Not a Tele Question, but need some help...

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by tonejam, Jun 16, 2019.

1. tonejam

tonejam Tele-Meister

trev333 likes this.
  2. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm sure someone will drop in soon to look at that harness.. first time I've seen that layout..

welcome aboard.:)

tonejam likes this.
  3. tonejam

tonejam Tele-Meister

Last chance to win the prize!

4. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

It ain't simple. Far as I can tell, you'd need to bypass both pickups' volume pots, and the three-way switch. Maybe you could have the extra volume pots inline (series), but I doubt it would be useful, and maybe worse.

You'd throw the series switch from any three-way position, and it overrides whatever pickup(s) you had selected. Feature or annoyance, it is what it is.

You'll need to buy a 3PDT mini toggle of some sort. Not too difficult to find - check Mouser.com.

I'm concerned about the grounding of a filtertron's case. It's possible the case is attached to the shield portion of the cable ONLY, which would be ideal. But I think it's more likely the case is connected to the pickup common lead. If so, you'll need to do minor surgery and rectify that. The way I've drawn it, you'd do the neck pickup only.

Master vol and tone would still work in series mode, of course.

Screen Shot 2019-06-18 at 05.49.57 AM.png

5. tonejam

tonejam Tele-Meister

Thanks Moosie, really appreciate you taking the time to do this!

6. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I forgot to show which way the 3PDT switch is oriented in my diagram. The poles run vertically, so the three commons form a horizontal row in the center.

To clarify the reason for possible surgery is that the pickup case must be grounded, and usually the assumption is that the negative lead will also be grounded. But in a series circuit, one pickup's hot connects to the other's negative, connecting them in line. So any implicit case ground must be separated, and the case gets its own ground wire. However, in a Gretsch, the leads are all shielded, so you will be able to use the (grounded) shield as the way to ground the case, eliminating the need for an extra wire.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.