1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

nosmo's 2012 Challenge Build Thread -- COMPLETED

Discussion in '2012 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge' started by nosmo, Mar 14, 2012.

1. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

flatfive - Thanks. No, no guitars. I used to own a business where I built wooden geared clocks. I got kind of burned out on woodworking. I have a real job now, but I don't have the tools I used to have.

2. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I really like your "jointing without a jointer" (or a big ole jointer plane). Glad the BFH did not occur to you when you realized you'd routed the wrong side of the neck. Or, better yet, that you had the restraint to think of it, but not act on it!

Great shop, by the way.

3. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Thanks R. I did actually use the BFH to tap the patch in.

4. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Yeah, if you plan on straightening a board with a table saw that way, you really need to make sure the two pieces you're using are secure. If they come apart in the middle of the cut you're going to have wood flying all over the place. It's something I have used before, but I don't usually use little brads barely in a 1" piece of hardwood. Like I said though, I was just shaving the board a little.

5. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Fantastic save! I wish I was closer to you too so you could teach a large number of things :D

6. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Alrighty then - on to the body. What could I mess up there? All I have to do is attach the template and rout it.

Well, I guess I could do this!
    [​IMG]

This is not as easy as you guys make it look! That Pecan (that may really be Hickory) is kind of splintery. Yes that's a word. I saw it here on the TDPRI so it has to be right. Split out a small piece on the back, but I glued it back in and I was planning to put a pretty heavy round over on the body anyway.

This fix may be easier than the last one though. It's on the fat part of the body (that's a technical term) near the jack.
    [​IMG]

I think I can either sand it out, that would change the profile but probably not enough to notice, or I could move the jack to cover it. Have to think about that one.

7. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Roger - I only learned how to fix things because I break things. I'm sure you could teach me plenty!

8. tklaavo

tklaavo Tele-Holic

Maybe you could just move the template about 1/2 mm and rout the tearout area again? I did that many times on thermo-treated ash, which is the brittlest and "splinteriest" (is that an English word?) stuff I've ever worked on.

After seeing your incredible save on the neck, I bet you can do this too...

9. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

I really got lucky on the neck deal. The Brazilian cherry has lots of dark grain so the patch just blended right in. I don't think it would have looked as good with a different wood.

The tear out on the body is no big deal. I may take your advise and rout it again. Its not real deep so I can probably sand it out. I'm thinking about the fretboard & neck now. I really don't know what I'm doing, but I'm having fun trying to figure it out.

10. emoney

emoney Tele-Afflicted

They way I see it, it's not a mistake if you can "cover it up". Great work so far.

11. helectrix

helectrix Tele-Meister

:)

great build so far!

I once sanded a radius on both sides of a fretboard. halfway through the second part I realized I had started sanding on the other side... this should make you feel good :)

12. Guitar novice

Guitar novice Tele-Afflicted

Nosmo

Great work so far.

Great save on the neck. Looking forward to seeing more progress

Cheers

13. devo_stevo

devo_stevo Tele-Meister

Looking good so far. I like it.

14. Ryden

Ryden Tele-Meister

I had a genuine LOL at your blue tape!

Don't sweat that tear out in the body, I've had a few of those and they generally dissapear in the sanding. If you think its too deep, then do as TKlaavo said and just reroute the lower bout a smidgen.

Use a brand new bit!

I gave up on expensive bits and just buy a new $2 one every time I need a good route. When it starts to scorch the wood, throw it away and get another.
    When I did the pickup cavities on my first build, I actually started a small fire in the center pickup cavity. Since then I re-learnt the value of sharp tools.
    [​IMG]

15. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Nice work so far.

16. axedaddy

axedaddy Tele-Afflicted

Nice, I should have a bunch of these all over my shop.:p

17. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Thanks everyone -

Speaking of 'cover up', I almost didn't put that rescue in the thread. I felt really stupid & embarrassed for routing the wrong side and thought 'nobody will ever know if I don't tell them'. Then I thought about why I'm building a guitar in the first place. It's because I read untold numbers of build threads here, and bunches of threads by some of the best builders anywhere giving away their secrets & advise for free. I read about so many mistakes and fixes and words of encouragement....

I don't really know how to say what I'm trying to say. I guess I just feel like I owe it to the people at this forum to be honest. I don't expect to win anything, I just hope to end up with a new guitar, a bunch of experience and maybe some new friends.

That was a new bit, I think it had more to do with operator error.

18. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

I'd use it - just use more glue:lol:

19. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Well drat - I got a phone call today and now I have to go do that 'real job' I was talking about. Probably be gone for 3 weeks or so.

I did get some stuff accomplished today so I'll post the pics later if I get a chance. More like tomorrow I bet. At least I'll get a chance to read some of the other threads.

I miss it already - I'm having builders withdrawal!

20. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

3 weeks :eek:, so you are either an offshore oil driller or a sherpa guiding people up Everest no?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.