1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Norway Spruce

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by otterhound, Oct 29, 2020.

1. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Yes , both are lighter in color than walnut . More of a tan , a honey colored tan .
    Have you ever looked at black locust under a black light ?

PhredE and crazydave911 like this.
  2. John_B

John_B Tele-Meister

Very Good Read!!! Thank you all.

I heard years ago that a lot of Martin dreadnaught's from the 1930's had spruce tops with wide rings and it is considered perfectly fine on these Holy Grail acoustics.

The point, I was told, was these tops were stiff enough. I would think tighter rings = better stiffness but what is the desired stiffness? I guess the tap test helps determine that.

I do love the look of a top with tight rings but the sound and ringing sustain dominates everything.

I envy Luthiers!

crazydave911 likes this.
  3. otterhound

There are 2 types of stiffness when it comes to tops and neither is directly related to rings per inch .
    There is stiffness along the grain and stiffness across the grain .
    Tapping should reveal the potential reflective/tonal properties of the wood .
    Tighter rings does not guarantee any degree of stiffness , although it typically does .
    Some luthiers look for tight growth that becomes wider and back down to tight again .
    The bottom line is that a good luthier will get the best of any wood and the others won't .
    Back in the 30's , the Red Spruce available was still fairly plentiful .
    There was a time when " Bear claw " was tossed aside for the dumpster because it was considered to be flawed . Today " Bear claw " is typically an up charge .
    Perception ...................

crazydave911 likes this.
  4. John_B

John_B Tele-Meister

Yes, I love Bear claw! Has the thickness of tops changed over the years? I have seen a few thick tops in my time.

crazydave911 likes this.
  5. otterhound

Martin's of the 70's are known for being somewhat overbuilt as well as some poorly placed bridges .
    Top thickness can vary greatly depending on materials and builder .
    Not everyone does it the same .
    Spruce tops typically fall into the .120-.100" range .
    I know a luthier that built an all walnut guitar and he told me that the top was .075" . Regardless , it sounded great .

6. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

Uh a black light? Nope can't say I have. The guy who wanted an Auditorium from me of black locust and German spruce top I thought was nuts, but you didn't say that then. I built it and charged what I thought a premium price. I stood open mouthed as he counted out CASH :eek:. The only reason I didn't get a swelled head over it was the 3 weeks I spent sharpening my chisels and planes and tossed two router bits ,burned beyond saving.
    Actually since I've never worked mulberry that sounds good. Don't need any black locust nightmares :lol:

Dave

photondev and PhredE like this.
  7. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

I loved the 0-17 all mahogany of Martin's old days. Damn good finger pickers

8. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Holic

Glad to hear of the Black Locust reference.

FYI.. It seems builders elsewhere are using Black Locust a lot more these days -- even in 'factory' guitars.
    Here's just two examples. One is made in China the other in Europe. It's used for many different pieces, including, but not limited to: back/sides, bridge and fingerboard (everything but tops essentially).
    (In the product descriptions, it is often referred to as 'acacia' by folks in Europe). The density, weight, hardness, etc. are all about +/- 25% (or less) of East Indian Rosewood. Excepting appearances, makes a pretty good substitute (and can grow just about anywhere as an advantage).
    I have one of these guitars in the links below.. BL works just fine, rosewood might be a historic convention, but it isn't essential by any means.

https://www.thomannmusic.com/la_mancha_citrino_s.htm

https://www.thomannmusic.com/thomann_classica_s.htm

crazydave911 likes this.
  9. otterhound

Black Locust has lots of silicates and that is what I am told is so hard on tools .

10. otterhound

My understanding of Black Locust is that for sides and backs , it needs to be dead on quartersawn and it still may crack down the line . Hey , that sounds like BRW .

11. JWH7

JWH7 Tele-Meister

12. otterhound

When I got there , the tree had been felled and all but the main trunk had been removed . A few cones were around though , just a few . This is a spruce , not a pine . Picea Abies . Wood is very white/pale .

crazydave911 likes this.
  13. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Oh nice, I love working with all 3 of those woods, they make the shop a delight to work in smell wise!

crazydave911 and John Nicholas like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.