1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Not very bright when it comes to iPhones...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by schmee, Nov 23, 2020.

1. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Ain't that the truth.
    This is a long shot.... My iPhone SE quit sending pictures I take to email. I have no idea why and have tried all the online suggestions I think. I like the iPhone and this old one is fine with me.

So I did a "hard reset" a few days back thinking this may straighten it out. Nope. It still wont send photos but now it drains the battery real fast. Like 10-15% an hour when it's not even being used. Completely dead overnight.

From online searches they have some things to try which haven't worked. It acts like it's a bad battery, but evidently some of the embedded functions can do this, or programs running in the background. I cant find them though.
    Has anyone had this issue?

2. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I am running an IPhone 7, recently updated to the new software and I am seeing a significant battery decrease. I have turned all subscriptions and location services off to preserve battery usage, but I am not sure if it is working.

3. schmee

Yeah, that's where I'm at. arghhh

4. Tele22

Tele22 Tele-Meister

This may be your phone's way of telling you it's finally time for a new phone.

alnicopu, MilwMark, imwjl and 2 others like this.
  5. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Or Apple saying we need more of your money!!

6. Chupacabra

Chupacabra Tele-Meister

I'm still running a samsung S5. It's bulletproof. Added bonus, when all the lambs go to 5G phones, I'll have the 4G bandwidth all to myself.
    Uh, winning!

iPhone smchmi-Phone.

7. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Holic

Do you know about the 'spin test'? I only saw this on YouTube a couple of months ago. With your iPhone out of any 3rd party case, place the back of the phone on a flat surface like a kitchen worktop. Now see if it will spin. If it will, it means the battery has started to swell, and is pushing the metal casing of the phone outwards.

You might want to look here if your phone spins: https://www.ifixit.com/News/11211/what-to-do-with-a-swollen-iphone-battery. There are also videos on YT about this, so I'm not some lone crank trying to scare you! :D

If your phone doesn't spin, I suggest you go into Settings and scroll down until you get to the battery report option. This will tell you what % of the battery is working now, compared to when it was new.

Something to avoid is leaving your phone in direct sunlight, or in a hot vehicle etc. This drains the battery very quickly: https://www.m2computing.co.uk/phone-batteries-drain-warm-weather/

Hope that helps.

8. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Holic

The photo thing sounds like a software issue to me. I’m sure that’s fixable.. Few more details and I could try and suggest something for you.

I’m Still running my iPhone 7 Plus. Works great. Slight decrease in battery life but barely noticeable. I don’t feel the need to upgrade yet.

9. schmee

That's what I'm thinking. What details do you need? My battery runs totally flat /wont start up overnight now although phone unused, since I did the "hard reset"

10. schmee

I'm thinking of trying the alternate spin test... spin the phone, then see if you can wack it with a hammer! Seriously though, it's totally flat.

alnicopu, Pasta Player and BB like this.
  11. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

Get thee to an Apple store. Then can test the battery while you wait. I replaced an OK battery on my 7 when they were offering a $29 deal to help future proof it.

12. mindlobster

mindlobster Tele-Afflicted

Under some conditions Apple will deal with battery issues out of warranty, either free or cheap. My 1st gen Apple Watch battery swelled up and they replaced it with an Apple Watch 2 because the original parts weren't available. Worth contacting them.

13. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

love it...i always was under the impression that that little socket at the bottom was to link them together with a lump of string...like we did with old bean tins as kids

14. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

Just did the battery health check on my SE and it's at 91% which seems ok, only problem on mine is that the glass screen is starting to come away from the body!

15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Do you close all the apps regularly? Like twice a day?
    Do you have the TDPRI mobile app?
    Some apps including enthused digital's TDPRI mobile app seem to open themselves when you get notifications or something like that.
    Kept both draining my batters and using up my data when I was not using it.

I shut off the app in settings but that wasn't enough so I deleted the app entirely.
    Similar with ebay which self installed the app in my ipad, and keeps sending me notifications or trying to self open.

Not sure this is related to your emailing pics but it's housekeeping.

You know you can email pics from you email app, or from you pictures app, right?
    Tried both methods?
    If not, which way?

16. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Which is what most of the dozens of 4 or more year old mobile devices we manage do.

Racing to the corner if main street is still full doesn't really help make your trip. Your short trip to the tower doesn't represent how the whole network works. Except for mm wave, most 5G will work like LTE does for you now.

@schmee You're not saying how they won't send. Go to your accounts set up, and your iCloud setup. Make sure they're set up correctly. Make sure data is working whether your cellular connection or WiFi.

Not knowing about your email host, make sure the credentials work via the host's web site. Make sure your setup type - POP3, Exchange, Gmail, IMAP etc.... are correct.

If you know your mail host has all your stuff consider deleting the profile and setting it up again. If you receive email and can't send your mail host might not allow traffic from your cellular provider or you need to set up with SMTP authentication if it's an old school account set up. Check the support pages for you mail host to see if their instructions have changed.

Good luck.

17. schmee

Thanks.
    -Not using iCloud. Simply trying to send a pic I took to my email which is Yahoo. It worked fine for a long time.
    -I'm always using cellular unless I turn on wifi on the phone for some specific reason.
    -How it doesn't send:
    It appears to send like it used to. But it never arrives. I can see the "send" in my Outbox on the phone, but it never went out. I also don't get the "send sound" (in my case a "whoosh") when I send.

18. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

I think unfortunately this is sort of correct. My old iphone was developing various "problems". No matter how much info I was able to gather on the internet, nothing seemed to fix it. And slowly, more issues developed.

When I spoke to an Apple rep, the feedback was like he was trying to be helpful but really in his head he was thinking, "are you kidding man, don't you think it's time you get a new phone?"

I finally succumbed and got the SE, which is relatively cheaper than most other models, and am really happy with it...for at least a few years :)

schmee likes this.
  19. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Holic

Assuming you’re using the iphones email app/client simply named mail, navigate to your settings > mail > accounts. Try logging out of your account and back in.

20. schmee

It just lost 30% battery in 1.5 hours, just sitting.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.