1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

nosmo's 2012 Challenge Build Thread -- COMPLETED

Discussion in '2012 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge' started by nosmo, Mar 14, 2012.

1. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Roger - Wow I never thought of putting the router on top. That might work better. It took me a long time to write the last post and you posted while I was doing it....so to speak.

2. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry. :oops: I didn't realize you were using that setup with a router table. I just figured it was being used as I'd seen all the others with that same basic design.

Just another example of me thinking I know what I'm talking about:oops:

3. mkhhunt

mkhhunt Tele-Meister

Wow, excellent jig! I personally prefer router table for bigger work pieces and jigs... I never was comfortable with hand held routing for larger work.

You have a great build coming along. Thanks. It's fun to follow along and steal ideas for later.

Cheers Murray

4. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

mk - steal away, no problem. Most of the jigs I'm making are rip-offs of jigs I've seen here in other threads. My router isn't the greatest & the base is garbage. The table seems to work out best for me.

Roger - I have a small laminate trimmer and it might work really well with this jig built upside down. There's alway room for improvement!

There is a neat jig for contouring the back of the neck that I've seen here. Plans and everything. I'm sorry I can't remember the thread (I'll try to find it when I get a chance- Guy's name that invented it starts with an S). I was going to try to use it on this build, but we'll just have to see how that goes.

5. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Well, I have a few minutes between rat killing, so on with the build.

OK, I had the jig for my fingerboard and I had my slots cut, so obviously the next logical thing to do was install the side markers. Huh?

No, really to do that I had to do this...
    [​IMG]

and this...
    [​IMG]

which gave me two of these...
    [​IMG]

that went under this...
    [​IMG]

that got cut like this.
    [​IMG]

Then I squared up a scrap of 2x4 like this...
    [​IMG]

and this...
    [​IMG]

and this.
    [​IMG]

Then I raised the blade to here...
    [​IMG]

so I could do this.
    [​IMG]

6. Olav

Olav Tele-Afflicted

I believe you're thinking of Bill Scheltema.

7. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Olav - That's the guy. His neck contour jig was the inspiration for my fingerboard jig. Thank you.

8. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Got to fill those cuts in with something, so I found a piece of walnut leftover from the top and cut it like this
    [​IMG]
    and I moved it over one kerf and made a mark on the jig.

Move it over to the mark and make another cut like so.
    [​IMG]

And so on....
    [​IMG]

Then I taped them with the famous blue tape and cut them off on the band saw.
    [​IMG]
    This keeps them from disapearing on the floor. It also keeps the grain in order.(I hate it when grain gets out of order - you just want to slap it!)
    [​IMG]

Cut them off, sand a little and fit them in place like this
    [​IMG]

Then I glued them in...
    [​IMG]

They are actually shorter than the fretboard is thick, so I had to sand 1 end at a small angle and keep the end at the middle of the fretboard a bit higher than the edge. This is a (bad) picture of the back of the fingerboard. The markers are even with the bottom at the edge but not in the middle. That's because soon the fingerboard will have a radius and be thicker in the middle get it?
    [​IMG]

Now its mounted in the radius jig all ready to go
    [​IMG]
    The carrier is upside down;)

All radiused and ready to...
    [​IMG]
    Cut the fret slots again:eek:

Apparently I didn't cut them deep enough. I intended to cut them to match the radius after this, but I hadn't planned on marking them out again!

Oh well, at least I cut the nut slots deep enough.

Two steps forward and one step back - is it just me?

At least the side markers came out alright
    [​IMG]

9. tklaavo

tklaavo Tele-Holic

Your radiusing jig works so much better than mine..
    Both are based on the same idea though.
    Going to improve my system after this challenge is over.
    I like the markers too!

10. emoney

emoney Tele-Afflicted

If it wasn't for two steps forward and one step back, I'd be sedentary!
    I like the marker "inserts".

11. RogerC

Great job on the side markers. I've been wanting to try that on a future build but wasn't sure how to go about it. Thanks for showing that process

12. devo_stevo

devo_stevo Tele-Meister

Looks great. Love the position markers.

13. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

Cool! It'll have a real "piano key" quality to it when the frets go on.

14. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Thanks everybody.

I saw something like this on the forum but they were circles on the edge so they got cut in half - they looked great. That kind of inspired me to try this method. I wish I could give the proper credit, but I've read so many threads I can't find the pictures of those. Well.....that and the short term memory loss.

Yeah - piano keys - think ebony & maple, cool.

15. Matt Haskins

Matt Haskins Tele-Meister

Ya, it would be great to know who you got it from so I can give credit to them also someday when I steal this idea from the both of you. :p I really like the look.

16. JDO

JDO Tele-Holic

dang! this is nice. love the bass idea.

17. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Well, where was I? Oh yeah, I had just finished removing the fret slots on my fingerboard with the radius jig so I needed some instant gratification to get my spirits back up. And I'm not talking about the spirits in that green bottle. OK, lets look around the shop and see what we can do that's easy.....Ah ha!

Found this sitting in the corner.
    [​IMG]
    I think all the clamps I own are on that thing, although there may be a few others lost on the floor somewhere.

So I take it out and cut it close with the bandsaw
    [​IMG]

Then I sanded the top with a belt sander, but I'm guessing all of you know what one of them looks like. I sanded the edges with the ROSS, but again I know for sure you know what that looks like 'cause half my pictures have the ROSS in them.

Finally I wiped the top with some naptha and tried to get a picture before it evaporated (that stuff dries FAST!). And it looks something like this
    [​IMG]
    I didn't sand the horns because I would have had to swap the belt & spindle on the ROSS. I know, it takes about 30 seconds, but I had to cut the grass before I left for the dreaded 'real job'.

All in all I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out, the center lines of the top and body core match up very well. However, it is a bit heavy. I mean heavy like a cement guitar made without perlite! OK, that just gives me something to think about while I'm offshore. Chamber it? Put a cap on the back? Don't put a cap on the chambered back? Ooooo.... I might have something there, of course that might look really, really bad. Maybe the Jack Wells skeletonizing route - no I think someone has done that (looks great by the way). Maybe the biggest belly cut you've ever seen. Maybe a belly cut and a leg cut. You don't think I'm overthinking this do you?

Actually, I don't play in a band. Most of my diddling around is done sitting down anyway so a heavy guitar dosen't bother me too much, but I know it would drive some of you crazy. So, since this is all about you, I'll have to figure something out.

18. RogerC

Or you could drill a series of deep plugs out of the sides.... and fill it with perlite :lol:

That's a beautiful top btw!

19. emoney

emoney Tele-Afflicted

Just thought I'd add to your "pressure feeling"

"Heavy guitars are down right sinful".

I think Confucius said that.
    (body looks great, btw)

20. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

enoney - There seem to be quite a few people on this forum that HATE heavy guitars (probably why they're not on the Les P forum)

Roger - How about deep holes in the sides not filled with anything and plugged. Kind of poka-dot edges. Ewe! But maybe?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.