NOS 1974 Deluxe Reverb

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by JayFreddy, May 13, 2018.

1. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

I don't have the box.

This may or may not be a museum piece, but it's clean enough that everyone who sees it in person thinks it is.

The cover isn't original either. The current cover appears to be from an early 2000's Vibrolux. Probably acquired by the second owner.

Anyone have a mid 70s DR cover in good shape they'd be interested in selling!?

2. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Aside from being original.. the original cover is not a great cover.
    Studio Slips cover is far better, or a D2F cover. I have both and prefer Studio Slips.

JayFreddy likes this.
  3. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Without the cover or box it's just another used amp, although in immaculate condition. $2k absolute tops. I'd say closer to 1500.

4. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

I bought a Pro Reverb for $400 in almost as clean shape. The fuse holder had broken and it had sat unused for many years. I replaced the fuse holder and it works fine but I don't play it because I haven't got around to servicing it yet. It still has all the original caps like your DR. Maybe I should sell it to a collector...

20130703_215504.jpg
    20130703_215418.jpg
    20130703_234322.jpg
    20130703_223242.jpg

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  5. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

JayFreddy, congrats on the clean amp. However, I have to say that the final reveal of no box and a non-original cover supports a thought that the first post was ....fake news!! (;^) Quite a tease there. Now, my assessment is that everything about the amp has to be suspect because the 'first reveal' was not totally accurate! eeeeeehaw......
    Now, we have to ask.....have you seen the box???? LOL... What's the 'story' on that....was it sold for $225 so someone else could make their SFDR appear to be a NIB?NOS amp? OR....was the story about the box..again....'fake news'????
    Did the footswitch, manual and hang tags get thrown away...er...sold with the box???
    Just havin' fun.....and....With the answers to the footswitch and paperwork, we will finally have a total reveal.
    At any rate, '74 DR can be a really good amp. Enjoy.....

JayFreddy likes this.
  6. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Soooooo - what would be left of the DRRI ?

7. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Chassis, transformers possibly, knobs, faceplates, speaker if you can live with it, some small parts.

I see DRRI's for $600 sometimes. Can't get a chassis, faceplates, knobs, and a power transformer for that.

JayFreddy likes this.
  8. JayFreddy

I think y'all are just jealous!

I wanted a 70s SFDR for under a thousand bucks. Been looking for over a decade and nothing showed up.

I found a couple for $900, but they were all chewed up with issues.

Then in just the past month I found a 73 for $1200 and this 74 for $1400.

I was able to get the seller to agree to $1200 for the 74 before I drove out to see it, but I was really stunned at how clean it is. I agreed to buy it within minutes of plugging it in.

Despite no apparent issues, on day two of owning it I brought it to David Smith for new electrolytics. David was amazed at how clean it is too.

I already left him a message about moving forward with replacing the caps, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet.

One thing is for certain. This is a very sweet sounding amp. No matter where you put the knobs, it sounds good.

I recently came into a Carvin sx300 solid state 212 combo in mint condition as well. That amp actually has something of a following of its own, and it's a pretty nice platform for pedals...

But comparing that Carvin solid state to this DR, and it's easy to see why so many guitarists are still addicted to tube amps.

Wally and t guitar floyd like this.
  9. Wally

No jealousy here, Jay.....I am happy for you. IMho, that is a good price for such a clean vintage Fender SFDR. It is simply that the OP got everyone excited about a NIB/NOS amp...which you certainly did not say you had. But....one could draw some conclusions from this OP that are not accurate.....and that would be on the reader, not you.
    JayFreddy wrote:
    "Some of you may already know about my recent good fortune coming into a 1974 Deluxe Reverb that had remained unopened in its original box for 30 years, and spent the last 14 years covered in a climate controlled home studio.

I had my amp guru go over it and check the caps and tubes, and he says everything is virtually brand new and not to change anything.

All matched RCA tubes.

He said he was sure he was the first person to open up that amp since it left the factory in 1974."

It is obvious that with a careful read, the $4K that was mentioned by someone is not a possibility. then, we learn that the box is not there. Such a box has value of its own to a very small crowd.
    As for your tech being the only one to open the amp, I will guarantee you that I can pull a chassis without leaving a trace. I have done it many times....for very good reasons. I have seen two BF amps that look as clean and as original as yours from the outside but pulling the chassis on each amp revealed that there was not one original component on the board and the only pot that was original in each amp was the bias pot. IF I had not pulled those two chassi, he would not have not that he had overpaid by about $3K in total for the two amps...one of them being the second leanest..after a dead mint....AB763 Vibroverb.
    Now, a good tech can usually tell if any solder connections have been touched. Not seeing such tells of prior works does not guarantee that the amp has never been taken apart, imho.....and it matters not whether or not it has or has not been taken apart for whatever reason during its life as long as all of the components are original and the amp is working for you.
    So, in the end, we come to understand that you have a very clean '74 SFDR that you like a lot and got at a reasonable price. Congrats......

