Not sure yet to make of these Twisted Tele pickups

Bourbon Burst

Tele-Meister
I bought a 2021 Fender 75th Anniversary Tele last year that came with Twisted Tele pickups. The local stores didn't have that guitar so I based my decision on YouTube videos and forums.

The neck is nice and both pickups together is awesome. The bridge pickup is more powerful than the SD Alnico Pro pickups on my Squier Tele. Maybe I just need to get used to it. I have been rolling down the volume for recording.

What are the thoughts on these pickups. I see that the Twisted Tele neck pickup has been paired with a Broadcaster bridge pickup. How different is the Broadcaster pickup?

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Have you spent a significant amount of time, yet, on dialing in pickup helghts? if not, go find a screwdriver and an hour.

Try setting the neck pickup height first, then set the bridge pickup to match the neck volume. If the resulting tones are what you want, then do it again starting with the bridge pickup. Don't be afrait to tilt the pickups to one side or another to get balance on string volumes.

There's much you can do that may remedy the root cause of the imbalance. It's way to early do consider another pickup.

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I had them once and thought they were great. Ended up selling the guitar, but that was for unrelated reasons. They seemed to be a bit hotter than standard tele pickups.

Bruxist

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
If you do a search on here, you should find yourself swimming in info on the Twisted Tele neck pickup, but I don't recall seeing much discussion on the bridge pickup here.

SPUDCASTER

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
"Grab a screwdriver and let your ears be your guide"........Fezz Parka

The Twisted will be a little on the "Stratty" side and the Broadcaster will tend to be more on the "snarly" side.

After some adjustment, to your liking. Not to be snarky, but the only opinion that counts will be yours.

Let us know what you think of them.

Bourbon Burst

Tele-Meister
Have you spent a significant amount of time, yet, on dialing in pickup helghts? if not, go find a screwdriver and an hour.

Try setting the neck pickup height first, then set the bridge pickup to match the neck volume. If the resulting tones are what you want, then do it again starting with the bridge pickup. Don't be afrait to tilt the pickups to one side or another to get balance on string volumes.

There's much you can do that may remedy the root cause of the imbalance. It's way to early do consider another pickup.
My Guitar tech set it up for me after I bought it. I went when .10s on it. It isn't so much of an imbalance, more of it just being hotter than expected.

Paul G.

Friend of Leo's
I have a set in my CS Tele, I like 'em, especially the neck. Yes, they are pretty powerful, but with excellent clarity.

They do sound a bit "untraditional", and you might just need to get used to them, allowing them to do their thing instead of trying to hear what they aren't.

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
I have a set in my CS Tele, I like 'em, especially the neck. Yes, they are pretty powerful, but with excellent clarity.

They do sound a bit "untraditional", and you might just need to get used to them, allowing them to do their thing instead of trying to hear what they aren't.
This is the most meaningful advice so far. Different from what you expected doesn’t make pickups bad. I spent 10 years trying to equalize and adjust the FilterTron pickups in my Gretsch to my liking until I gave up and adjusted and equalized them to sound as good as I could possibly make them sound and now I love them and the guitar. You may have in the TT’s what you always wanted but just don’t know it yet. Give them a chance. Give yourself a chance to get your settings right for them. Getting older (too fast) and wiser (never quickly enough) I’ve come to the conclusion that there’s almost nothing unplayable out there but too many players who want to blame it on their gear. Give your TT pickups three to six months and see if you don’t change your mind.

BTW, a screw driver is your friend but an equalizer like a BOSS EQ-200 with its +/- 15dB level slider can become your best friend. You’ll feel instantly at home somewhere between -3dB and -6dB and you can cut low and mid frequencies a bit to make your TT pickups sound more traditional.

DanglingNutslots

Tele-Meister
I bought a 2021 Fender 75th Anniversary Tele last year that came with Twisted Tele pickups. The local stores didn't have that guitar so I based my decision on YouTube videos and forums.

The neck is nice and both pickups together is awesome. The bridge pickup is more powerful than the SD Alnico Pro pickups on my Squier Tele. Maybe I just need to get used to it. I have been rolling down the volume for recording.

What are the thoughts on these pickups. I see that the Twisted Tele neck pickup has been paired with a Broadcaster bridge pickup. How different is the Broadcaster pickup?
The Custom Shop versions in my Tele are my favourite pickups of all time. I play rock.

Bourbon Burst

Tele-Meister

I have come to really like the TT bridge pickup. You were right, instead of comparing them to Alnico 2 pickups, I realized that I like these and it gives another pallet of sound to choose from. They can drive a tube amp to a slight overdrive.

Groberts

Tele-Holic
I have a set of custom shop handwired Twisted Tele PU's that came in a Fender Custom Shop 63 heavy Relic Tele. I loved the guitar so much I had to buy it. After a while I became disenchanted and tried a set of Voodoo TE60's and my Twisted Tele's have been in a box ever since. ...until I decided to try them in NAMM 2017 Ltd Ed Fender CS Nocaster heavy relic. The TT bridge PU is HOT. It is would to 10K and just didn't rock my world. The TT neck PU sounds too scooped in the midrange for me. Sort of a hollow sound. Keep in mind I loved the guitar when I bought it, so they are absolutely great PU's. My preferences changed and now I find the bridge too hot and the neck too scooped.

fender4life

Friend of Leo's
I have a set of custom shop handwired Twisted Tele PU's that came in a Fender Custom Shop 63 heavy Relic Tele. I loved the guitar so much I had to buy it. After a while I became disenchanted and tried a set of Voodoo TE60's and my Twisted Tele's have been in a box ever since. ...until I decided to try them in NAMM 2017 Ltd Ed Fender CS Nocaster heavy relic. The TT bridge PU is HOT. It is would to 10K and just didn't rock my world. The TT neck PU sounds too scooped in the midrange for me. Sort of a hollow sound. Keep in mind I loved the guitar when I bought it, so they are absolutely great PU's. My preferences changed and now I find the bridge too hot and the neck too scooped.
It's 10k yes, but it's not all that hot because it;s wound with 43 gauge and the equivalent output in a pickup with 42 gauge would be around 7.7k. A little hot but not real hot. I tried the Bootstrap version and it was ok but i just never quite like any 43 gauge pickup i have tried. Something there i can't put my finger on but i know it when i play it. The neck i like, at least the Boostrap version. True it;s less middy then most and low output but it rally does the best job i have heard to date in a tele for those slightly broken up hendrix or SRV kinds of things. It's 42 tho. If you want a more middy version thats still quite chimey but not scooped, try a dimarzio twang king in the neck. They're great. I love both but i think i slightly prefer the "twisted" spec.