Not really wanting to start ANOTHER CL thread but...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Norton72, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Norton72

Norton72 Tele-Afflicted

How do y'all deal with someone who responds with "What's the lowest you'd take for it"? I'm trying to sell a truck and that's the email I just got from a guy. My response was "What's the most you'd pay for it?" I listed my asking price plus "OBO". So yes, I left the door open for negotiation. But, if I were considering buying anything, I'd want to look at it first. How can you negotiate a price on a 42 year old truck you've only seen a few pictures of? "What's the lowest you'd take for it" is not my idea of negotiating.

2. 4string

4string Friend of Leo's

So what is the lowest you will take for it?

:lol:

3. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I would respond with "Come take a look at it and decide if you even want it before we discuss price".

4. Norton72

Norton72 Tele-Afflicted

How about I put a few numbers in a hat, and whichever one you pull out is the one you pay?

5. TeleAnon

TeleAnon Tele-Meister

The higher the cost of an item on Craigslist, the more likely a seller is to have listed it for more than the final selling price. Everyone knows that, even you.

If they write OBO, I lead off by offering $1, and ask what number my competition has offered.

If they say that they haven't gotten other offers..... My $1 is their BO.

Never say OBO. Say ORO, or better yet "reasonable offers considered, if you're willing to treat this transaction as if you aren't a dick".

That would keep me from offering you $1, or asking you "what's the lowest you'll do"?

6. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Come look at it and bring your cash. If you hit a number I like you can take it home.

I have one for sale right now also. Bids are 1275.00 more than I expected. Just hold your ground. Pickup trucks are worth a bundle. Hope you aren't in a hurry.

7. wmsimpson

wmsimpson Tele-Holic

I don't see anything wrong with asking the question. A lot of folks set their price a little high, expecting to come down a bit.

If you don't want to come down, just say so. No big deal as far as I'm concerned.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

8. 4string

4string Friend of Leo's

Post on CL and the idiots will beat a path to your inbox.

9. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My standard answer to someone asking what's the lowest you'll take: I'm selling the item. It's your job to buy it. Make me an offer.

"Or best offer" means what YOU, THE SELLER decide it means. If you stated an asking price then it is up to the buyer to make an offer. If his offer is not acceptable then the selling price is what you stated in the add and you can lower to meet in the middle with negotiation. Also, you are not bound to reveal any other offer to a buyer.

Also, there are some items that flip the "or best offer" ad around the other way. Sometimes someone will list an item too low and actually receive offers ABOVE the asking price and the "best offer" turns into an auction.

10. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I'd just tell them, "there is some wiggle room if you're seriously interested."

11. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

i would have just answered the question. if you dont know what price you are selling it for then why/how are you selling it?

usually it works like this:

I wanna sell X. I want $1000 for it. I will ask $1200. I will take $1000.

If asked how much will I let it go for Id say $1000. if they say how about $900? I say Nope.

always ask higher than what you want and that takes care of the wiggle room.

12. Teletubbi

Teletubbi Tele-Holic

on.

"If you like it, how much ($) ?, do you like it."
    Always get the other guy to spit out the first offer. Thats his base, you have your base and some good natured discussion might bring the two close enough for a handshake. If not both can move on.
    Discussing numbers by phone or email is a fools game. IMO

13. gionnio

gionnio Tele-Meister

I get messages like that immediately after listing almost anything. I think they're generated by a scambot. I just delete them and move on because I always ask for a contact number in my add and the messages never include one.

14. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

This is my position as well. Any serious buyer will want to look before they buy just to make certain the seller hasn't misrepresented the item. CL sales don't normally include a 14 day return privilege.

"What's the least you'll take is" a shopper or flip artists looking for price only. He hasn't even agreed to buy it for that price he's simply pegging it to compare with whatever else he's shopping and it could be many others. If that's not his agenda then he's an amateur as far as negotiations go.

I've already listed my asking price. The next move is up to the buyer not me. If a buyer wants a better deal the best way he can do that is to show up cash in hand and deal with me face to face. To me that may lead to a sale but an email inquiry about my bottom line won't get a response to that question.

Try calling a car dealership about a used car they have listed for $9900 and ask them over the phone what's the least they'll take. If you even get an answer I guarantee you it won't be an honest one.

15. Norton72

Norton72 Tele-Afflicted

This is the way I see it.

By the way, this morning I had a email response from him with a lowball offer. Since it was in response to the question "what is the most you would pay," I just said "no thanks".

16. Norton72

Norton72 Tele-Afflicted

That would be great if you were the only one interested in the truck. There is a lot of interest in this truck. If he wants to play games I don't really feel the need to accommodate him. "Or reasonable offer" may be a better way to describe what I want to hear, but OBO to me doesn't mean "or the best offer YOU are willing to make", it means "or the best offer that I receive out of all offers". It's up to the buyer to be the one who makes the best offer, if he wants the truck.

I listed a fair price. I have a figure in mind that would be the lowest I would take, but it's not how much I want to sell the truck for. To give someone my bottom price without negotiation when there are other interested parties does not serve my best interests.

I am not in a hurry to sell this truck. I know what they are worth because I spent literally years watching then on Ebay, Craigslist and other auto sales sites. I've seen some listed at ridiculously high prices, but I also know at what price point they have sold. I'm sure that eventually someone will buy it at a price that will satisfy us both.

17. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Stuff like that gets your email deleted as soon as I read it when I'm selling on CL.

18. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

I have sold a lot of things on CL with good results. I always post "no emails or texts please call *** ****" and I use a pre paid phone. One time I forgot to check the no e-mail box and the replies from goofs and scammers was astonishing. It is a lot easier to harass someone by e-mail than to make a phone call. Whenever someone tries to lowball me on the phone, I ask them how they can make an offer without seeing it.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  19. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

Ya'll sound like a bunch of folks who don't want to sell anything. If you want to sell something, be nice and negotiate with them. I think it is a reasonable question and a good start to negotiations. It is a question I have asked and been asked and I buy and sell a lot of gear, have worked as a salesman in the past where I was a top seller and have ran my own successful business for 20 years. Maybe it is a regional thing.

20. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I usually say come take a look at it, my trailer is the last one on the left after you get on the dirt road.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.