NOSD Jensen

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by powerwagonjohn, Jul 23, 2019.

1. powerwagonjohn

powerwagonjohn Tele-Meister

I went by Midwest Speaker the other day to pick up a connector and I always look at their used speaker selection. I found a 15" Jensen Vibranto speaker marked 220715 which a guess would be 1967. The speaker is marked EM 1550 so I assumed it was a ceramic magnet but when we took the cover off I found it was a alnico magnet. After looking it up it is a guitar and accordion speaker with the original cone. My friend at the shop told me all the used speakers were 20% off so for $60.00 it came home with me. It sounds great and may make an appearance in my 1962 Pro soon. I also picked up a 10" Fender speaker from a garage sale for $5.00 the same day I picked up an Eminence off C/L. That's 3 speakers in two days, I do have a problem...not enough cabinets.
    Thanks john

Attached Files:

nojazzhere and bftfender like this.
  2. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Cool, wrinkle finish and all. Being wrinkle finish It may be 50's rather than 60's . Not sure. The only Jensens I've had with wrinkle were 50's.

bftfender and Wally like this.
  3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

1967 would be late for an Alnico jensen, ime. Cool speaker.

bftfender likes this.
  4. powerwagonjohn

I suppose it could be from the 50's, the other pair I have, have the original cones and aluminum dust caps. I believe these were built on the basket of the P15-LL low frequency drivers. I didn't think Jensen made Vibrantos in the 50's but could be wrong.
    Thanks John

5. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Alnico Vibranto and EM Special Design 15's were leftover frames from the 50's and built in the mid to late 60's. Jensen probably ordered more frames than production called for, as 15's were not very popular for guitar; even more so after a certain group hit the USA in 1964.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    nojazzhere, Wally and powerwagonjohn like this.
  6. powerwagonjohn

I installed the Vibranto into my 1962 Fender Pro Amp and it sounds great. Real good vintage tone with a lot of bottom but clear. A friend came over yesterday and we played till 1:00 in the morning. The cosmetics go well together also. Unfortunately I could not view your link Slider.
    Thanks john IMG_0321.JPG

uriah1, stevemc, Wally and 1 other person like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.