Not In My Backyard

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by muchxs, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

Trust me, most small town residents have seen what cesspools modern cities are. Why do you think we live in small towns? :lol:

2. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

We seem to have an LNG export terminal coming. There was loud opposition for a while, but the frackers seem to have outwaited it, and lined up the permits they need. There goes the neighborhood, as far as I can see.

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

There are some very livable cities out there. I'd list them, but I don't want the thread locked :lol:

4. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

Wait; didn't they just spend 15 years arguing over an import terminal? And what about the Snowy Plover?

5. Justinvs

I can't imagine ever living in a city - any city - on purpose. In all honesty I would rather commit suicide than have to confine myself in a place with that many people.

6. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

But for a local who does go to work for the new company, the upside would be tremendous. Financial security, health insurance, retirement benefits, paid vacations... these are all things that a lot of people who live in rural areas would love to have the option to get, and they don't.

7. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Good questions. There's an odd combination of smugness and glibness going on; the import/export shift was quick and quiet. The posted plover grounds are just across the road from the terminal site.

They did tear up every street in town a few years ago to install gas lines, and the fill lines are still with us, sort of a citywide grid of paved-over 12" ruts, fun for driving. No gas in the lines, though I guess if they pipe in gas for an export terminal, we can tap into that pretty readily.

It is true that our area could use some good jobs, and I guess it will be nice to see ships in the bay again, once we get used to the fact that any one of them, or the storage tanks, could blow us all to kingdom come. And I'm personally excited about being able to light my tap water.

8. Justinvs

Yes, but if we truly wanted those things we would have already moved to a city, which is what a lot of country kids do. Those of us who remain in rural areas prefer quality of life over financial advancement, and do so knowing the inherent trade-offs living in the country presents. Poverty is a small price to pay for what we get in return.

9. Warm Gums

Warm Gums Friend of Leo's

Yea we have that but the "express" still makes 4-5 stops and the regular 8-9. Few of which are directly on 29..like I said MMT.
    I did read a funny article where a Severnsider decided to retire after reducing his DC work week from 3 to 2 to ONE day. The bus got caught on NY Ave and the driver popped open the door somewhere around the old Hecht's warehouse and decreed "folks you might as well walk in, we ain't 'goin anywhere." :lol:

10. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I used to work for a large manufacturing company that loved having huge manufacturing facilities in relatively rural areas--often in the South, where unions aren't very popular.

We flat out had to rehire people we would fire. Had a 1000-employee facility in a county in Kentucky that probably had about 5000 people--and of course that includes children, those too old to work, those who already had other jobs etc.

Didn't work out very well.

11. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

They didn't need a union did they. :)

12. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Remember the rules, be careful! ;)

13. Mjark

But you don't have to drive, and passengers are not the disenfranchised.These days you could work if you wanted to. DC isn't the only place with traffic in the world. You have to pay a fee to drive a car into London these days.

I sometimes wonder as I sit in traffic on 695 and look around me at each car with only one person in it how much energy we're using, how privileged we are living in a country where such behavior is possible.

14. Warm Gums

Warm Gums Friend of Leo's

Exactly, which is why I oped out of that scene (no I'm not the NYA guy, but I understand him) To me it makes no sense to spend hours commuting & taking a job away from someone in the District that really needs it, basically so I can cover the cost of keeping a newish car on the road. I can get locally by with my beater & bike and have time to spend time with friends working on things I enjoy.
    I can understand doing the commute if you are supporting a family or enjoy the responsibilities and benefits that come with a significant pay check,or simply have a job you like, but that's not me.

It would be interesting live in town to simply hop on Metro and take in a concert, or hit a museum, but I'm a little old for roommates..

15. Mjark

Well yes, my point of view is nearly 63 years in the making. When I was in my 30's though I worked in Center City Philadelphia and lived in what was still a pretty rural area. I took a bus and a train every day. One of the bus stops was the county detention center where the work release prisoners would get on. It was quite the experience and not just because of them.

16. BigDaddyLH

Slippery slope to Locksville, that.

17. Mjark

Irony?

18. BigDaddyLH

One should know better than try be ironic online.

19. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I had some funny stuff to say about acquaintances and their NIMBYisms for choices they made and a business near them but instead think I'll smile.

IBTL?

:)

20. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I can suggest what my wife and I did for the stress and animosity I'm sensing. We moved from maybe a typical 25 - 45 min one way in a car to 1.8 mi from her job, and where we can even walk or ride a bike to do business and errands. Where the kids can use feet, bike or bus K-12.

It's hard to be NIMBY because where we are all the back yards have been developed 30-100+ years ago.

We suffer (not really) with smaller garage but have joy being home when many we know are glued to a car seat stuck in traffic.

:)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.