1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

nosmo's 2012 Challenge Build Thread -- COMPLETED

Discussion in '2012 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge' started by nosmo, Mar 14, 2012.

1. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Thanks Mike - I have quite a bit of woodworking experience, but everything I know about building guitars I learned right here at TDPRI.

James - That is very kind of you. If I could put a finish on like you can, I wouldn't have to take the pictures out of focus! :D Maybe I should buy a new camera, but there sure are a lot of tools I'd rather have first. ;) I already have plans for a couple new Teles. I'll be sure to post the builds (I imagine I'll need some advise).

2. Allthesound

Allthesound Tele-Afflicted

I really wasn't ignoring you.:D Your bass is absolutely beautiful! Your wood working skills are superb it's simply amazing this was your first. Great video congrats on a top notch build. And like so many others I'm really looking forward to seeing your next creations.

3. emoney

emoney Tele-Afflicted

We all love the bass! It almost makes me want to go back to playing bass!

4. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Steve - Never thought you were ignoring me. Thanks for the kind words. Got 2 or 3 planned already ;)

Eric - It's funny how you can tell when someone is checking out the threads. It's kind of like we follow each other around. :D I see you & Roger post on most of them. I kind of do and don't. Depends on if something pops into my head. I mean how many times can you say "Hey, your guitar looks great"? They ALL look great. I'm just glad I'm not a judge in this contest. Can you imagine how hard it would be to pick a winner?

5. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Final Post

Well, here's my final post. Nothing new here. I never got a chance to have a real musician play it, so again, you're stuck with my playing.

Here's what we have:

30" scale bass

Overall length = 41" tip to tail (fits in a standard Tele case)

Final weight = 8 lbs

Body - Book matched Claro Walnut top, Chambered Hickory core with Claro Walnut inserts & Walnut tone bar. Finished with hand rubbed Tru Oil.

Neck - Laminated Brazilian Cherry & Hard Maple w/heel adjustable 2 way truss rod. Birds eye Maple fingerboard, curved 1/4" Walnut headstock veneer. Tru Oil finish. Corian nut.

Neck mounted to body with machine screws & threaded inserts.

Wilkinson mini Bass tuners. High mass top mount bridge (converted to string through w/brass top plate).

Fender original P-Bass pickup, Switchcraft jack w/recessed Electrosocket jack plate, CTS 250k Pots, Orange Drop .047 Cap.

Fender medium light short scale strings (.045 - .100)

My picture:
    [​IMG]

And my video:

Once again I would like to thank all the members that helped me through my first build. I would also like to thank all the builders in last years challenge (I read every thread) that inspired me to build a guitar in the first place. And last, but certainly not least, I would like to thank Paul and all the others at TDPRI for running the best forum in the world and allowing me to compete in this years challenge.

:D:D:D:D:D

crazydave911 likes this.
  6. mmoncur

mmoncur Tele-Meister

Congratulations on first place! It's a finely crafted bass and a well deserved win.

crazydave911 likes this.
  7. BR06623

BR06623 Tele-Meister

Congratulations Nosmo! I think you did an outstanding job. The craftsmanship on this one is really top notch, and would have competed well in the main challenge. It is completely deserving of the number one spot. Glad it went to a fellow Texan!

crazydave911 likes this.
  8. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's

Way to go, Nosmo... you set a really high standard for all of us, beginner and veteran alike. Be proud.

9. dannyp8262

dannyp8262 TDPRI Member

Great Job!!!! Congrats!!!!!

10. gearhead1972

gearhead1972 Tele-Meister

Nice, job man, your name from now on to me is no longer nosmo but nemesis lol you got some skills man.

11. Ryden

Ryden Tele-Meister

A feud that will make the Hatfield vs. McCoys look like a learned discourse! :D
    Congratulations!

Edit:
    Congratulation to you both and to all the other beginners, actally finishing this challenge is not a feat to be taken lightly. There was quite a few seasoned veterans that fell through.

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  12. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

Brilliant, Nosmo! It scares me that you'll be competing in the main challenge next year :eek:

Well deserved congratulations!

crazydave911 likes this.
  13. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Thanks - Still think it could have gone either way.

It would be weird to say don't mess with Texas wouldn't it?

I don't think I'd panic if I were you :D

You are all too kind - but I do appreciate it.

I can't wait to build another, but the next one will probably be pretty standard just to see if I can do it. I need to practice my finishing too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.