1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Not a tele but... got such good advice from tdpri I'm going to share

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by PaddyWagon, Oct 16, 2010.

1. PaddyWagon

PaddyWagon Tele-Meister

My 2nd guitar parts build, an Explorer for my grandson. I'd like to thank the pickups forum for helping me decide on a SD 59/JB humbucker pair. The body and neck from Warmoth arrived today and from the looks of it all I need to do is final sanding before getting down to business.

The body is mahogany, this one isn't too heavy, and it came straight out of the box in perfect condition. I'm going to use push-pull volume pots to split the coils and a 3-way switch to select pickup combination. I'm going to start with 250K and see if it gets too dark/muddy before swapping for 500K.

I'll be doing this one with dye to bare wood since mahogany takes to that evenly and neatly, and then do a large number of tru-oil layers to let the nice texture show through but still protect it from grandson shenanigans.

STP/TOM bridge. Neck is maple with rosewood, 24.75, simple other than the wiring.

I'll update again once I get past the prep and into doing the dye.

[​IMG]

2. Birdmankustomz

Birdmankustomz Friend of Leo's

Looks cool, I'd love it if my grandpa made me a guitar

3. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Very slick.
    How heavy is that one?

My buddy's tattoo artist wants me to make him one out of walnut. Just waiting for a check.

4. PaddyWagon

PaddyWagon Tele-Meister

A spot of overtime at work, but I got down to final sanding today and was doing the last bit of "wet it to bring up the fuzz" when I noticed that the natural would be a pretty nice look too. He's convinced that red is the way to go, so I did a test at the neck pocket and the lighter colored red area there is what I'm going to do tomorrow to the whole body.

I don't have a scale here, I'll figure something out later to get you an idea of the weight.

[​IMG]

5. PaddyWagon

PaddyWagon Tele-Meister

What a difference a day makes: one round of dye (aniline red mahogany) that was too light, sanded gently with 400 grit then an second dye at 2x strength, cleaned that up with a 3M pad (steel wool scares me), and then the first round of tru-oil. As my friend here says, "Mahogany sure does love oil, doesn't it."

I'm going to try for twice a day oil applications before moving onto the electronics.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.