1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Not too crazy about pickguard on Nocaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Kerry Vance, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Kerry Vance

Kerry Vance Tele-Meister

At the last Dallas Guitar Show, I bought a 1951 Nocaster Closet Classic. I love everything about it but the pickguard. A lot of time, I rest my pinkie and ring finger on the pickguard while I play and this one seems to have a totally different feel than any of my other Fenders. I am having to clean it every 30 minutes or so to keep it comfortably playable. For lack of another way to phrase it - it seems to almost gunk up or something. Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks.
    ......Kerry

2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Probably because it's bakelite - and it is gunking up. It's what old ones (and the '52Ri) have. One advantage of Bakelite: you don't get seem to get staticcy popping like you do with later materials.

Bakelite info

Bakelite is a synthetic resin chemically formulated and named after its Belgian inventor, Chemist L.H.Baekeland c.1909. It is pronounced "Bay Ka Lite". Originally it was used for molding items that were previously done of celluloid or hard rubber. One of the original uses was for pool balls. It is collectible in all its forms including jewelry, buttons, radio cases, lamps, dresser sets and many more items. It was used commercially for parts especially in electrical wiring. After bakelite and the introduction of so many other plastics and composition materials it was easy to confuse them all. People began to lump all plastics into one generic term "Bakelite". However, experienced collectors developed ways of testing for bakelite some of which follow. None, however, can take the place of your own experience and careful inspection. Check out books in your local library (see the end of this article) and talk to other collectors.

3. csapo

csapo Tele-Afflicted

Growing up, those of us over 40 probably had a telephone made of Bakelite! :eek:

4. titus

titus Tele-Meister

Does the 52RI really have a bakelite pickguard?

I just thought it was plastic....looks like it to me.
    I never gave it any thought.

hmmmm....gotta look into this.

-T

5. Scotland

Scotland Poster Extraordinaire

What do you mean used to ? ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.