1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Not Guitar Related - But A TOOL nonetheless!

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by Engraver-60, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

I've been off doing other than trying to finish my guitar builds, and I've become quite involved in some woodturning. That darned Shopsmith thing got me started on woodturning with its lathe capabilities; but without doing a lot of tool mods and adding a lot of weight it becomes a Hopsmith with an off balance rough piece. So, I have ordered, and I am waiting to receive my first dedicated wood lathe - a new model from Grizzly - G0766. It's a hoss, and should suit my hollowing and bowl ventures well. I've told them to delay the shipment for 30 days while we sell our current fix & flip house and move to another house. Needless to say, I am EXCITED with the prospects of being able to turn large items whenever I want.

g0766.jpg

With this new addition to my wood shop, I should be able to turn more deep vessels like the ones I did last year at JC Campbell Folk School:

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Nice addition. Hopsmith... that is funny.... Years ago, I stored a friends wood lathe in my basement and turned a couple things on it. They are a lot of fun....except when the Paduak dust goes airborne.

3. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

Sweet Mark ! That'll throw some shavings I'll bet .

4. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's

I've often thought about owning a lathe. Although I don't really have a specific use for one, they look like they'd be a lot of fun!

5. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

Well, HNTD to you sir!

I've seen guys make pickups with tools like that. Just saying.

6. Engraver-60

And I can use it to wind pickups :)
    Variable speed and all.

7. Engraver-60

These are the kinds of deep vessels I have done so far, and be very careful - if you ever try woodturning , you, too, will fall into the vortex.

0527140437a.jpg
    0527140438a.jpg
    0811130841.jpg
    new ambrosia vessel.jpg

8. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

I to love using a lathe, though mine is for metals. Being a machinist I use mine for the small metal parts for guitars, cars, threads and bushings. And mine is variable speed, now if I could control it with a foot pedal, there's a pickup winder. They are fun with the shavings flying off. People pass by and stare at them like a camp fire. The worst have no safety glasses on.
    Love your stuff, beautiful wood and imagination to make it.

9. BluesBlooded

BluesBlooded Friend of Leo's

That I'll be the largest pickup winder here :lol:

Great fun with my small lathe that also doubles as a pickup winder.

Enjoy!

10. Ziggy

Ziggy Tele-Holic

Looks great! If you ever have problems with vibration from out of balance wood you can put a plank across the rails at the bottom and add sandbags.

11. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Seems like overkill for bridge pins and strap buttons, but I don't want to give you any ideas...

12. VintageMike

VintageMike TDPRI Member

Great thing about a wood lathe is that you can use just about any type of wood and make as much rabbit bedding as you want. Some woods turn better than others. I like oak for spindles and I used maple to make a shop chisel mallet. Pine turns easy and is cheap. I unknowingly gravitated towards a skew chisel then onward to a radius skew. I seem to be able to do more with those than the other tools.

13. Engraver-60

Been away for a long while - turning wood and making sawdust. I have not turned anything spectacular yet, but soon I will. It is so nice to have my Last Lathe First!! This thing is so heavy and solid, when I have turned out of balance bowl blanks, nary a wiggle from the lathe. I turned a limb from a Bald Cyprus that was at the last house, and it was 4" diameter with a 2" off center jog near the middle (think jump rope) and at 1000 rpms, no vibrations at all. Eventually I will get back to making progress on all the guitars I started, but in the meantime, I am enjoying the spinny stuff.

14. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

How about some pics of what you've been spinning on that lathe Mark .

15. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

I think you can get some nice knobs so I'd say it's for guitar work ;)
    Ya, lets see what you're turning!

16. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

I've recently started asking around at church trying to find someone that knows what they're doing with one of those well enough to turn me a banjo rim. Main reason I don't just wait and do it myself is I'm pretty sure I'd get hooked on turning things and end up investing too much time and money in it. I've got plenty of other woodworking left to learn as it is! Maybe some day though.

17. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aren't banjo rims laminated? Seems like the ones I've examined are. Maybe I've only gotten my paws on cheap banjos.

I'm same as you other guys, I'm kinda afraid to try it, because it does look like it would become VERY addictive, and I REALLY don't need another hobby just now.

18. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Hey nice work Mark. Guys... a sure fire way to unhook yourself.... turn a paduak bowl without dust collection....:)

19. Engraver-60

Yes most banjo rims are laminated, even the very best ones (Tony Pass' reclaimed maple from Lake Michigan). The banjo maker I used to hand engrave for here in Nashville area, made them from thin maple, say 1/16" x 24" wide, and steamed and formed them around pipe then glued them up so seams were never near each other, until he made his rim thickness. Then let the cure and sliced them off on a lathe with parting tools. Very labor intensive. But I also have a neighbor who made his son a drum set of hardwood (snakeskin and Paduak). He turned up to a 30" diameter outboard on his Powermatic 3520B lathe. The hardware alone would have stopped me.

BTW: I've made three 50 gallon bags of really nice sawdust, 5 bowls, a couple of lidded jars, several tiny birdhouse ornaments, napkin rings, and more sawdust. The largest bowl so far has been a quilt maple about 10" diameter x 5" deep. I get the center cores from a fellow who start large, cores out the center, and anything less than 12" then gets tossed to members of the club. I hear chainsaws and go running, now. The sawdust has been going to fellow engineer at work who has chickens. They love it.

20. Engraver-60

Pictures of some of my latest creations.

Quilt Maple bowl
    0104160449c.jpg
    0104160449d.jpg

Black Walnut Bowl
    0104160449b.jpg
    0104160449a.jpg

Japanese Maple lidded box

Christmas Tree Birdhouse ornaments
    0104160449f.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.