1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NOS RCA 6V6GT vs 6V6GTA

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Josey, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Josey

Josey Tele-Meister

Can someone who really knows tell me if there is actually a 2 watts difference of maximum plate dissipation between these two tubes? Speaking strictly RCA here. (Not GE, TungSol, etc...) Some say the GT is rated at 12 watts max and the GTA is rated at 14 watts max. However from what I can find online from the old RCA spec sheets, the only difference is the controlled warm-up time and all other parameters are the same. Am I correct?

2. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

craig paddock and King Fan like this.
  3. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

4. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

5. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

6. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

I had a similar discussion with Muchxs. The Sylvania 6v6gta was also a 14 watt tube. He put a set of those in my hot rodded Princeton Reverb clone.

7. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

In general I have not found a currently produced 6V6 that even comes close to the NOS 6V6 tubes in terms of durability. I don't know if the plate dissipation spec has anything to do with it and I am in no mood to analyze the spec sheets. I gave up electronic engineering years ago. There are a lot of subtle differences between tubes of the same type ... to be honest my ears aren't calibrated to be able to tell the difference between them. All I know is that the 6V6 tubes they make these days don't last long. It is kind of sad really. I carry spare amps these days because of tube amp worries ... In the 50's and 60's we didn't worry about it.
    The cars they make these days are more reliable than the ones they made 50 years ago.You would thing that tubes would be indestructible by now ... not so. The difference between 12W and 14W is in the eye of the beholder. I think that max plate voltage would be more important than 2W even thought they are somewhat related.
    I'm looking forward to the day when I can move back to solid state .... it probably won't be any time soon. Some of that is psychological resistance I think.

8. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Just the opposite from my experience if you use JJ's. The JJ 's hold up to today's voltages superbly. I have two 65's: BFDR and BFD right now. The BFDR had the output tranny killed years ago by NOS RCA Black plates. Since then I'm all JJ's. Both these amps run about 460V on the power tube plates. About 10 years ago I had 4 BFDR's, 64-67's. They all ran very high on the voltage.
    The EH 6V6's wouldn't last longer than 3 months gigging though... after two sets I went to the JJ's.

9. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

FWIW the JJ's do seem to hold up better ..... but I could still burn thru two sets or them in a year. I guess a lot depends of how hard you drive them.

10. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I haven't had to replace a JJ 6V6 yet. On one amp.... probably 6 years or more at about 50-70 gigs a year. But as I said, the EH's would only last 3 months! I wont use a JJ pre tube though. Nasty things. :>)

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.