Not cool, Tesla......

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Colo Springs E, Feb 9, 2020.

1. GoldDeluxe5E3

GoldDeluxe5E3 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

So, you're saying car manufacturers, in an effort to shield themselves from liability, will downgrade the performance of their cars depending on their customers' driving records? You could buy a Tesla with a "Ludicrous Speed" package, get a few speeding tickets, and have Tesla remove the feature? And then, if you continue to act up, perhaps a moving violation and an at-fault accident, Tesla downgrades you to the "Grandma Speed" limiter function? And then you run a red light, and Tesla sends out a software update that gives your car the power equivalent of a '67 Plymouth Valiant?

Sounds like the our government will soon be able to save the taxes we pay for traffic enforcement. All is well.

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Exactly.

I had a '69 Dart (sister to that Valiant) and it wasn't slow. The slow cars were mostly, 1975-1988 with the exception of boosted Buick Gran Sports.

I can easily see testing being done, to determine how much torque, how much horsepower was available, as well as top speed, available to a specific customer.

3. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

When do we get autoplaying guitars ?

imwjl likes this.
  4. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

I still don't understand how the Autopilot system is allowed on a Tesla. It was rushed to market without adequate testing and has been responsible for more than one fatal crash.

maxvintage and telemnemonics like this.
  5. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

It is obvious this is a subscription service if you do a little looking into these cars. It is REALLY obvious if you shop for one of these cars and do even a little buyer or curious nerd type homework.

What occurred is like your new home or rental move in still having cable TV hooked up, or a like a recent travel incident where my room and the travel operator had services I did not pay for. In those real estate issues earlier in life I lost. In the travel incidents the resort stood firm but the travel operator ate part of it.

For other stuff on the future of cars, get your one speed bicycle or face reality. Most cars have been a software platform and wiring bus for a long time. Now we're at a time when that's accelerating and improving big time. We're well into the 2020 car model year with 2021s in the news. 2023 is the all cars AEB standard and that isn't even a government standard. The car makers are doing better and more capable stuff like they always have. They respond to what customers want and they respond to competition. They innovate to help sell stuff.

For the above paragraph I remember being a little kid when my step-grandfather and all the get off my lawn elders in that generation plus more where howling about cars getting cruise control, shoulder belts, and headrests.

This is really simple folks. Buyers need to sweat the details, and much change is starting now and ahead of us as far as transportation goes.

drlucky likes this.
  6. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I think Tesla is definitely a pretty strange company but I could still see myself buying one down the line.

They’re the only company that is really taking EVs seriously that has any traction.

I am curious what the fine print is about these features that can be turned on and off was. I bet they’re putting legalese in that these features are non-transferable.

I agree, the buyer should never have signed off on the car if he knew features had been deactivated that he was paying for. He should have said no sale until the dealer got the features reactivated or offered a different car or applied a hefty discount.

Also $8k for this feature is nuts. I think I’m 5 years or more out from looking at these cars seriously but $8k for self driving features seems like a poor value to me when other companies are including many of the capabilities for free on cars that are less expensive to begin with.

7. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

When they figure out how to to do the update to stop it from playing Sweet Child O' Mine and Stairway

PaulSor likes this.
  8. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

9. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

I think the dealer is responsible, because they misrepresented the item being sold ... I am not a lawyer... Thank God for that !!!

Apologies to my Dad, who is, and an ethical one, as most are ...

10. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

None of this really matters to me. Until they develop super-capacitors that can replace the entire drive battery compliment, I have no use for elctric or hybrid vehicles. Besides, I have two perfectly good cars, and probably won't need to replace either of them for ten years, by which time, who knows if I'll even be alive.

meric likes this.
  11. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Holic

Good. We need less automated control. Somebody hijacking your car is not a myth.

This slippery slope is leading to cars shutting down until you pay to play, or pay for an update, and modding your firmware will be cause for legal action just like what current farmers are dealing with buying the new computer driven tractors. This will be the new digital Monsanto nightmare.

12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well if this is what Tesla is now doing then I guess used car dealers will in the future be liable for non disclosure of Tesla policies on software upgrades to second owner or older Tesla vehicles.

While for example Apple will clean and reload software to a used Mac, they will only install whatever they think belongs in there for software.
    Reverse "updates" don't make sense unless you bought a computer with a version of the software that turned out to have a bug.
    If Tesla or Apple feels that the software they supplied with your hardware purchase had bugs, and you agree to allow them to update your software, maybe you need to read that 20 page software update agreement carefully before agreeing to it.
    Can anyone really claim that current self driving tech has no bugs that need to be worked out?

A software update generally has a user agreement, and if an original user agreement included not being notified of automatic software updates then once again, buyer beware.

The newest version of a software program belongs to the manufacturer, and they allow us to use it but do we own that software?
    In court maybe possession being 90% of the law would apply.

But once the user agrees to a software update and subsequently no longer has the old software in their possession, I'm not sure where the buyer of a used Tesla stands in terms of rights to old software they allowed Tesla to remove from their hardware.

13. telemnemonics

Yeah tractors as a product seem far removed from the high tech Tesla, yet business today is about user agreements, licensing fees, and software.

I knew an old Harley mechanic who had been certified for years but eventually couldn't afford HD fees to maintain his certified HD mechanic status.
    To repair a product sold on the basis of being old school and stupid simple.

14. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

This all begs the question:
    We are planning on giving Elon and friends the "keys" to our orbital launch capability?
    Did we buy the "enhanced" options package, or just the entry level version?

Obsessed likes this.
  15. Deepblankspace

Deepblankspace TDPRI Member

I dont think i like the tesla car company, i appreciate the technology they brought forward for other car companies.
    And in the long run we need to get away from oil

Buttttt, i hate too many computers,(you can tighten a nut but not a cpu/gpu/microchip) if somebody can make an analog electric car, im in lol

P Thought likes this.
  16. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Back to the original story, the buyer obviously was hogwashed by the sales guy. He heard what he wanted to hear and bought the car without all the software working, that's on him. WHY that software wasn't working as another question altogether.

MarkieMark, PlainAllman and imwjl like this.
  17. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If Im not mistaken the sticker indicated it was an included feature.

18. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I believe you have some things confused or mixed up. Hijacking and carjacking predate modern electronics. Your phone with biometric controls is more secure than my old school car keys.

Pay to play is fair. I hate getting ripped off.

Farmers have plenty of John Deere alternatives. If enough buy a used John Deere, Kubota or a Mahindra, it is probably fair to say Deere will change. They've done other major changes in their long history.

We sold our farm in the 1980s but I still know farmers and have friends in ag, farming and even ag equipment sales. Being in a food related business I still keep eyes on farming. A few are probably spot on to say cost in the current market more than anything creates this new John Deere issue. For the guy farming at scale, debt and costs are scary with depressed dairy prices and new versions of messed up markets occurring. He admits the latest Deere technology is otherwise perfect for their needs. For another, he could care less. He's moved to new or alternative crops and mostly selling to very local markets. A small new or older tractor suits that well.

demon likes this.
  19. telemnemonics

What I understood from the story was that at time of purchase the sticker showed the feature and the software still included the feature, but after taking ownership, a software update removed the feature.
    So AFAIK it was indeed working at the time of purchase.

20. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Holic

No, I'm not mixed up. People can already take control of cars with older technology. Hijacking a Tesla completely while you're driving it is just on the horizon.
    ANY COMPUTER can be compromised.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.