Not excited about buying an acoustic

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by naveed211, May 19, 2020.

1. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Sure, electric is a blast, but acoustics are a lot more useful overall. Playing electric is like playing sax, flute, mandolin, fiddle, blues harp, trombone, or banjo: It just usually doesn't achieve escape velocity without a band behind it.

A folk guitar is like a piano or an accordion: Fits in fine with a band, but the band is optional.

Plus, acoustic guitar is the acid test for song writing. Steve Earle said it best: If you can't play it on a six-string flattop, you don't have a song.

So if I had to choose, it'd be an acoustic, no contest.

2. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Holic

Here you go OP, head in Am then Amaj7...

Scotty2Hottie and loco gringo like this.
  3. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Afflicted

I have been playing a fair bit of acoustic lately, both 6 and 12 string. There is something magical about a great sounding acoustic.

younkint and PhredE like this.
  4. TwangerWannabe

TwangerWannabe Tele-Meister

I feel the same way about electrics. I prefer to put my money toward nice acoustics since it really does make a huge difference in the way an acoustic sounds with regards to materials, shape, bracing patterns, etc. With electrics you can usually get a bunch of different sounds from any half-decent electric with a good variety of pedals and a decent amp. As long as the guitar has a good setup and is playable, the electric guitar really doesn't matter that much, but with an acoustic it's totally different. You can start with a cheap electric and still get great tones. Cheap acoustics usually suck.

I've been through quite a few of the popular classics. Numerous J45's, a J35, a few SJ200's, an AJ, bunch of D28's, a few small body Martins and finally settled on a D18 and a Custom Shop OM15. Can literally do anything and everything with those two acoustics with neither a want, care or need for anything more. Neither are cheap, but they're really not that expensive when you're talking about good quality acoustics.

If you can only own one it's pretty tough to beat a good D18 or a good J45.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    younkint, loco gringo and PhredE like this.
  5. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If you can’t see buying an acoustic then don’t buy one. Woo, glad we are done with that.

TwangerWannabe likes this.
  6. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

Both very lovely!

tubelectron likes this.
  7. dreamsinger

dreamsinger TDPRI Member

Keith Richards has said on more than one occasion that "if you can't play an acoustic, you can't play guitar". They are completely different beasts that demand a different approach so if your approach to an acoustic is the same as electric it won't respond in a way that's going to please you. The quality of an acoustic makes a difference and the cost curve is much steeper for acoustics. I can justify $10,000 on one of my acoustics easily with one strum but spending over $1000 on a Tele build just isn't going to happen. The irony is that what I didn't spend on my electric got spent on peripherals. Have you tried a Taylor? I think that's the cheapest you'll get away with and get any kind of thrill.

8. timbgtr

timbgtr TDPRI Member

If you want to ease yourself into acoustics, I heartily recommend a Taylor GS Mini. I have a bunch of great acoustics but I play the GS Mini the most by far because it is really comfortable and still sounds good—and great for car trips. I have an early one with that terrible ES-Go pickup. If you want electric as well, newer ones have better options.

9. Chuckboy

Chuckboy TDPRI Member

rent

10. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Holic

yeah now those kind of acoustics do something for me, i love archtops!

11. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

Thanks @ben smith ! :)

Oh ! You're in London :eek: ... So this is the one to have :rolleyes: : The Clifford Essex Paragon Deluxe...

[​IMG]

The guitar used by Vic Flick - the man behind the Jame's Bond Theme - here below playing his tune :

:cool::cool::cool::oops:;)

-tbln

ben smith likes this.
  12. Alter

Alter Tele-Meister

You can always try Godins. They work, great for gigs, decent and easy on recordings

ben smith and telestratosonic like this.
  13. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

Alex Liefson has his siggy Les Paul that has a piezo pup under the bridge (but its like 6 grand or something stupid)... that was my first thought...

And the Godin xtSA guitar for about $1,000 bucks, has a piezo under the bridge, has an HSH magnetic pup config, and a Roland-Ready synth pickup under the same bridge (I want one bad.....) haha The acoustic piezo pup sounds really great. Godin also makes other models minus the synth pickup. Here's a cool demo on the xtSA.

14:57 is the acoustic guitar pickup...

