1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Nostalgia buys

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by naveed211, Nov 3, 2020.

1. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

You guys ever buy stuff based off nostalgia?

I saw a Line 6 Flextone III came available locally and I’m tempted to buy it for no other reason than it was the first expensive (at the time) amp I bought when I graduated high school when they were brand new. It was a big deal for me at the time.

Honestly, I don’t even remember it sounding all that good, though I’d bet I could dial in a better tone nowadays. It’d be a total nostalgia purchase, and I probably won’t, but I gave it some thought.

2. electrichead

electrichead Tele-Meister

Sometimes its worth it as you say just for the good feeling's it brings you..
    Also like a good movie from way back once you try and watch it again its just not the same..

Greggorios likes this.
  3. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Holic

I never bought a piece of gear because if nostalgia, because I kept most of the gear from my early years

4. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

My Gretsch Anniversary and my Gibson SG. I wanted both of them back in the '60s when I was in high school. Both were out of my price range and the idea of owning two guitars? Who'd have thought that could be possible.

kingofdogs1950, Greggorios and elihu like this.
  5. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

I’ve been watching for a late 70’s Cortez Bass (natural) as a reminder of my friend who played bass when we were teens.

SecretSquirrel likes this.
  6. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

yeah...last week I bought an '84 MIJ Kramer Focus 3000...bought my first '84 Kramer brand new, in high school.

This one needs some care and is currently almost completely tore down on my bench after the previous owner rewired it and experimented with "relicing". Fun project. 20201031_161104.jpg

buster poser and naveed211 like this.
  7. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

I just did exactly this. I saw a guitar that looked almost identical to a Les Paul I had as a very lucky 13 year old kid, and I snagged it up immediately. I'd never bought anything based on nostalgia before, and I very, very rarely buy a guitar based on looks, but it so happened that this guitar I just bought filled a need (p-90s) that I've wanted to fill. Very happy with it!

naveed211 likes this.
  8. USian Pie

USian Pie Tele-Meister

I came this close to buying an early 80s red Ibanez V a few years ago.

It was identical to the one in the Ibanez catalog I used to stare at.

I did the research on it and made sure I had funds. When I went back to get it, it was gone.

Here's the catalog picture:

https://www.ibanez.com/usa/support/catalogs/19830101000001.html

9. Mr. St. Paul

Mr. St. Paul Tele-Meister

Yep. Was talking with a friend in 2013 about a Hondo II Les Paul copy I owned from 1984 to 1987 (when I traded it in on a Squier Strat). The very next day, the guitar shows up on CL. Not the same model of guitar, but the exact guitar I used to own. I could tell because of two small holes I drilled in the headstock to mount a logo. The owner was asking $100 for it. The coincidence of it showing up right after I though about it for the first time in years was too much to ignore. I bought it the next day. She told me she bought it in 1987 from the store I traded it in to, so it went from my hands to hers and back to me 26 years later.

10. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

I've purchased songs I hated when they first came out because they now trigger the nostalgia, but I haven't been that way with gear.

11. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I had a Martin “Cowboy III” when they first came out...all high pressure laminate (HPL) with artwork by Robert Armstrong. Let it go at some point.
    Then recently my wife spotted one for sale. As you can see, it sort of belongs here! ( and sounds pretty dang good for a guitar made from countertops)

80FB7AD1-8120-4CAF-AE19-9636299A5BA2.jpeg

12. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Vox wah wah.
    Don’t use. Just cool

Ricky D. and Greggorios like this.
  13. Scooter91

Scooter91 Tele-Holic

On yeah, I'm still watching for a nice deal on a 60s Harmony Rocket, my first "real" guitar.

14. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

I have a hold on a 2020 Epiphone 1959 Les Paul Outfit in aged cherry, if they ever make a local appearance.

Long story, but the Reader's Digest version is I had an original that I sold back in 1970 -- made $25 (sold for $275) over what I paid for it ($250)! Kick myself every day since for letting it go, but circumstances back then required it to be gone...

Attached Files:

Greggorios likes this.
  15. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

Not a nostalgia purchase per se, though I was a child of the 80s, but I had been tracking one of those on Reverb and thought about pulling the trigger. 80s Ibanez are great guitars.

16. buster poser

buster poser Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

17. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

I've looked on eBay occasionally at Jedson Les Paul copies, purely cos that was my first electric. Then the rose tinted spectacles of nostalgia come off and the reality of what a piece of poo it actually was hits me. I really liked it at the time but it's not an experience I'm gonna repeat.

18. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Arion pedals,

But I was considering getting some real toys I had.

kingofdogs1950 likes this.
  19. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I have to mention this one also. I recently got back a guitar I bought in the 80’s that I had sold off...top picture is my boy in 1984. Bottom picture, my son with the SAME guitar re-aquired this September!

0F4A86F4-F905-4437-88AE-D611C3188A9E.jpeg 674F35CB-75F8-4C4D-A07E-7ADD9F148665.jpeg

20. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

I didn't own two electric guitars at the same time until I turned 50...always had to sell one to get another.

Too many kids I guess.

But as far as buying back some of my old guitars there's only one I miss. It was a 1969 Telecaster Thinline.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
    ponce, Greggorios and JL_LI like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.