ExiledonMainSt and JayFreddy like this.
  10. JayFreddy

If this isn't going to be kept in a museum, is there any reason NOT to replace the electrolytics?

I understand that caps dry out, but I believe in the adage, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

As I said, I was prepared to have David do it, but he was the one who told me it was not needed.

Also, I understand the mystique of hiding new caps inside the paper and oil caps on a 50s amp, but is that overkill on a 74?

It might seem silly now, but in another 30 years, this amp (and others like it) might not even be legal because of the amount of juice it pulls out of the wall...

bparnell57 likes this.
  11. Wally

My take? I have never heard a Fender that old or older that did not yield much better sonics after being recapped. There are telltale audio clues that occur long before e-caps stop filtering AC hum.
    I also do not care to tear down old e-caps so as to reuse those cardboard tubes. I prefer to see the caps that are working in the circuit.
    I also hold that there is no loss of value in an amp like this when it is recapped....unless you later run cross someone who thinks that a vintage amp that has been made more safely functional and yields better sound is worth less as a reference piece or museum piece...or anything other than a usable amp that sounds as it should and did when it’s original electrolytics were fresh. The only Fender amp from 1979 on back that has gone through my hands that did not get recapped was a dead mint, as new AB763 Vibroverb...1x15”. The fellow who bought it had bought amps from me before, took my word on the condition, listened to the amp for about 15 seconds from about 10 feet while I played, asked how much...and was back with a stack of Benjamin’s in 10 minutes. He did his own tech work, so I left it to him to do as he pleased. I brokered the deal. That and the fact that he did his own work made my decision not to touch the amp an easy one.

JayFreddy likes this.
  12. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

My '72 is as clean.
    I recapped it and gig it when I need a grab-and-go.
    First person who sits a beer on it loses a finger.

JayFreddy, Mike Simpson and Wally like this.
  13. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Holic

whoa! that there is a thing of beauty!

congratulations!

JayFreddy likes this.
  14. ExiledonMainSt

ExiledonMainSt Tele-Meister

Beautiful amp, that thing is in great shape. My '79 was just as clean, though. They made a heck of a lot more of these than the blackface ones, so $4000 is fantasy land IMO. More like $1500 for an ultra-clean one. I'll echo the others and say you should have it recapped and then just play it. Life is short, who are you saving it for?

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    Greg_L, Mike Simpson and JayFreddy like this.
  15. InkStained

InkStained Tele-Meister

One of the hardest things you can do to an amp is not use it.

16. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Cool amp, I had a 74 and it was a great sounding Deluxe Reverb, not as clean as that one but close. And no way was it worth more than $1500 tops ... if that.

Even BF Deluxe Reverb amps which are much more desirable sell for around $2-3K unless they are super clean.

If you're going to keep it and use it get the filter and bias caps changed, and enjoy it!

JayFreddy likes this.
  17. LudwigvonBirk

LudwigvonBirk Tele-Holic

Besides the original logo and antique-y vintage brand value (which can be significant for some years), can anybody chime in on the sonic/performance characteristics of a mid 70's DR vs an as-spec'd Mojotone DR clone (built right, no mods)?

I like DRs in a bunch of ways but have to heretically confess...I have never played a great one (mid 70's +) that moved me to spend way-extra.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  18. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Just throwing this out there, My friend ran across a one owner 1965 DR , stock and in excellent one owner condition, a home piece not a gig amp. He is selling it for $2500 and so far no offers.

The 74 in this thread is very nice, but those ECAPS need to be changed, they have a life of 15 to 20 years MAX in a working environment, much less if not used. They are dried up.

They are the heart of the PS, why take a chance ?

Wheres the box it came in and was stored in, thats part of the big story of this amp. Did someone throw away the box it was stored in for 40 years ? The box goes with the amp.

JayFreddy likes this.
  19. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

That's really cool!

For me, it hurts my heart a little bit to even think about this amp sitting in a "museum" or some collector's man-cave.

Come on...this is not the first Marshall or SRV's Twin. This an original very nice like-new 70s Silverface DR. Collectors aren't beating each other up to get 70s Silverface amps, are they? Maybe I'm way off base. Maybe I don't understand the magic of the year 1974. But that amp was born to be played. Put some healthy caps in it and blast off on that thing.

JayFreddy likes this.
  20. JayFreddy

I asked Dave to order some modern caps that can be hidden inside the paper tubes of the original paper caps.

In the meanwhile I've been playing it in my teaching studio. It sounds great to me, sweeter than my 68 DRRI.

Now all I want is a Vibrolux and a black face Super.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.