Not new...but new to me. Julian Lage Trio Live in LA

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by elpico, Oct 5, 2019.

1. elpico

elpico Tele-Holic

BigDaddyLH, SuprHtr and dan1952 like this.
  2. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Holic

Good stuff isn’t it. I only found him earlier this year. You might like this one too:

And if, like me, you’ve only just found Julian Lage, maybe Bill Frisell could be new to you as well??

BigDaddyLH, elpico and dan1952 like this.
  3. elpico

elpico Tele-Holic

Ooh thanks man. Too bad I'm so far up the coast from LA because I see this is happening:

https://cap.ucla.edu/calendar/details/bill_frisell_and_julian_lage_duo

SuprHtr likes this.
  4. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Meister

Frisell and Lage double bill!!!! Arghhhh! Too bad I'm so far east!

elpico likes this.
  5. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

Julian Lage is just a freaking monster player. Kind of blows my mind that he's almost exactly my daughter's aga (he's one week younger). Then again, blows my mind that she's a doctor too. But she can't play like this guy!

elpico likes this.
  6. Mick Sullivan

Mick Sullivan TDPRI Member

Modern Lore is a wonderful album of his.

I think he plays a Nachocaster on it.

elpico likes this.
  7. Kmaxbrady

Kmaxbrady TDPRI Member

Seeing him live in Portland next Friday! So stoked.

elpico likes this.
  8. elpico

elpico Tele-Holic

Dang I'm jealous. Don't happen to have an extra ticket do you? :lol: I checked his schedule but Portland and Seattle are both sold out and I don't feel like driving to Chico...

9. Kmaxbrady

Kmaxbrady TDPRI Member

Nope, I have two tickets and I’m definitely taking my wife. But if she gets sick or something I’ll let you know :)

10. Kmaxbrady

Kmaxbrady TDPRI Member

This will be my third time seeing him live. First time was an acoustic show with Chris Eldridge, second time was the Modern Lore tour. I’d like to see a hybrid show someday with a mix of trio and acoustic stuff.

11. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Meister

Julian Lage is simply fantastic. He played at the age of 8 with Santana.
    My favorite, especially when he‘s playing Telecasters (Nachocaster, 1954 Blackguard).

12. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Holic

13. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Have you heard Frisell and Lage in Healdsburg Ca a couple years ago.

Very interesting, Friz has his way of playing where he layers chords one note at a time and lets it all hang in space, a sonic tapastry.
    Julian followed Friz at the important moments but then he went frantic genius and quickly Friz had too respond. That's one thing about Julian, he's not shy to step in and tear it up.

Bill responded by also playing more notes faster. Some of the most notey Friz I've heard. Not Julian fast but fast. And not just fast but beautiful like Wes was playing.

They played all standards that they had not rehearsed.

Think I'll listen to it now.

14. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Ive also discovered him late last year, Ive been hooked on him ever since.. He's really good, and even if I havent met him or watched him live yet, I think he's a good, approachable guy! i wish I have his chops though...

but he's one of the reasons I immediately looked for a jazz guitar teacher and took formal jazz lessons! only lasted a few sessions though, a new baby came into our lives, so I have no more time! LOL

15. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Meister

I just saw him last night. He just keeps getting better and better live. He brought his Nacho tele back but with a P90 in the neck and no more Champ.

16. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

What are your thoughts on Lage Lund, Gilad Hekselman, and Mike Moreno?

17. dreamingtele

My guitar teacher listens to Gilad Hekselman, but Im not familiar with Mike Moreno and Lage Lund.. thanks for recommending them to me! I need more of this kind of guys to listen and learn (copy LOL) from! Im honestly tired of doing blues all the time, I want to expand and learn something new and inject something different to my genre..

18. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Another must watch early Julian showing his fire on a borderline gypsy sound. Django would enjoy Julian.

19. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Well those are some of the young lyons on the scene today, a generation behind Rosenwinkle, who is a generation behind Sco. If you haven't heard Scofield he is most definately a must get to know. He rewrote tge book on funk blues jazz guitar. And then there's Pat Metheny, Robben Ford,,, his jazz side.

20. dreamingtele

My wife is a walking music library.. While growing up, all I knew were Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, maybe a bit of Alternative rock bands like Soundgarden, Red hot, The Verve, etc.. When we started dating, she introduced me to Toto, Rippingtons, Tears for Fears, Path Metheny, and etc etc.,. I was surprised on how much I missed.. I just discovered Robben Ford (flew under my radar) early last year..

These are the people/bands I need to know! my guitar teacher is educated in Berkley, and is a jazz musician, but given the time constraints and just wanting to have something different and improve my repertoire and also improve my guitar playing skills, he recommended me to learn Jazz Blues for now..

Yes I havent heard of Scofield.. Thank you.. Can you post a good link for me to listen to?

So far our lessons have ended on whole note scales and some jazz introduction on a 12 bar blues.. but he wanted me to listen first to classics like Miles Davis.. etc..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.