Not a Vintage Fender... 65 Amps London (Blue)

guitarlurker

TDPRI Member
Not wanting to spend big money on old stuff... but wanting to stay "old-school" I first bought an A/C 30 with a pair of "green backs". It was the "last of" the British made amps, but it had problems so I returned it to the shop. I bought a Dr. Z Max 38 Senior, with tremolo and twin Alnico Blues... it was stolen. I replaced it with a slightly used 65 Amp SoDo... which was tasty, but I missed the reverb of the Dr. Z (and I missed the Tremelo of the Vox even more). My guy at the vintage shop had just brought in a 65 Amps London head w/ 2 x 12 cab. He basically swapped it out for the SoHo... I have never looked back. The 18 Watts is more than enough and the versatility (with that super sweet tremolo, and even sweeter "Marshall" side) was the perfect match for me.

London
London amp.png

Description:

Evolved from some of the Mid Sixties best low powered amplifiers. The 2xEL84, Cathode Biased, Class A sound is that of astonishing warmth, depth, harmonic richness all in a small package that allows big-amp sound on small stages, in the studio or at home.
Trem channel – 12AX7 based with a single tone knob and an organic Bias tremolo activated by a footswitch. This channel is the one for many of your classic British tones from your favorite Blues and Rock records.
Color Channel – EF86 (pentode) based with a tone knob and 6-way color switch that adjusts the mid focus. This channel is reminiscent of the British Invasion sound until you push it hard via the Booster Switch and then it flips into ultra-rich, harmonic saturation that defines modern day boutique amplifiers. Introduced in 2005.

Facts

18 Watt

Complete point to point hand wiring, 100% hand assembled with care and 100% made in the USA.

Each amp is custom voiced and broken-in thoroughly before sale to ensure 100% reliability and maximum tone!

Channels

Normal channel is cascode/pentode based with Tone and 6-way Color controls.

Classic Tremolo Channel is 12AX7 based with single Tone, Speed and Intensity controls.

Cut knob affecting both channels.

Tubes

1 x EF86, 2 x 12AX7, 2 x EL84, 1 x EZ81

Pre-amp tubes: Premium Cascode/Pentode & 12AX7.

Phase inverter: Premium 12AX7.

Power tubes: Matched Premium EL84's.

Rectifier: Sovtek 6CA4/EZ81.

Resistors

1/2 watt 5% NOS Allen Bradley Carbon Comps in all tone-affecting positions.

1% or 2% Metal films, wirewound otherwise.

Capacitors

Custom made tone capacitors based on the original Mustard Cap™. These capacitors truly represent the originals.

Premium Quality, super fast Electrolytics.

Transformers

Custom hand-wound, premium transformers.

Both transformers are packing serious iron and strongly deliver a wonderful, robust vocabulary to our amps.

Speakers

Celestion Alnico Blue and Celestion G12H30

Tube Sockets

Highest grade ceramic power and rectifier tube sockets for maximum life.

Micalex preamp tube sockets for reduced microphonics.

Nuts & Bolts

Custom Handmade double-turret board.

Sealed Military -Spec Toggle switches.

Custom Handmade Baltic Birch cabinet built to exacting specifications.

The Blue Line Cabinets:

65 Amp 2 x 12 cab.png

65 Amps Blue Line 2 x 12 cabinet1
1 Celestial Blue, 1 G12H30

guitarlurker

TDPRI Member
Nice amp, good tones. Not class A, but most manufacturers lie about that also.
I don't really know much about circuitry, and it never crossed my mind that they would be less than truthful in their claims. I simply cut and pasted info from (the now defunct) manufacturer's specs. So, if it isn't a Class A amplifier, what is it?

Paul G.

Friend of Leo's
I don't really know much about circuitry, and it never crossed my mind that they would be less than truthful in their claims. I simply cut and pasted info from (the now defunct) manufacturer's specs. So, if it isn't a Class A amplifier, what is it?
Cathode biased, class AB. Cathode bias allows tubes to run at 100% MPD, so people think (or pretend to think) that the amp is running class A. Class A means each tube is conducting the full signal, no crossover. While it is possible to have tubes in parallel or push-pull, and still be running in class A, this is almost never the case. 2 EL84s in class A operation would make about 7 to 10 watts or so.

guitarlurker

TDPRI Member
Cathode biased, class AB. Cathode bias allows tubes to run at 100% MPD, so people think (or pretend to think) that the amp is running class A. Class A means each tube is conducting the full signal, no crossover. While it is possible to have tubes in parallel or push-pull, and still be running in class A, this is almost never the case. 2 EL84s in class A operation would make about 7 to 10 watts or so.
That’s really interesting. Thanks Paul

horseman308

Tele-Holic
Ok, this thread pushed me into a rabbit hole yesterday. I was aware of 65 Amps but hadn't really looked closely. Lots of really interesting stuff. Most of them seem like variations of a Vox-meets-1974x Marshall. How accurate is that?

I have liked those sounds but haven't dug deep. One question I have based on some reading about the EF86 tube. One tube supplier wrote that they're very sensitive to amp vibrations and microphonics. How do you find the 65s to be in that arena? Is it an issue at gig volumes?

chillybilly

Tele-Meister
Very nice. I still have my SoHo but sadly don't use it as much as I would like at home or rehearsal or for gigs. Fantastic sound though.

I wanted - and still want - a London but at the time the SoHo's master voltage (not master volume, as 65 would point out) was a necessity.

Even at outdoor gigs I barely got the master past 9 o'clock. I did attend one rehearsal in a house with hardwood floors, high ceilings and a drummer intent on pounding as hard as he could. So I had the amp up to 11 or noon and thought the walls might crumble.