Not In My Backyard

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by muchxs, Jun 24, 2014.

1. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Small world!

My old man was in construction. He worked on Playboy's Vernon Valley / Great Gorge Resort, too.

Sussex County may have built up significantly in the last 40 years. Yup, clearly it has. I think growth has flatlined lately. I was there a couple months ago. It's kinda dumpy compared to ten years ago.

2. 6942

6942 Poster Extraordinaire

muchxs..................................................................

He and his brothers, also did the electrical work for the old Vernon Valley Brewery.
    I was actually there, for the.....Grand Opening.
    They had an outdoor tent set up, with beer, food, etc.
    The German Brew Masters did NOT speak a single word of English.
    But the youngest brother did his military service in West Berlin, and thus spoke German fluently!
    I had a great time that weekend!!

Steve

3. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't think you'll be sharing some big secret, or that you'll be insulting an entire town. Do you remember the name of the company and town?

4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Big money arriving in small towns can have a wide variety of effects on the residents.
    You "hinted" that the company didn't go from zero to 8k employees in a day, so does that mean that pretty much all the jobs were already taken by out-of-towners?
    And maybe some janitor and security guard jobs will be available for the locals?
    And of course the town will have to spend money to improve the roads and water and sewer, so the property taxes will go up?

Or is the company actually offering good jobs to lots of the locals and they are just complaining out of habitual curmudgeonliness?

5. Badabing

Badabing Friend of Leo's

Get off my GRASS!

6. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I agree.

7. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

I love my small community. I only wish there were more good paying jobs for what I do. I can teach, and get paid a small salary. But if I land a job 120 miles away, I can triple my salary.

However, I understand that to make that kind of money at home, my area will have to change--dramatically. And I may not like that. I moved here for reasons that include less traffic, noise, crime, and hassle.

I think I'd rather go where the jobs are than bring them and their issues here. But I would be one of thousands of voices in that debate.

All in all, I'd rather just go where the jobs are and leave this place the same. In fact, I'm trying to do that now.

But with the economy on a slow rebound, I wouldn't stand in the way of job creation, no matter where it is.

8. Warm Gums

Warm Gums Friend of Leo's

LOL a few years back I was on tour with a group going from Richmond to Philly, we hit the Balt/Wash @ 3am, reasonably quiet, I could hear the bus and semi drivers ratchet jawing "why is it 55 thru here? six lanes of nothin..I told 'em come back in 3 hours and you will be lucky to do 25, just got some looks ( hire company out of west Texas..one guy didn't like tunnels, the Norfolk area shows were tough on him) I got off in NYC and ran into them later in the summer.."man you were right, We hit D.C. at like seven in the AM, took hours to get clear, how do you live there..? Told 'em I had a jet pack..
    I wish..
    It's pretty impossible now, I live 25 miles from DC, even using the train that's 1.5hrs minimum, most days it's more like 2-2.5. Be great to live in town, last job offer I had required it (employer gets a tax credit) to bad it only paid 30K, I guess it came with a box.

9. 6942

I used to live in a small (pop.: 1,400) Maryland town, near the Appalachian Trail in the Blue Ridge Mountains.
    I 'good job' for me, meant a daily commute of 137 miles round trip to a railroad yard.

10. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Almost sounds like a story in the Onion.

11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My commute is 15 to 20 minutes, depending on the time of day. I'd hate for it to be longer.

12. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

If you work in DC you need your employer to pay your parking, take metro or a bus. I used to go to Tyson's Corner from Annapolis it was a slog mornings not bad but going home would get worse each day until Friday's nightmare.

Now I go to Towson just above Baltimore City inside 695. It's 100 miles a day.

I haven't had a job in town that was decent. One about 30 minutes away once. But I left it to go to Baltimore for mo money.

13. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

:lol:

14. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

All true. A few years ago Cabelas wanted to build a huge store on the north west edge of Milwaukee. They wanted a sweet deal on the land and taxes and they asked for a lot concessions. Cabelas got turned down by the village where they wanted to build. A sleepy township that is about one mile north heading out of the city offered them the land and property tax breaks and they rolled out the red carpet.

People followed the business news daily and we all thought that the Cabelas store concept had died and then they started building the massive store about 2 freeway exits away from the original target. I bought a kayak there a couple weeks ago on my 50th birthday. I enjoy shopping there.

The new Cabellas is gigantic and fast food joints and convenience gas stations and an Ashley Furniture Store opened across from them and people drive from all over the state to go there. A twenty acre corn field now hosts about 300 new jobs.

15. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Like he said.

16. Warm Gums

Warm Gums Friend of Leo's

Oh the bus will drive you insane, no non stop routes from here, it's like a magical mystery tour; look a Ground Hog let's stop for it! Maybe it needs a ride to Silver Spring!, Is that a parking lot? no just an abandon car on a gravel patch, I know LET's MAKE THIS A STOP!:rolleyes:
    MARC train is OK, except it takes almost 30 min to go the 10 miles to get to it, if I could do flex time (like 6 am to 2pm :eek:) it would be Ok, When I worked at UMd I would leave at 6 if I got there earlyI would go sit in on 8 am classes, If I was "late" I was still on time (usually ), but that makes for a looog day, and not really worth 15K a year…

17. 6942

Ah yes, nuttin' like a relaxing urban bus ride.
    Where the bum next to you peed his pants 24 hours ago, and is now nice-n'-ripe.

18. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Not a public bus. You can get a bus at the park and ride here that goes straight in and dumps people off at one or two places downtown.

19. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I agree but the solution is to buy up the land around you; put conservation easements or use restrictions on it if you wanna keep the taxes manageable.

Trying to buy up some acreage myself in this way but we're having a problem. Seems the land surveyor made some mistakes in the past and the seller doesn't wanna shoulder the harm it has caused her. ;)

20. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

Not knocking people getting jobs or anything, but if I lived in a town that was about to have that sort of influx I would hate it too. Taxes would rise, infrastructure (schools, roads, etc) would have to be expanded and all the problems inherent with growth would destroy what had probably been a nice place to live.

For a local - especially one who won't be working for the new company - there really is no upside.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.