Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Engraver-60, Dec 26, 2018.
Sealer control this prior to stain [sanding sealers] [as I recall]
Prolly so, but I cut the binding channels and applied the bindings too an unsealed side of the body, so seepage of the mix ran down the sides while it cured.
Procedural change for the Keeper LP.
I wonder how well sealing would actually help as far as the CA wicking...
I haven't used acetone or Ducco for binding in years - I didn't like the process and my first guitar has had a binding failure. Most of the time now I bind with wood, but whether its wood or plastic I've settled on thin CA. Its so much easier - take your time fitting the binding, get it perfect, tack it in place with tiny drops of CA, pull the binding tape and wick a thin bead all the way around both top and side seams. It seems to sand back easily and I've had no problem with stains or finish.
I did not use CA for the binding; I used acetone painted on both the rabbet groove and the back of the binding. It holds great.
Most of this weekend I spent doing woodturning for a yard sale coming up in a couple of weeks. I made a couple of cherry lidded vessels (pretty small - about 4" in diameter and 5" tall) from a piece of cherry left over from by NC class. They were sawing bowl blanks and this piece had a wind shake crack, so they threw it in the fire pile. I asked, and they said take it, but don't try to make a bowl out of it.
I spent about an hour yesterday doing a trial fit up between the neck and body. Although the original fit up with the neck (without the fretboard) and the body seemed to be tight and inline, after the neck and fretboard glued together something had changed. In order to get the fretboard underside to lay flat against the body, I had to change the cheeks of the neck, which of course, meant removing wood. Not so easy with a fretboard in the way. I am pretty sure I'll have to move the neck pickup cutout towards the bridge in order for the bound fretboard to clear the pickup ring. Glad I did not cut that pickup route yet. The neck has not been shaped at the back, or glued to the body yet, so I have some latitude of flexibility.
T-style guitars are looking pretty easy in comparison about now.
I really had to take a step away from this complexity. I had thought everything would work out, but I'm finding every step I take, I go back 2 steps. Gimme 3 steps! (forward please).
So I took a few hours and went back to the lathe, where I can make stuff that is acceptable quality in a few hours. Had to take a deep breathe and make some sawdust. I'll post pictures tonight of the recent woodturnings and the latest errors on Scrapper.
Instead of firewood? Been there, done that. I feel for you Mark.
My dilemma at this point is this: I have a 1/16" gap on the E string side of the neck to fretboard for about 5 frets worth from the nut. How can I fill that gap prior to shaping the neck back? I've pondered it, and what I think I may have to do is this: Cut a piece of the original mahogany side grain 3/4" wide and 1/4" thick x however long I need to get past the overhang, and glue it in place. Then after the glue has cured shave the neck back to the appropriate width to match the correct fretboard width. I knew when I was shaping the neck that it was getting narrow, but I did not understand how the end effect was going to materialize. I understand now!
Granted this is not the best way for a neck to be made (i.e., scrapper not keeper), but I still want to have a decent feeling guitar, even if it's made of too many pieces to be legitimate.
How about hot gluing the neck blank to a squared up piece of lumber and running it on edge over a straight bit to make a groove on a router table against a fence. Then fill in the groove with a piece of mahogany.
Legitimate, it is 200% Legit! Watch it turn out being the best sounding guitar you have ever plugged into an amp. Keep going...
You have pickups yet?
You build one and make mistakes on it. If it's playable, you keep it and enjoy it. The next build will hopefully be mistake free for the most part. Hand made will always have a mistake or 2, gives them character. Or the maker is a character, I get them mixed up.
That's an interesting opt
Marty (guitarbuilder) sent me a great big care package of stuff. Probably 4 HB's of a few flavors, and I got a freebie from local GC of an Epi BB Pro+ Bridge model. I have some push pulls, and new push-push pots for the Keeper.
I fall into the latter classification, for sure.
I'm afraid I fall into both categories.
If you still need other bits, happy to check my stash. Just post in thread what all you still need to appropriate.
Thanks Bob, but until I get the wiring, I think I am set. I do have a bunch of scrap wiring harnesses from the appliance company I work for (they throw away a lot of cool stuff). And for the inner wiring with JP wiring scenario, I'll probably cut up a USB cable for the pickups.
If I go with a Black Beauty finish to cover up all of my mistakes, I'll get rattle cans from NAPA auto parts or HD.
Woodturnings from this week:
I also made a fret end file per Big D's video. Scary Shopsmith - the table rotates, not the blade. I hope I got it correct.
I took it to GC, and the guitar tech compared it to his, and it's really close. Yeah, I did something right.