Not a professional musician? What do you do for a living?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Deathray, May 20, 2019.

1. reckless meanie

reckless meanie Tele-Meister

I’m a dentist. I don’t even own a PRS.

2. Chip

Chip Tele-Afflicted

I’m an autocad drafter and work at a structural engineering firm. I’ve been there for almost 16 years. Previous to that I worked at architectural firms.

It’s funny to me how my life has come full circle. When I was little, like 4 years old, I remember going to Cleveland Indians games and being in awe of Cleveland Municipal Stadium. I remember sitting and looking up at the upper deck and roof and being amazed by all the columns and trusses and how they worked together to hold up the building. When I got a little older I became really good at painting and drawing and planned on going to art school but that never panned out. After working in a bowling alley for 10 years I decided to go to school for drafting.

So, now I sit at a desk and draw columns and trusses. It all truly came full circle when I did the drawings for the structure supporting the new press box windows at Progressive Field, the current home of the Cleveland Indians.

In my free time I like to research and draw plans of old and current ballparks.
    Here’s a few examples....

93BEF79C-BE46-4493-9CCA-DA9A3376DB65.jpeg
    41BE6CEF-C65C-4BEB-81D0-1870A88CA141.jpeg
    973CC19E-5980-4724-B0ED-3F6CACC15BC3.jpeg
    5BB3A143-F495-4E9E-A524-C89B950583D0.jpeg
    34F84FCF-0BC1-4AAE-A268-2A570A958A60.jpeg
    CD709F00-2478-41D7-A6E8-E17EC32C49C4.jpeg

3. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

That's great, very interesting, but can you tell me why Citizens Bank (Phillies) has corners in the outfield?

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  4. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Chronic day-dreaming office drone in a callous and soul-crushing industry. Lowest level of middle management in a small corporation; so low in fact that I’m the only person in my department. I’ve been in this position since 1997, in the same office that has this scintillating view of the parking garage.

agate office - the view.jpg

Sometimes, I see it as a race between reaching retirement or meeting the grim reaper. Turned 67; lost several friends already. Knock, knock…who’s there? ...Can someone else get the door?

Since it’s a small oil company, I do lots of different stuff, but primarily negotiations. Contracts, M&A, government compliance, tax reviews, plus I make a decent pot of coffee. Armed only with an art degree and a butterfly net, I work with a lot of engineers and geologists and yeah, finance and IT.

Sometimes, it seems like the inverse of the attempted comedy in: “I’d tell you what I do, but then I’d have to kill you”. In my case, you might just want to do the job yourself. Have occasionally felt the attraction to be tugged into the cocoon of controlled substances, but dodged that bullet somehow.

But, then I remember to count the blessings. Managed to get three kids through university and off into the world. Survived a terrible marriage, only to find a kindred spirit who has made my life worth living. Life goes on. I have a weekly gig here in town that is low maintenance fun with friends.

I keep a cantaloupe-sized rock on my window sill that bears some resemblance to the human condition. Igneous in origin. A low grade mafic-basalt matrix, with a quartz lined “bubble” (a lighter magma of different material) that was rising up in the matrix magma while both were cooling. The mostly quartz got trapped, and solidified with the matrix. But inside, it’s pure agate. Beautiful stuff when it’s sliced and polished. But from the outside, it looks really dull and boring.

agate in host rock.jpg

Happy Friday, y’all!

5. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

I am another one of those software engineer guys. I do mostly Linux operations (sysadmin, containers, virtualization, cloud computing, server provisioning) as well as Python, Django, PostgreSQL, and other backend web development work.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  6. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Holic

Yeah, that's it, that's the answer......more meetings. DOH!
    Only one thing interrupts my coders train of thought more than a phone call.......a meeting. If you want the least productive group of programmers then put us all on an open floor in cubicles surrounded by jabbering accountants and sales recruiters, which is exactly what they did.

7. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Tele-Holic

I retired from the Army just over a year ago and have been at my new job as a Technical Writer-Editor for almost as long.

I work for a medium sized government contractor, I supervise eleven people.

I could make more money, but it would likely come with more hassles. I have a lot of autonomy, my people are cool to be around and they generally do what needs doing with a minimum of input from me.

I even like my boss.

My greatest fear is that someone will realize that I don’t really produce anything and they’ll fire me.

I got hired as a tech writer but got promoted five weeks in and during a very busy period where I did zero writing and a lot of crisis management. I have a decent relationship with our government client and can generally solve problems in a manner that creates value for the client and makes money for the company, but the fact is, I don’t create or produce anything.

I took the job because I was told that as a tech writer, I could put my headphones on and dive into my work. When I put my headphones on, it’s really just a signal to everyone that I’m not currently solving a problem, so it’s their turn to bring me a few.

I still like the job though.

I just need to get better at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harry Styron and Jim622 like this.
  8. Walker

Walker Tele-Afflicted

I'm a Middle School Music Teacher. The majority of the job is teaching Band with 1 section of General Music. Working with the kids is wonderful, it's the other non-teaching nonsense that can be a drag, but I can't imagine doing anything else.

Harry Styron, Jim622 and P Thought like this.
  9. ponce

ponce Tele-Holic

Same here :D

reckless meanie likes this.
  10. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

After working with homeless people for 12 years I now work for the state buying distressed housing assets from banks and receivers to turn back into social housing.

Harry Styron likes this.
  11. stormin1155

stormin1155 Tele-Meister

I'm officially retired from my real jobs of human resources manager, business consultant, and college teacher. Six years ago I turned my 25-year hobby of building, modding, and repairing guitars into a part-time business. So now I get to meet cool people (other guitar nerds), play their cool guitars, and get paid for it!

Jim622, Random1643 and Leftian like this.
  12. Leftian

Leftian TDPRI Member

What an interesting thread, so many fascinating people making music. Somehow I’m now the Managing Director of a division in a UK plc; before this I was an Airline Pilot and before that an Air Force Pilot. Been an interesting ride, only regret is not taking the guitar seriously until a few years ago, should’ve started way earlier!

Harry Styron and Jim622 like this.
  13. Tim Disney

Tim Disney TDPRI Member

Haha, no beating around the bush, that's for sure.

14. theaterguy

theaterguy TDPRI Member

As you might guess I work for theater. Sound design and running the musicals, dramas, happenings, gigs, almost everything...

Harry Styron, Jim622 and Random1643 like this.
  15. Mrbob135

Mrbob135 Tele-Holic

Working for my Uncle for 31 years now...I can retire any time I choose.

Jim622 likes this.
  16. Fret Wilkes

Fret Wilkes Friend of Leo's

I've been pushing data around for an electrical products distributor for the last 30 years. Unlike the gent above me here, I can't retire soon enough! ;0)

17. jimmadsen

jimmadsen TDPRI Member

I do Marketing and Advertising for a mining and manufacturing company. They still listen to what I say, and as long as they do that, I'll love working here. Retirement is 10 years off, and I don't want it yet, if that makes sense.

18. RL52

RL52 Tele-Meister

You the guy that makes the seats unaffordable?

19. Old duck

Old duck Tele-Meister

Eight years US Army (including Vietnam), 25 years public safety (Police Officer, Deputy Sheriff, Deputy Coroner) 17 years IT (Unix Sys Admin, C/Perl/Python). Finally was financially able to retire. Bought a nice travel trailer, got it set up and shook down. Wife had massive stroke. Three years as full time caregiver because I can't afford $9,000 per month for a skilled nursing facility. I can hardly wait for tomorrow because I get older and more tired every day. Got a few nice guitars though!

supersoldier71 and Harry Styron like this.
  20. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

I was a Parks and Recreation Director for a small municipality and a motorcycle safety instructor for the CHP program. Retired from both.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.