1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

nosmo's 2012 Challenge Build Thread -- COMPLETED

Discussion in '2012 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge' started by nosmo, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

Awesome jigs - I may have to make that fretboard jig for this challenge - my old way of doing it always leaves me with too much sanding to get it just right.

Also - I love your signature "Telecaster - The AK-47 of the guitar world. Some may think its ugly...but it works!"... That's great!

2. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

You know Mojo, I have to admit I always thought tele's were ugly. Just really plane jane. But after hanging around this forum, I have a whole new respect for them. And I actually like the way they look, it's a classic.

3. anyone

anyone Tele-Holic

This is a bit like Mike Tyson entering a dojo as a white belt...

Thanks for all the lessons!

4. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

anyone - You're too kind, but I promise I wont bite off any ears;)

5. tklaavo

tklaavo Tele-Holic

When I was young I hated Teles. They were not GRUNGE at all!
    Now I love these basic, no-nonsense guitars: Tele, LP jr, anything that is "easy" to build yourself...

6. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Saw this last night & thought it was pretty cool
    [​IMG]

Figured I'd share it with you.

Keep up all the good work, I've been watching as many of the other builds as I can when time permits. This forum & its members are amazing!

7. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Here's a wild idea for getting some weight out (this idea of course was stolen from someone else on here, who probably stole it from someone else who probably...)

Cut the body in half :eek: I know crazy, but you have mad skillz and frankly you don't seemed "challenged" like some of us are :p.

Then hollow it out like this.

[​IMG]

Then glue it back together, you could add a sexy little stripe down the center to make up for the material the width of the blade removed.

8. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Now that's something I didn't think of! I kind of like it. My plan does involve holes.

I had a bunch of other ideas, but some of them involved helium so I'm probably over thinking it. Maybe next year the "Lighter than Air Guitar". The strap could attach to your belt instead of over your shoulder!

9. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

When I was a kid I played in a band where the Bass player hooked his guitar onto a belt bracket, very strange, but it worked for him!

10. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

:lol: Cool ZZ Top style, could he make his bass spin around on his buckle?

11. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Well I can't do much on my build, but I had a little time so I thought I'd throw together a fret bending rig.

I cut the wheel off a caster like this
    [​IMG]

Then I marked a piece of aluminum
    [​IMG]

And drilled it. Couple of bolts, some brass rollers
    [​IMG]

The right roller is adjustable, I guess this will work - I don't have any fret wire to test it on. Still need to slot the big roller and clean it up, but I'll do that when I get home. May make a better handle too!
    [​IMG]

Everybody seems to be making pretty good progress with their builds. I've had some time to look at alot of them. There be great stuff goin' on here!

Later

12. alscort93

alscort93 Tele-Meister

That is one kickin fret board. Nice work!

13. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Thanks - I wanted to do something different, but around here, different is a relative term. I mean my fretboard is only wood!

14. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Nice fret bender. I found some great instructions on youtube last year and made myself one. It cost me a grand total of about $15 in parts from Fastenal. Gotta love the interwebz:D

15. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

I told my life how cool your fret board was while I was having my roman numeral crisis. She just said, we'll you can't steal that cool idea if someone else is doing it. You better go think of something else.

16. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Now that's funny:lol:

Everything I'm doing came from ideas I've seen on this forum. I mean, so the markers are straight lines, but they could be circles (that's where I got the idea), or triangles, or cloverleafs...know what I mean? Roger's building a guitar out of CONCRETE! Turns out, that has already been done (I guarantee not as well), but who woulda' thunk?

Your dots on that fretboard.....man, that's as pretty as I've seen.

17. clsatt

clsatt Tele-Afflicted

I use basically the same markers on my builds, I've tried doing them set in aswell as all the way through. it looks like your fit is better than some of my attempts. first one I did clear through, the markers were too tight and caused the board to twist-- the next was too loose and the board sounded dead afterward (it was paduak and rang like crazy before.) I'll definately be setting up a sled like the one you used for cutting them from here on. I like the dark lines on a light board aswell, looks damn good.

crazydave911 likes this.
  18. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

clsatt - Thanks.

Yeah, the point I was triing to make is I don't think there is much that hasn't been tried before. There is great imagination on this forum and great craftsmanship, so even if it has been done - try to do it better.

I'd like to see some pice of your fingerboards. I was worried about them being too tight and curving the board, but they fit pretty well and any gaps were filled with the glue. I hope it works, it's my first fretboard so I guess I'll find out. I've used jigs similar to that for different cuts on the tablesaw alot.

19. clsatt

clsatt Tele-Afflicted

I get your point, mine was the same-- I'll be using your jig in the near future on some of my builds!
    This is a shot of the latest. It's not a good shot and I still havn't cleaned the lacquer off the frets completely :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

20. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

I hope mine looks that good when I'm done.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.