Not a Tele but looking at finishing options

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by novakane, Jul 25, 2021.

1. novakane

novakane TDPRI Member

Really nice swamp ash Strat body I recently acquired.
    Am considering just doing a straight up natural Tru Oil finish or maybe some dye, like amber, then Tru Oil.
    Hardware is going to be black as shown, I'm committed there due to the investment into that particular bridge.
    What do folks think? Just straight Tru Oil or should I give this body a dye job first?
    I think it's a nice grain pattern on the wood and good ash seems to be getting rarer so I am trying to think of the best look to honour the wood, if that makes any sense.

Attached Files:

Laren, Danb541 and whoanelly15 like this.
  2. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

Mary Kaye finish.

KATT likes this.
  3. novakane

novakane TDPRI Member

Sort of a white wash? Don't see much in the way of those with black hardware, not sure how I'd dye that in or Tru Oil it.

4. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

I think a transparent blue would look cool with that setup.

something kinda like this:
    C73E6763-9B5D-4430-B2D1-08AAE9D991C5.jpeg

Kiwi_Neil and novakane like this.
  5. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Carolina's (pick one - that's where I'll be) USA
    With that hardware, I would likely lay down a super blonde french polish shellac finish, light coat of white lacquer till I got the contrast or level of opaque I wanted, build up a layer of gloss clear and wet sand and polish to high gloss. This will be super labor intensive.

My next choice would be to shoot with high gloss black lacquer, clear and polish to your taste. You can always user super blonde Shellac to french polish and fill and seal the wood before your color coat, no matter the color. I would use a 1 or 2 proud cut with my Shellac.

I like the Stew Mac lacquer for both the selection of colors, and the quality of the product.

Good luck and have fun.

Sunburst with your hardware would work too.
    90bf89a1a46560bf23a9839edc089b21.jpg fen82strat-brown-sb-rw2.jpg

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    phart, knopflerfan, novakane and 2 others like this.
  6. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

I have no opinion on your color scheme but I will give you the standard advice, which is particularly valid when you start talking about stains

Practice on wood of the same type as your guitar with the same products in the same sequence.

Its very hard to back up with stains if you don't like the results. Some woods take stains better than others. Some top finishes don't work well with some stains (I don't use TruOil so I have no experience).

novakane, Skydog1010 and Boreas like this.
  7. Beebe

Beebe Tele-Meister

This finish is surprisingly easy.

Step 1. A B wood bleach like from Zinsser or Daly's.

Step 2. Rubio Monocoat Oil Plus 2C in Cotton White. You could also go with their Super White for a less creamy white.

You just wipe on, let sit 15min and then wipe off. A single ("mono") coat is all you need.

IMG_20210309_092841803.jpg

8. Beebe

Beebe Tele-Meister

... Rubio sells the oil in 20ml sample sizes. One $5-10 20ml bottle is all you need for a body. If you want it to cure in 5 days instead of a month, you add 1 part 2C per 3 parts oil. The 2C comes in 100ml bottles that are about $20.

9. Beebe

Beebe Tele-Meister

This finish was done similarly, but rubbed one more coat of Rubio oil in Pure with some white gold mica powder mixed in.

IMG_20210312_150251528.jpg

stratisfied and MTPoteet like this.
  10. Freeman Keller

One trick, if you wipe your unfinished body with naphtha or DNA you will get a pretty good idea of how it will look under a wetting finish like lacquer or shellac. I don't know how much TruOil soaks into the wood (I don't think much) so how it will be absorbed by the grain I can't say, but this is a common trick that wood vendors do to show the grain.

novakane likes this.
  11. Freeman Keller

One more thing. I've never done a swamp ash body but StewMac says its a porous wood and should be pore filled. Where you do that relative to staining and other finishing steps depends a lot on the person doing the finishing, as well as the product you are using of course.

12. novakane

novakane TDPRI Member

Generally good advice, yes. I did do some scouting around for pieces of swamp ash, but it seems hard to come by - at least around here. My plan is to do some sample finish testing inside the body routes, I will be lining them with copper foil anyway so my tests won't visible when it's done.

13. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

Gold sparkle with matching gold headstock (or black headstock)

14. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Friend of Leo's

Your top pictured Strat looks incredible - love the finish. Just curious as to what it is?

Skydog1010 likes this.
  15. KATT

KATT Tele-Meister

I really like that! It maybe a stupid question, but why do you use the wood bleach?

16. Beebe

Beebe Tele-Meister

Thanks! I use the wood bleach to get a more uniform light finish. The pigment in the oil colors the grain more intensely than the harder wood, and you end up with more contrast without it. It's a way I found to get light color wipe on oil finishes. It works for surf colors as well, and for TV Yellow on mahogany.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    KATT likes this.
  17. Yonatan

Yonatan Tele-Holic

That will look great IMO with a black pickguard.

Not to hijack, but following this thread as I also have an ash (oak? ash? ????) Strat style body that I acquired a while back, waiting for me to figure out how to finish it. Originally was thinking of just grain filling + shellac (i.e. french polishing), as I've had outstanding results with this method before. Though maybe it could use a bit more color than what shellac will provide.

strat body (1).jpeg

18. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I would apply a light stain and start shooting lacquer. That grain is much too nice to hide it under paint.

19. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

Nice Ash! I like your plan of a light amber dye before finishing. I Think it would look great against the black hardware and fretboard. It should be a real nice looking strat when you're done.

novakane likes this.
  20. KATT

KATT Tele-Meister

Thanks. I may try this on a scrap of wood to see if I like the end result. From your photos, it looks like I will!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.