1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NOS Caps in New Amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Haloskater24, Sep 17, 2020.

1. tubedude

tubedude TDPRI Member

Agreed. Please send me your NOS instruments, the new ones are better anyway.

BobbyZ likes this.
  2. Haloskater24

Haloskater24 Tele-Meister

3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Halo, I might not have a problem with NOS sealed film caps like those green CDs. As with the blue caps in a Fender, I don’t pull them from an old circuit unless they exhibit problems. Hey,people pay big money for the old Blue sealed caps like Fender used in the BF amps...even UOS. Paper in oil is another animal, imho and as I understand it.

Haloskater24 likes this.
  4. Haloskater24

Okay fair game, do you know a trusted source/shop that I can get the greenies from ?

5. Javier668

Javier668 Tele-Meister

Dont waste money modern ones are the same.
    Electricity is electricity.
    If you want a Demoatration put in your tone cap a cheap ceramic and a “nos”. No difference.
    When i buy vintage amps the most times the “nos” are dead or faulty.

Boreas and Haloskater24 like this.
  6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

no, I don’t. I have some blues..UOS...limited values since most of them are death caps. I have some .022mfds, and I might have a few .1mfds. I do pull the caps out of certain applications. I have some Sprague Bumblebees, even. Lol...at one time a Bumblebee would bring $150 or so. I had a young customer who was drinking from that ‘net well that held the opinion that a Bumblebee was the secret to those big money ‘bursts. I was replacing the pickups in his new ‘58 Authentic and had chased down some NOS Bumblebees. In the discussion with the fellow, who realized that I was someone other than a ‘net follower, he finally shared with me his experiences. He allowed as to how it did not matter what particular brand of cap he had used. If the values of various caps was comparable, all of the caps yields the same results.
    I have read about Howard Dumble buying caps at Radio Shack. I would think that he then took measures to assure himself that those caps measured to his chosen specs.

Haloskater24 likes this.
  7. Haloskater24

I too have drank from the net well, I’m just trying to have the best sounding most Reliable gear so I won’t have to constantly be chasing tone, set it and forget it. Right now I’m leaning more toward New Cornell-Dubilier Caps.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.