1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Not twang on my Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Charli Durango, Jan 18, 2019.

1. rolloman

rolloman Tele-Holic

Cavalier Bakersfield bridge pup.

preactor and fortj3 like this.
  2. Rob77

Rob77 Tele-Meister

In my experience, I replaced my 2001 USA std tele pickups with Florance Voodoos and did lose some of that tele "twang". For me it was a trade-off as I was after slightly higher ouput pups for a great overdriven sound.
    I think try and swap the pickups as others have suggested.

3. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

I understand my friend, it’s our silly language! Your English is far better than my Spanish, you’re doing good!

Charli Durango likes this.
  4. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

... and the big lump of metal under the bridge pup, and that the bridge pup is mounted in an even bigger metal plate, and the string thru body, and the low output pups, and, etc, etc.

5. Brokenpick

Brokenpick Tele-Afflicted

On the traditional, easy, conversational sort of level -I've gotta disagree. That "my Tele sounds like a Tele" routine is no more specific than "I always sound like me".
    "Twanging" technique is a thing, and stuff like pickup height and amp(& amp settings, and pedals), pick thickness, - are serious contributors. ... (ALONG WITH pickups.... for sure...)
    But, that being said, the very definition of "Twang" varies a lot from one person to another. It has certainly never been satisfactorily nailed down here on the TDPRI.

It might be helpful for the OP to post examples of his playing his guitar thru that HRDX and not getting the "twang" desired.
    Also perhaps he could post an example of the type of "twang" he's looking for, as played by someone on YouTube or something.

The more specifics and actual reference points we get, -the more constructive our "solutions" can be.

6. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

String-thru body provides twang? They make Affinity telecasters in both thru-body and top-load configurations, and they don't sound any different. I put an overwound pickup in mine and while fattening up the tone somewhat, it did not affect "twang". However, when I replaced the stock saddles with the three brass ones.... instant twang. It made more of a difference than I thought it would.

7. Rockhead

Rockhead Tele-Meister

Generally speaking, hotter pickups have less treble compared to vintage output PuPs.

8. WelshBluesMan

WelshBluesMan Tele-Meister

A lot of the classic Tele twang comes from playing close to the bridge. Try picking right by the saddles and see if it twangs then...

985plowboy likes this.
  9. WelshBluesMan

WelshBluesMan Tele-Meister

I had a top loader Affinity Tele once, and while the twang was there, it had next to no sustain. A guy brought me a thru-body one to set up about a year ago, and I was surprised at how different it was. It rang like I'd expect a Tele to, while the top loader seemed dead by comparison.

Ess Eff likes this.
  10. fortj3

fortj3 Tele-Meister

I can't help with your problem, but just wanted to say that your guitar is beautiful.

11. Charli Durango

Charli Durango TDPRI Member

Thanks for your answer, if i can, this week i will record something so you can hear how it sound.
    The soud that i understand by twang is something like trebble, but with body, with the low strings sounding like "hollow" (I would not know how to explain it) raw and vintage...

preactor and rjtwangs like this.
  12. Charli Durango

Thanks!!

13. Charli Durango

Yes, I know, I've had and played with many telecasters in the past, and I could get that twang sound, even with my strat of the 70s I can sound a bit twangy, that's why my question is about this guitar in particular.

14. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

How often do you change strings?

15. Charli Durango

no more than one month or month and a half

16. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

You need to change strings after 10-12 HOURS of actual playing if twang is your thing. (All strings and especially the wound ones where twang lives die after that period).

17. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I think some of the "twang" is in the picking style, picking in such a way that the strings sort of slap back into place after being plucked hard. When I played my telecaster this only occurred if I played the strings hard, and never happened if I did hammer-ons or pull-offs.

preactor likes this.
  18. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Afflicted

ok i hear what youre saying now with sound.

imo pickups wont help that issue.

i like your playing real nice!

19. Brokenpick

Brokenpick Tele-Afflicted

Hate to say it..... but I gotta. This just simply isn't real.
    New strings may be easier to get a crisp twangy sound from...
    but, going beyond that ...is going sorta far.

As the OP says he's had other Tele's and gotten the sought after Twang, I'm falling back to the team that suggests a change of pickups. Other options could be something REALLY odd and wrong with strings, or one or more of the important string suspending parts- bad contact bridge plate to body, bad nut, bad saddle contact, etc. But...those type of things would probably make themselves known in other symptoms besides the search for Twanginess...

20. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's

"'Cause you know sometimes words have two meanings."

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.