As far as "paint brushes" to have laying around...
    - Acoustic guitar (dreadnought?)
    - Classical guitar
    - 12-string acoustic guitar
    - 12-string electric guitar
    - hundreds of electric guitars (haha)

I have (note the pickup choices for different tones):
    - Strat(s)(3 x SC, one Strat has Fender Noiseless)
    - Tele (Baja Tele w/ 4-way switch and S1 switch)
    - Les Paul(s)(one Epiphone has Dimarzios and coil splitting, 50's wired)
    - SG w/ coil splitting on both HBs (Dimarzio super distortions)
    - Reverend Flatroc (revtron pups)(like filtertron pups)
    - Reverend Warhawk 390 (3 x P-90s & a 5-way switch)
    - Jackson Randy Rhoads, EMG humbuckers
    - Jackson Randy Rhoads, Seymour Duncan (ceramic?) humbuckers
    - Gibson Flying V w/ '57 Classics and coil split
    - Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue (HB/SC/Mini HB)

What I'd still like to get:
    - National Resolectric (P-90 neck, highlander under biscuit bridge)(I've had 2, financial poo had to sell both)
    - Gibson or Epiphone Firebird (2 x mini humbuckers)
    (new Epi "inspired by Gibson" Firebird looks nice
    - Gibson or Epiphone Les Paul Deluxe (2 x mini humbuckers)
    https://reverb.com/item/462618-epip...re-mini-humbuckers-red-sparkle-with-hard-case
    - 1 x neck-mounted semi-hollow jazz guitar
    - 2 x humbucker semi-hollow body (I have an Epiphone Johnny A siggy on layaway)
    - 2 x P-90 semi-hollow body (ie Godin 5th Avenue CW Kingpin II or other)
    - 12-string electric w/ 3 x Bare Knuckle SCs (working with a private luthier on this one)
    - Godin xtSA and a Roland GR-55 guitar synth...

So many guitars, so little time... and so little love for acoustics...

As far as other ways to "fake it"...

I've never found any of the "acoustic simulator" pedals to be believable... I think the Godin piezo under the bridge is the ticket por moi...

Here's a low-to-high search for Godin xtSA models on Reverb... I'd ratherhave one of these than an acoustic guitar anyday...
    https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=godin xtsa&condition=used&sort=price|asc

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  14. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

I couldn't disagree more. I've played solo blues and jazz gigs for the last umpteen years and always with an electric (Strat, Les Paul, Tele, Reverend, doesn't matter which one). I suppose it depends on the skill of the performer. If you don't have the technical skills to play solo with an electric, then its not for you.

With the thousands of options for pedals for an electric, add to that guitar synth, I can't see how "acoustics are a lot more useful overall"

wow... that statement seems to have very little thought or maybe years of actually performing behind it...

I think more like... if you can't stand up and play a song from start to finish and accompany yourself on an electric then you don't have much talent.

15. padreraven

padreraven TDPRI Member

It's good you're getting a decent model, and with acoustics it is really obvious how much age sweetens the tone, as long as it's been getting played. If you got a cheap acoustic you wouldn't like it and you would end up getting rid of it. Cheaper acoustics often don't have a midrange, and have a clunky sound. Different manufacturers have different positives; the side and back woods make a difference in different models and different bracing gives different feels to the sound.

younkint likes this.
  16. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

Before asserting this, this Guy should learn to play guitar, don't you think, Chuck ? o_O

[​IMG]

"Sure !" said a voice coming from the Rock'n'Roll paradise... :lol:

But it's me, OK ?:D

-tbln

17. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I can't read the original poster's mind, but I agree with the overall sentiment.

And it has less to do with his immediate quandary (needing an acoustic for just this recording project) than it does with each player's personal passion.

I for one am passionate about electric guitars. I love them.
    I buy them, I sell them, and I have traded them.
    I love looking at them online, and I peruse the guitar catalogs when I'm in the WC.

I get excited when I walk into a music store and see dozens of them hanging on the wall, just waiting to be played, tried out, and maybe purchased.

I get really excited when I walk into a pawn shop and see a half dozen dusty electrics hanging on the wall, just knowing that one of them is probably a real diamond in the rough, and can be had for a decent, low price.
    (And then I get to take it home, clean it up, set it up, wax it down, and restring it. And then I get to play it and find new tones and fresh guitar-playing joy.)

Acoustics?
    *meh*
    I have always kept at least two in the collection.
    They are useful, and I enjoy playing them.
    You really shouldn't gig without at least one on stage.
    (For Eagles songs, and classic country tunes, and a variety of requests.)

But, and this is just me, they don't inspire the same passion in me as the electrics do.
    I don't know what it is.

Okay, I'm gonna shut up now.

:(

18. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Holic

searching for and bonding with an acoustic guitar will bless you with a lifetime of untold joy. every time the power goes out I love my acoustics more and more :)

any piece of junk electric can make due with a decent amp

cant put on a fake job with an acoustic

either you can or you cant

most who tend to shy away from acoustics are afraid of being exposed as a guitar fraud

19. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Meister

I’m with you! I’ve been dragging around a gorgeous looking and sounding Tacoma but I never pull it out of the case. I just don’t have the love for it. Should sell it and pickup a cheap 12 string. That play!

20. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Holic

Man, this thread just keeps going. I ended up buying a Guild acoustic. And I like it. Still prefer electric but good to have an acoustic around and I’ll use it for recordings and just bringing to jams.

Ive had a couple piezo guitars before, including a Godin (I’ve actually had five or six Godins). It’s a fun option to have, but for a recording I’d want the real thing.

PhredE likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.