Not a professional musician? What do you do for a living?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Deathray, May 20, 2019.

1. RL52

RL52 Tele-Meister

Sold shoes.
    Worked on Wall Street
    US Merchant Marine, around the globe and Mississippi.
    High rise steel and scaffold laborer.
    20 years LEO
    Retired at 45
    Short stint in a hospital job.
    Retired, again, at 50.

Got a home study degree in porch sitting and being a general nuisance.

DonM, Jim622, Deathray and 2 others like this.
  2. DaveTone

DaveTone Tele-Meister

A lot of engineers on here. No wonder I feel so dumb. I am a drummer in guitarist's clothing.

3. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

I work for a Children's Hospital doing Insurance Eligibility. The TDPRI Tele Home Depot is the key to my addition.

Deathray likes this.
  4. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Best of luck!

5. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

I often wish I was in that position when I was younger. I think it would have given me more time to study & be a session musician which I always wanted to be. Not to be famous but to do what I love and travel the world. But instead, the lure of quick money, not much at the time, lead me to take on a apprenticeship as a panelbeater which with commuting at the time took up almost 12 hours of my day for over 5 years. I then worked my way through the trade, worked some as a loss assessor, then my own workshop, which all has taken up my time and energy. Anyway, now that the years slipped past with my dream I not only have full respect for professional musicians, but a little bit of envy as well even though it was all my choice.

Deathray likes this.
  6. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

What I do for a living is look for work in my profession. That's like a full-time job that doesn't pay or have benefits.

I'm a project manager in healthcare information technology. I'm on the infrastructure side (computing, printing, networking, and telecommunications), but have worked with many software teams. My specialty is the full-charge project management of equipping new hospitals from concept to full occupancy. Along the way, I work with clinical analysts and do workflow analysis with teams of nurses, doctors, and technicians.

Employment may be booming at the lower 50% of the scale, but I've never seen the job market this bad for professionals. In my sector, the "can't find qualified candidates" has been code for "we won't pay to fill these roles" for quite a while. Job descriptions get narrower and more vertical by the day and salaries/wages continue to drop for all but the most in-demand roles in tech cities.

DonM and Deathray like this.
  7. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

I found that working with a peds hospital was a calling that touched my heart. I'm an IT guy, but had plenty of interaction with staff and kids. They're special folks.

DonM likes this.
  8. DaphneBlue

DaphneBlue Tele-Meister

Wow my mum used to read me those stories and show me the pictures in the book!!!

Tim Disney likes this.
  9. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

I come here to forget about my job. I’ve had many in the advertising business over the past 30 years so I guess you can say I’m an Ad Man. Recently I’ve been helping smaller companies win new business but the work was kind of lonely for me so I’m looking for something else.

Jim622 and Deathray like this.
  10. Blackguard77

Blackguard77 TDPRI Member

I'm a industrial mechanic ( Millwright ) working for a canadian courrier company in Montreal.

Deathray likes this.
  11. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

On a contract gig, a DBA was in the cube next to mine and he seemed to be in a permenantly exasperated state. When on any kind of job, I write down the ridiculous and often true things that I and others say. I'm sorry to say that I've lost the quotes file from that gig.

The DBA would say things into the phone, like "Well, if you're getting a different error, now, then that's progress." and "Uh... ... ... ... ... ... it seems that no one on the team thought to tell management that the system crashed." and immediately after that, on mute, "Not my #@$%! problem! Idiots!!!"

In my experience, DBAs are steady souls when given enough time and solitude to do their actual jobs.

Deathray likes this.
  12. Jerry_Mountains

Jerry_Mountains Tele-Meister

They hang out in the PRS and LP forum I think :D

bgmacaw and Deathray like this.
  13. Silent Otto

Silent Otto Tele-Meister

I possess rare and esoteric knowledge of arcane matters, which keeps me employed as a grammar teacher.
    [​IMG]

14. DaveTone

DaveTone Tele-Meister

Im QA in the same industry

15. DaveTone

DaveTone Tele-Meister

I have this book of bedtime stories - they are pretty terrible :) Kids drowning or blown away (aforementioned thumbs removed). It's pretty gnarly.

like in a tubular way, ya know?

Honorable Mention: GWOT! Another collection of stories I grew up with ("WHO ATE MY HAIRY TOE?") - terrifying in its own regard.

Tim Disney likes this.
  16. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

Try to get a print of the ORIGINAL "Grimms Märchen" - there are some really gruesome stories amongst the well known fairytales. Kindeserziehung in the 19th century surely was.....ahem, different....

Tim Disney likes this.
  17. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm a crowd estimator.

When you read or hear about a crowd at some event being estimated at a certain number, 9 out of 10 times, those are my numbers.

DaphneBlue, Harry Styron and Deathray like this.
  18. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

“Life in the United States of America should never be dull, but sometimes I have the sensation that I am living is a vast industrial establishment, devoted to the manufacture of putty knives.” Elmer Roessner.

Matt G likes this.
  19. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I was in the healthcare information systems on the software development side myself during most of the 00's, post the dot-com-bust. More and more my job became working on the insurance and reimbursement side of things. I was glad to get out of it and move into the manufacturing arena.

20. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

I'm on the provider (hospital/healthcare) side, but my wife is a consultant on the payer (healthcare insurance) side. That seems to be even more insane than my sector.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.