Not again!! Elpee Standard to replace the one that got away.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Engraver-60, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

No worries, we’ll be here for cheerleading and general harassment. By the by, did the Pyramid guy ever get back to you?

2. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

Pyramid Guy - not yet, but I am a good ways away from that necessity. That'll be for #2 or #3. Remember #1 is the Less-Scrap-Paul. More scrap than Paul. All about the journey.

3. Engraver-60

Question to Freeman Keller: Can I shoot Behlen's Clear Nitrocellulose Lacquer (for stringed instruments) over French Polish if I clean surface with Naptha? I really want a good glossy finish, but not poly.

4. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Afflicted

I cannot answer that since I have never done it. In fact I have never French polished a guitar (gotta build that classical one of these days). Shellac is the universal stick to anything stuff so it should work and I have applied a seal coat of Zinsser to tops when I was doing binding and shot lacquer over that. For the real answer you should probably ask Silverface over at the finish subforum, but I think you would be fine. The question then is why would you want to do the FP in the first place - most of the time after I do whatever stain is appropriate I just shoot a couple of coats of Behlen's vinyl sealer followed by the lacquer. (I know you've already done it so its a moot point)

Can you still get Behlen's? Last time I tried I couldn't find it so I used something else.

5. CraigB

CraigB Tele-Afflicted

FWIW, I start all of my finishing of bare wood with dewaxed shellac and have sprayed Behlens right over it with no issues. That said, I was merely brushing on the shellac, not using a dauber, pumice or any kind of oil. Seems like an easy thing to just do a little polishing on a scrap the same way you did on the guitar and then shoot a little lacquer over it and see what happens.

6. Engraver-60

I got Behlen's (Mohawk) on the interweb for $18 delivered. Mohawk owns Behlen now, and the kabel has new and old numbers on it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PG9Z64V/?tag=tdpri-20

As for the final clear coat, I will have to experiment with a sample before ruining the actual guitar. The cheap HF HVLP spray gun has been used for poly and cleaned by a co-worker, and he said it worked well once you dial it in. I'll need to set up a temporary spray booth in a cardboard box in the driveway on a sunny day to shoot the clear, when I do.

7. Engraver-60

That's my future plan at least. Practice on a scrap piece to see what happens. Thanks CraigB.

8. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

Instead of a cardboard spray booth, get a cheap popup tent and use that as your spray booth. You can even set it up in the garage. Keeps dust and bugs off your finish and allows for nice ventilation if it has screened zip up windows.

9. Engraver-60

We are doing prototype shrink bags at work for large appliances. They were throwing away a bunch of them, I grabbed one. I can make a velcro closure, tie it at the top, and hang it from a basketball hoop, spray and close it up.

10. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Still Spying your build, in case you thought I fell off the planet... Looks like too much work VS slab Tele build to me. ;)

Treadplatedual likes this.
  11. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

I hate quoting myself, but I guess gold top highly possible? [Or Black Beauty as you already said].

12. Engraver-60

Yes, but it's all in what you want to learn. After doing all of this a few times, a slab Tele will be a piece of cake.

13. Engraver-60

I'm going for this one to be unique - maybe butt ugly, but unique. The top will be a really important learning process, however it ends up. Maybe a DPP Less-Scrap-Paul - who knows. The next one will be much easier, and hopefully better.

I started to sand the sides, and it's all hand work - I can't afford to sand too hard or there won't be any binding left.

14. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

A DPP LP!!! Awesome!

15. Treadplatedual

Treadplatedual Tele-Holic

LOL, start a gofundme, I'll be donor #1.

Engraver, if it plays well after all this, it's not scrap :)

16. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I have definitely had nights where I couldn't sleep because some stressful guitar building process was looping in my head--sometimes I would even wake up realizing it was about something I'd already FINISHED! :mad:

crazydave911 likes this.
  17. Engraver-60

Thanks, Oh, it's not going to be scrap; just made from mostly scraps around my wood hoarding shop. I mean I have a $15 piece of flame Maple I ruined in it!:(

I'll make sure it'll play, maybe, unless I've screwed up the planes horribly.

18. Engraver-60

Sorry, DPP LP is not going to happen from me. Maybe an opaque color of some hue, to cover up the mahogany clown face in the center of the top.

I did break out the RO sander for most of the sides after not much progress by hand sanding, and I have about 4 linear inches of tough to reach spots in the horn area that will need some attention tonight. I might try drum sanding rolls on a drill to get that area cleaned.

19. Engraver-60

It's like having a dream you're falling off a cliff, and you wake up on the floor.

Much better than the standing at the urinal dreams!!

Barncaster likes this.
  20. Engraver-60

I made a little bit of progress last night and today, before clearing the router table and the lathe. I need to make a few more woodturned objects for a yard sale coming up in 2 weeks, so the guitar had to move.

I glued the fretboard onto the neck - good or bad, it's glued.

I sealed the sides if the body with the stained pore filler, and sanded it back. Then I started to FP the sides. A couple of things to remember:
    1) When using acetone to fuse the binding onto the body, make sure to wipe off the excess and sand it back. It acts as a resist for the stain;
    2) The sides have side grain and end grain so they absorb the stain in varying degrees.

I may have to sand back a few places and re-dye.

Tomorrow I need to make a fret end file holder for beveling per Big D's video:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.