Not again!! Elpee Standard to replace the one that got away.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Engraver-60, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Telemaestro

Telemaestro Tele-Meister

I like your bench, and leg vise!

2. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

Well, it looks like another weekend of wishes and dreams of the LP Scrapper not really happening. I did get the rolls of Klingspor Gold Roll sandpaper, and I made a nifty dispenser for them. Great sandpaper (apparently used by knifemakers a lot). Works so well for woodturning and it lasts so long. I tried to bore out a bit of the neck pickup pocket, but I decided I deserve a Ridgid Trim Router. Too scary using the big Porter Cable, and that darned HF trim router is sort of dedicated to the binding jig, now. Ordered from HD, and I'll sneak out later to pick it up.
    sandpaper dispenser.jpg

Barncaster and BluesBlooded like this.
  3. Engraver-60

Used the new Ridgid Trim Router to route the neck pickup pocket. So much quieter that the HF and easier to control. I had to use 3/4" thick blocks to raise the router and bearing high enough to get started. Now I am patching up Herb's template for the pickup feet, that I boogered up many months ago. Durhams to the rescue.

4. Engraver-60

Last night I had a few minutes to work on the router templates. I got them filled in with Durhams, and sanded.

I also grabbed my Corian neck profiles and checked them against my 1982 Yamaha SBG-1000 neck. They match the neck, so the new neck should be close to the SBG-1000, which was the replacement in 1983 for the LP that got stolen.
    [​IMG]
    It's been a great guitar for the $300 I payed for it used in 1983.

Sean Mac, Barncaster and Jim_in_PA like this.
  5. Engraver-60

NTD - To me at least - I picked up a used Craftsman Professional 14" Bandsaw from a fellow woodturner who's moving to Arizona. It's actually very similar to a 14" Rikon, but weirdly, the Model No. 119.224010 was made by Frigidaire (I work for Electrolux, and Frigidaire is one of our brands). The guy threw in all the blades he had for it and a spare tire. All of those neatly packed in Jet's Pizza boxes (cool idea).
    [​IMG]

I might not need it for this build, but it should make the following 2-3 LP's easier to make. It can resaw up to about 8" wide boards, and I believe a riser from Grizzly 14" bandsaw will work on it. He also said he's been getting his blades for $10 from a guy here in Middle TN that makes them to order.

Zepfan and Barncaster like this.
  6. Engraver-60

picture of saw did not post. Here it is. 20190702_164821.jpg

7. Engraver-60

Today, I start my 68th year on this planet as me. Who knows - maybe I've been here before? I am taking Friday off as a Birthday Holiday, and plan to make some real progress on Scrap-Paul. The New To Me saw was a gift to myself, and hopefully will help me with subsequent LP and other builds. It will also definitely help with the woodturning blank prepping.

Q: If anyone has a similar saw or Rikon 14" - have you ever installed the riser kit? I believe from interweb info, a Grizzly or Jet Riser kit will work on it. I'm not sure I'd do that with only 1 HP motor - 12" thick green wood logs prepping for urns or bowls is probably more than this saw can safely handle.

Zepfan, Barncaster and Jim_in_PA like this.
  8. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

Happy #68!

crazydave911 likes this.
  9. BluesBlooded

BluesBlooded Friend of Leo's

Happy Birthday! Enjoy the day in the shop.

10. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Happy birthday, man!

11. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

Happy bday!

12. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Happy B-Day!

13. Engraver-60

Thank you, all of you (Zepfan, Nickhofen,RogerC, Bluesblooded, and of course my mentor at a distance - Guitarbuilder, Marty). I turned 67, but started on #68. I will enjoy the next few days of free pizza, discount at Italian Restaurant, and maybe even a piece of chocolate cake. I already took the Woodcraft discount card purchase back, exchanged for a can Mohawk Nitrocellulose & and a can of Deblusher. Might never use it on the Scrap-Paul, because the French Polish will be fine. Just anxious to get some sounds out of it.

I spent more than a few hours clearing a spot for the new bandsaw, and have 2 racks full of hardwood square and rectangular stock. I really have to quite hoarding. Maybe next year.

nickhofen and Barncaster like this.
  14. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

The price of wood doesn't seem to go down. I'm glad I stocked up on some genuine mahogany when I did. Nobody is carrying it now around here.

15. Engraver-60

I've still got a plank of dense mahogany from Joe Glaser, but it's got diagonal checks from each end. I might have to make something from it, once I get the LP's all done. SG is on my bucket list, and I might have enough thinner stock for that.

16. Engraver-60

A little bit of progress - I horizontal drilled the Input Jack Hole using the Shopsmith. And the Tuner holes in the headstock with drill press standing upright (from the rear). I also dabbed a new coat of FP on the body. Pictures to follow.

17. Engraver-60

input jack hole:
    input_Jack_hole-1[1].jpg

tuner holes:

tuner_holes-1[1].jpg

Zepfan and guitarbuilder like this.
  18. Engraver-60

I rummage through all of the parts for the stop bar tailpieces and bridges that Marty has sent me, and found enough to go ahead and at least drill and install the bushings for the tailpiece. I started to pound the treble side bushing in, and realized I was copying Herb. I'd forgotten to drill for and install the ground wire. So luckily, I was able to get the bushing out by hand (it was only pounded in about 1/8" deep). I drilled 3/32" hole from treble side bushing hole to control cavity. I stripped a solid blue wire and fed it thru the hole to the cavity.
    ground_wire[1].jpg

I've got the stopbar tailpiece selected and ready and waiting.
    tailpiece_posts-1[1].jpg
    I still have to router out the feet pockets for the pickups, and glue the neck on. All that before I can locate the bridge correctly (because of moving the neck cheeks back a bit).

Barncaster likes this.
  19. Engraver-60

I made a controls template for wiring up what goes into the control cavity. I think all the Push-Push pots I have are short shafts. YIKES.
    control_template[1].jpg
    I Googled Long Shaft Push-Push potentiometers, and Mojotone has them at $13 each, so I got 4 coming by the end this coming week. They have the best shipping price; only $3.70, where other distributors were $9.86 each for the pots, but $13 dollars for shipping (probably from China, slow boat). I guess I can use the short shaft ones on the Everything-In-One Tele I started 13 years ago. Or something.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  20. Engraver-60

I think today I will recut the template for pickup feet, and re-route the body where I boogered that feature. Then I have to re-bore the control cavity so the controls go in perpendicular to their relative surfaces. That 7 degrees thingy. And drill the holes for the controls & toggle switch.
    Then set the neck and figure out just where the tune-a-matic bridge bushings should go. I checked out the bone nut I made, and I think I'll do a better one that fits tighter. No rush, the Push-Pushes won't be here for a week or so.
    My latest revised To-Do List doesn't include some of the above, but here's what's left on it:
    1) Glue Neck to the Body (Set the Neck)
    2) Determine scale length position of the Bridge Bushings, and drill and install them;
    3) Drill Toggle Switch Hole;
    4) Drill holes for controls;
    5) Adjust neck to flat;
    6) Level and crown frets.
    7) Oil and polish the Bubinga fretboard;
    8) Install Tuners;
    9) Install Pickups and Pickup rings
    10) Install new Nut, and cut slots for strings;
    11) String it up and test action and do a setup.
    12) After all the controls arrive, do the wiring, and install.
    13) Install the gold speed knobs.
    14) Play it until my fingers bleed, or they don't.
    Somewhere in there I will decide if I really want just a French Polish, or if I should shoot a clear Nitrocellulose over the whole body. The neck is very nice as is. (I probably won't do anything more the FP to it.)

Mat UK likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.