Not expecting much of a show....blew me away!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Stanford Guitar, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Holic

What concerts have you been to not expecting much and left a convert?

For me, I saw Jackson Browne at Mountain Winery in Saratoga, CA last year. He we unbelievable, at 70! I was a fan before, but now I'm a HUGE fan. He is truly incredible live.

2. Aldus Bunbury

Aldus Bunbury TDPRI Member

Two shows in the mid-1980s: Joe Walsh was opening for Stevie Nicks. I hadn’t planned to stay for her portion of the show, but she was much better than I’d expected—Waddy Wachtel on guitar and Roy Bittan on piano. It turned out to be great. The other show had Katrina and The Waves opening for Don Henley. They blew Henley off the stage. That was a complete surprise. Walking on Sunshine, indeed.

3. Area51

Area51 Tele-Holic

Mountain Winery is a great venue to see anyone!

Around '80 I saw the Kinks. Didn't expect that much. It was their comeback album, Low Budget, they were supporting. Damn did they put on a good show! It was at the Santa Barbara County Bowl. Great night!

4. P Bill

P Bill Tele-Meister

CW Stoneking was support for Nathaniel Rateliff in Brisbane awhile ago and stole the night.

Two horns, double bass, drums and vocals.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  5. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Holic

I saw Maroon5 open for Counting Crows at Shoreline in Mtn View, CA. Maroon5 was awesome, Counting Crows sucked. I doubt Maroon5 ever opened for anyone after that season, they headlined!

24 track and Greggorios like this.
  6. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

Grateful Dead... 1970. didn't care for 'em until I saw them

mad dog, 24 track, Area51 and 4 others like this.
  7. KW1977

KW1977 Tele-Meister

Dawes @ Stubb’s, 6/25/15. I’d heard a couple of their singles on the radio and dug them enough to wanna check it out. But man I got WAY more than I bargained for which was one of the best, not to mention most transcendent and uplifting shows I’ve ever seen. Dug deep into their catalog after that night and never looked back. It’s music for the full spectrum of life events.

8. Ghostdriver

Ghostdriver Tele-Meister

Strange one this, but I went to see the Bangles in 86, only because i had a thing for Susannah Hoffs, as I guess did a lot of guys, on the back of their Manic Monday hit, but I knew they had been around as I followed the whole Paisley Underground thing with likes of Long Ryders, Green on Red, Dream Syndicate, Rain Parade et al, but they were such good musicians and a very tight outfit and could really play well, not just a POP band but a well drilled outfit....good gig !
    The bonus was my mates launched me onto the stage and I did get to kiss the lovely Susannah before the bouncers threw me back in to the mosh ha ha !

bowman and Greggorios like this.
  9. 63telemaster

63telemaster Tele-Meister

Del Amitri. Was looking forward to seeing them when they played my local venue a few years ago. Didn't really expect much but was totally blown away. The whole performance was jaw dropping....great vocals, great sounds and such tight arrangements. Pop rock at it's best!

Greggorios, tah1962 and Tonetele like this.
  10. mally

mally Tele-Holic

Alanis Morrissette at Liverpool Echo ! my wife bought tickets , didnt know what to expect really but she was dynamite ;)

24 track, Area51 and Greggorios like this.
  11. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

nick cave with grinderman. while i've always loved his music i have never, ever seen anyone with a command of an audience like him. he is magnetic and his bands are always excellent.

KW1977 and Greggorios like this.
  12. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

Ben Harper in a small club in the 80s. Never heard of him, and became an instant fan.

elihu and Greggorios like this.
  13. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

I saw Los Straitjackets smoke Dick Dale At Rams ahead in Baltimore. I’d seen Dick before, he was off that night.
    Saw Henry Lee Summer open for Heart. He and his band made Heart seem sleepy.
    Saw DEVO in the early 1980’s , a great fun show.

Greggorios likes this.
  14. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Holic

Billy Idol played one of the stages at Download in 2006. Really did blow me away. Great show and totally unexpected

Area51 likes this.
  15. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

In 1983 Kool cigarettes sponsored tours of military bases of bands that could have been considered has-been. I was stationed at NAS Jacksonville while attending P-3C flight school when The Guess Who made their tour stop at the base baseball diamond and proceeded to play an awesome show. That particular lineup included Burton Cummings & Jim Kale. I remember that Busch beer was on sale as chilled 6 packs that night, and that the liquor store was situated between the student barracks & the ball fields.

Greggorios likes this.
  16. SmokinJoe992

SmokinJoe992 TDPRI Member

PJ Harvey in 1995 Akron, Ohio. She opened for Live. The only song of hers I had ever heard was the "Big Fish, Little Fish swimming in the water" one, and I didn't like it much. It is tough for a concert to completely blow you away when you don't know any of the songs, but that is exactly what happened. The very next day I went to the record store and bought all of her CD's. I think she had 3 at the time.

Pixies2005, KW1977 and stinkey like this.
  17. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Elton John, 1986, Madison Square Garden.

At that point I had always liked Elton John and owned a few records (Honkey Chateau is a favorite) but never really thought of him as a live act I needed or wanted to see. Although I'd seen many shows at MSG, it's not a favorite venue. (Zappa said something about playing music in a space designed for playing basketball always being a compromise).

A friend had tickets and invited me. Blown away. On my feet much of the show. Incredible live performer and his band was/is fantastic. Just goes to show, you never know...;)

ravindave_3600 and elihu like this.
  18. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

I had no expectations for Bob Dylan at the Beacon Theater in NY when I saw him - I was there to see the return of Patti Smith, she was the opening act.

After her wonderful set, my buddy Andrew and I looked at each other and decided it would be stupid not to stay and see such an iconic performer, evrn if he might not really deliver the goods anymore.

Oh, my, were we wrong. He was in the midst of that creative never-ending tour era, and it was one of the best shows I've ever seen. That started a re-examination of his enormous catalog, and I went from being all "I like a few of his great songs and I hate his voice" to "I get what all the fuss is about."

What a show.

19. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I used to have an office in Ontario, CA and would be there a half dozen times a year. A good friend would always line up something special to do when I was there. One Sunday he told me he had tickets to see Jimmy Vaughan at the Coach House. Now I have to say that I’m not a big blues fan and had really low expectations, but it was great. Opening up was Kandy Kane who had a great guitar player with her. Jimmy was just terrific. He put on a clinic on blues. The real treat was the sound. Loud enough to sound good but never overwhelming. It didn’t convert me to a huge blues fan but I have a much better appreciation for it.

20. acoustic rob

acoustic rob Tele-Holic

25-ish years ago I saw Arrested Development open for Bob Dylan in Champaign, Illinois. They were coming through the area at the same time and the university there asked if they'd be interested in performing on the same night. They said, 'Why not?' I bought tickets, figured I'd suffer through the AD show in order to see Bob.

Arrested Development kicked Bob's ass--lots of energy, really gave it 100%. Their guru came out and read us a sermon before the set, then sat on a folding chair in the back of the stage. He got up a couple of times and danced on the drum riser. I went out the next day and bought their CD. Still have it. Still play it.

Dylan played his set like there was a cab out back with the meter running. Everything was too loud, 20% faster than on the record, and sloppy as heck. The lady in front of us screamed 'I love you, Bob!' through the whole set. Really disappointing.

Deathray likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.