Not a Tele question but the answers are always here

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Gary in Boston, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Something that's always intrigued me with the Les Paul wrap around bridge found on the juniors.

I'm talking about the original one, the plain old bar and the mount posts are placed at the gross correct angle and the fine adjustment grub screws do the rest.

So, when you look a lot of photos, and I have over the years, there are all sorts of angles going on for these models.

Some are really cocked and some are almost straight.

I've owned a few of these guitars and I can vouch that the intonation was pretty darn good.

So here is the question.

How did whom ever drilled the two post holes for the wrap around bridge decide where to drill?

How would they know / predict what any specific guitar was going to need ?

If they were all basically the same I could better understand/believe it.

In fact as time went on into the mid and later 60's and the Melody Makers, SG Specials etc. came out the posts got even and "intonation" bars were added to the stop tail piece which with the grub screws got where it need to be with intonation.

Now the Original Series is out and the cocked wrap around tail pieces are back (I've missed them) and it's Deja Vu all over again...................

I find it fascinating that they get it as good as they do almost like an acoustic guitar is set up.

Can somebody explain it?

Gary

2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

My 1960 Les Paul Jr originally had the plain bar, and it never really intonated correctly. That's why I got a Leo Quan Badass bridge around '73-'74. Doesn't really address your question, but it's all I got. ;)

1 person likes this.
  3. Martinp

Martinp Tele-Afflicted

mine will only intonate with a wound G

4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

The larger the string gauge you go with, the less off the intonation may be.

I tend to retune the guitar before each song, to sweeten up the notes I know I'll be playing (most) and the rest is fudging. Some songs, you just need a different guitar (or a different bridge).

nojazzhere and Vibrolux59 like this.
  5. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

These intonate well enough with wound g strings. pretty much like 99% of acoustics.

I've made a few guitars with these. I use the same method I would to set an acoustic bridge.
    set them with the center at the middle of possible travel.

Lately I use Stewmac's saddlematic to make life simpler.

If you want to use a solid bar bridge with unwound g you need the "lightning" version like is used on epiphones.

Vibrolux59 likes this.
  6. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I imagine that they measured the scale for the posts like you would on a acoustic or most guitars and then made the bridge to correct the intonation as much as possible. Like a compensated acoustic saddle.

7. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

I don’t know why they’d all be different but being in a factory setting id assume they’d have some sort of scale length gauge and mark the body with that then drill,
    this is just speculation though and maybe someone here that knows about Gibson’s will show up

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.