I cannot remember

There is a simple trick I learned years ago when using a 3

NEVER. NEVER, EVER, under no circumstance, in your life, update the IOS

Your iphone will run fasta and OK until you update the last IOS not made for it

First thing is turn of ANY automatic thing, whatever. I want to have control. When I get the new update notification I just delete it

[​IMG]

For battery living, no automatic nothing, no notifications, no icloud and turn bright down

Pasta Player and schmee like this.
  9. telemnemonics

Screen brightness uses power too, lower settings are suggested but I don't run a dim screen.
    Every damn app wants to track you and location is a big nope!

10. imwjl

You might not think you "do email" but you said you are trying the photo share via email, and have Yahoo account. Your phone needs credentials for the mechanism (app, software, program) you use for sharing.

I'm REALLY certain my earlier instructions will fix this. We (IT department) do this at scale whether it's helping staff with their stuff or our devices.

At times people don't realize exactly how their setup is working. The re-do that I suggested is the fix. The check settings and that your stuff is there from your personal computer first insures your credentials are correct and that you have your stuff.

I'm equally confident on my suggestions for the battery issue. The battery health and usage you might not think about - services, location, background refresh - are it if it's not the cell phone function.

Again, good luck.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  11. Chuckboy

Chuckboy Tele-Meister

I have had this issue with photos not going to email on my iPhone 6 plus for ages. My workaround is this:
    1) install Gmail
    2) in gmail, choose Compose ...
    3) choose to attach/add photo ... brings up your photo library
    4) choose the photo(s) you want
    5) add text and click send.

Wulf and schmee like this.
  12. Chuckboy

Chuckboy Tele-Meister

buy a new battery

13. schmee

Thanks... When you say: "Log into Yahoo via web browser. If you're sure your mail looks good there - you have your stuff - wipe it off the phone, restart the phone, and set it up again."

What do you mean by "wipe it off"? Anything in Yahoo on the phone I delete, deletes on computer also...? You mean "delete account"? That will apply only to the phone, not Yahoo as a whole?

14. schmee

Battery data:
    [​IMG]

15. imwjl

It's battery health that's important. It will show how far off of original capacity.

The use Google's mail instead is like picking up a different same type of wrench with a different brand. Your native email client will work with any popular email type. When it's set up properly and when you have network connection it will share a photo via email. I've assumed you've checked your cellular data settings but that's another important setting.

Sorry to sound impatient or say I'm ready to be done, but we (IT) deal with it all the time. We do it for hundreds of people, and I'm certain there are billions of iPhones all mostly the same. You have to do the few simple suggestions I've given.

Settings => Mail => Accounts and you have your list to check or delete plus the pretty much can't fail if you have credentials way to add your Yahoo account.

16. imwjl

I'm saying delete the account (profile) from the phone if (and only if) your login to Yahoo from personal computer is fine. If you use Yahoo mail, Settings => Mail => Accounts is where you see, manage, setup or delete anything mail.

A SE model even of the older smaller type should still work.

Edit: Don't forget my words on making sure you're allowing the email to use cellular data.

17. schmee

OK, thanks for all your help. I've done what you said and what many others have suggested. I just deleted the Yahoo account on the phone. Now we'll see if that solves the battery depletion issue. (the wi fi and email was inactive already) If not, I'm going to assume it's a battery issue and just coincidental with the update. ... and have it replaced.

On my battery data, is it normal for "home and lock screen" to be the majority of battery usage? Seems weird. You can also see the huge jump in battery usage starting a few days ago.

18. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Afflicted

With respect, I completely disagree with you on this, @El Marin.

I understand the attitude. When I ran Windows and had Android smartphones, upgrades were chancy at best.

When one enters the Apple “walled garden”, one must understand that Apple will only “sign” iOS versions that are recent. This avoids Apple having to support older iOS versions, and maintains a user base more easily. If one doesn’t upgrade to the “signed” versions of iOS, your phone might work quite well - until it doesn’t. Then you must enter the Dante’s Circles of Hell that is Apple Support. And, if you don’t have a new or new-ish Mac or MacBook running High Sierra or better AND iTunes, you will be sent to the frozen 9th Circle of Hell - your nearest Apple Store, where the so-called “Geniuses” will show you polite but poorly disguised disrespect. And, in the words of Cake’s Comfort Eagle, “He is calling you ‘DUDE’”.

Just upgrade, and stay current. JMO.

19. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

There's a way to disconnect from the internet altogether, although you may want to reconnect for using email and updating.

Basically you turn off the wifi connection, and also the one from your phone provider, I thnik it's called "cellular data" or something like that in the settings.

20. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.