Not a professional musician? What do you do for a living?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Deathray, May 20, 2019.

1. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

Since entering the work force I have been a stock boy, janitor in a hospital, dish washer, cook, restaurant manager, cab driver, warehouse worker, U. S. Marine, and a heavy equipment/heavy truck mechanic. In the past couple of years I have worked part time as a mechanic, and part time as a breakdown coordinator for a large trucking company. I basically sit by the phone and answer calls from drivers needing assistance. I then dispatch the necessary assistance to aid them, be it mechanics, tow trucks, etc. I have been playing the guitar for 53 years, and have even been in a few bands, but never made enough money to give up the day job.

Random1643 likes this.
  2. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

Sorry to hear that. Life can really be tough sometimes. I care for a wife of 47 years who has battled MS for years and uses a wheelchair, power chair and a walker for very short distances. It is nothing like what you must be going through but I can relate on some level to your situation.

Good luck

Harry Styron and Old duck like this.
  3. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

If you are 67 I think you should consider retirement. Unless you really enjoy going into work everyday. At three months past 62 I decided to throw in the towel and retire. You can only sit at a desk so long. Yesterday, I went out with a friend of mine bass fishing in my bass boat. Beats the heck out of looking out the window at a parking lot.

teletimetx likes this.
  4. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

I was a Contract’s Manager. But, here is the kicker that’s not my best skill. It is your line of, “I can solve problems in a manner that creates value for the customer and makes money for the company.” Whether you know it or not that is your real value to your company and is really hard to replace. The best skill is listening and problem solving.

supersoldier71 likes this.
  5. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Professional photo assistant and photographer at a studio that specializes in shooting high-end artwork for use in books, posters/banners, gallery sales, insurance purposes, the historical record, etc. I have been a photographer for almost 15 years now, and I've had this job for six.

Before learning photography, I was a nuke power plant mechanic in the U.S. Navy.

Before that, I was a pizza guy.

I have tried to maintain Ne'er Do Well status throughout all these careers, and I think I have done OK.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  6. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

Wanted to build hot rods as a kid. But that market hadn’t opened up yet, tried a few shops just turning wrenches in auto repair. Got a chance to go to a heavy duty mechanic school, diesel, trucking, construction equipment. Got an offer from a start up in public transit. Stayed in the bus side for twenty years, light rail opened up, I was the 1st to make that move, 15 years there. Commuter rail opened up, I made the move. Retired due to liver issues, we think due to exposure to a virus from exposure in public confined spaces and I was susceptible. Currently healing and enjoying being a casual player.

7. oatsoda

oatsoda Tele-Holic

Was between my regular jobs back in the late 80's, and did a two month stint working the graveyard shift at the haunted toys R us in Sunnyvale. Night shift paid 25c more an hour than the day shift, so I jumped at it. No customers to deal with after hours, at least, no live ones.

Registered Energy Advisor for 12 years now. Most days I feel pretty good about it.

8. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Afflicted Vendor Member

Liquor enforcement manager for a municipality by day, reverse engineer the rest of my waking hours.

9. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Contract wet work.

TeleTucson and Guitarteach like this.
  10. Old duck

Old duck Tele-Meister

Uh, you build swimming pools?

11. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted

You never know. Maybe he loofahs stretch marks*.

*That's from Caddyshack, in case there's a person left on Earth that hasn't seen it

Old duck likes this.
  12. gypsy jim

gypsy jim Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Engineer at large firm. I'm in the wastewater division. :(

13. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

I own a pretty popular Boneless Chicken Sandwich Franchise. Been working with then since I was 19. Became an owner at 22.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.