1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Nostalgia buys

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by naveed211, Nov 3, 2020.

1. Scooter91

Scooter91 Tele-Afflicted

Mine had two mustache pickups, the white skirted knobs, red burst. One day I'll get another, maybe (probably).

Telekarster likes this.
  2. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That bike is beautiful! I had a GT550 while I was in college.

3. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

Not really nostalgia, but close enough...

I had to have a made-in-Meridian Peavey amp because I have lots of family a few miles south of there. A Peavey Classic 20 combo, which is a gnarly little amp that doubles as a burrito warmer:eek:

naveed211 likes this.
  4. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

6F787128-14C3-4F89-AF28-9E6A609AE37F.jpeg 93285507-86BA-45F8-8DEF-CE35603B235E.jpeg I did buy an Epi Nighthawk from a neighbor. I’d always wanted one and it helped him out so why not? (The wall will have 2-9ft sections of 1x5 1/2 which will hold 11 instruments when I’m done.)

studio1087 likes this.
  5. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

I had a Bob Logan Tele for a while as he’s from where I grew up. May still have him refinish and do some work on my current Tele.

Good to support the old stomping grounds.

6. Razzle

Razzle Tele-Meister

I used to play a Kustom 200 2x15 tuck and roll silver. Cranked it to 9, sounded great. Not looking, but if I saw one for sale in good shape. It'd be hard to resist.

7. Fred.T

Fred.T Tele-Meister

8. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

For many years the only guitar I missed/regretted from the Great Guitar and Amp Collection Mortgage Payment Massacre of the mid/late 1990’s was the 1983 G&L Nighthawk I sold, ignorant of the rarity of the model and how it would not be possible to replace it sonically.

15 years later, situations aligned to where simultaneously I found another—same year and model—that looked dang near exact and I had the money to acquire it.

Unfortunately, it didn’t sound the same as the first one and I could not bond with it.

I broke even when I sold it, and don’t regret the exercise of trying to reclaim a good memory.

The second one also reminded me of the high quality of the early G&Ls, so I added a nice memory to the pile.

Here’s the replacement:

A7CBBBC5-62E2-4538-AFC3-84D40504FA3E.jpeg CE659308-A960-495A-8363-2BB38EF17991.jpeg

SecretSquirrel and superjam144 like this.
  9. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

1982 Washburn Hawk (Wing Series mentioned above). I was the first owner, but let it go a few years later. Recently on a whim I did a Google search and found the very same guitar for sale locally. Actual same guitar! Great sound.

SecretSquirrel likes this.
  10. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

I can’t remember buying anything just for nostalgic reasons. I have purchased things I’ve owned in the past because I liked them and wanted another

11. Coloradotwanger

Coloradotwanger Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I do the same.I just picked up one of the new Kramer Barretta Vintage guitars with the Floyd Rose.Having fun with it so far.

12. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

And I bet it's the best 49$ you ever spent.

[​IMG]

13. Coloradotwanger

Coloradotwanger Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

That would fit in right nice at my place too!

14. bigbean

bigbean Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

One of my good friends, now deceased thirty years, had a first rig made up with a Kapa Continental, a coil cord and an Ampeg Reverberocket 2. It was the first good sounding electric rig I got to play. We played music for hours and hours together. Even though I have sworn off tube amps for all time, I have come millimeters from buying that rig thirty times in the last ten years. Alas, I know that owning that stuff won't bring him back for even an hour.

I also know that the Kapa's were a poorly finished product (most of the guitars had the finish come off in big flakes in the 70s- very iffy slide switches, with Hoffner pickups and a janky vibrato) and the Ampeg amps had good tone, cool vibrato and verb but are under powered, have front panels prone to rust, don't break up all that well, are too heavy, with handles that broke thirty years ago and tolex that will rip if you breath on it funny and have an odd selection of tubes.

It Doesn't Matter. A couple of times this winter I'll be haunting Ebay and Reverb looking at them.

I apologize for the harsh assessment of the gear, just my opinion. I'm sure some love that gear for the same reason I did in 1965.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.