Northern Hemisphere Peeps-Have you noticed…

Wheelhouse

Tele-Meister
I gotta admit, I did not notice that one extra minute. But there will be a couple more between now & Christmas.

Wheelhouse

Tele-Meister
I've heard that the sunset is later or the same but the sunrise is later. How the heck does that work?
Sunrise and sunset are both a wee bit later each day right now. The days start to get longer in total after the solstice (12/21), even though the sun continues to rise a bit later each day. The latest sunrise (in my location) is 7:29am, which will occur from 12/31-1/5, when the sun will start rising a bit earlier. Something about declination.

Way more detail than anybody wants to really know, I'm sure. :cool:

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Sunrise and sunset are both a wee bit later each day right now. The days start to get longer in total after the solstice (12/21), even though the sun continues to rise a bit later each day. The latest sunrise (in my location) is 7:29am, which will occur from 12/31-1/5, when the sun will start rising a bit earlier. Something about declination.

Way more detail than anybody wants to really know, I'm sure. :cool:

Yup.

Can't be. Not until the winter solstice. That's actual science.

Nope.

https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/equation-of-time.html

Winter solstice is the shortest day of the year in terms of daylight, but it does not have the latest sunrise nor the earliest sunset of the year.

This is because of a discrepancy between our modern-day timekeeping methods and how time is measured using the Sun known as the equation of time.​

dkmw

Poster Extraordinaire
I’ve about had it with short days. In a couple of weeks longer days will start to be noticeable. Always a time of joy for me.

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
For a few days the sun will both rise and set a bit later. The daylight hours will begin to lengthen on December 22. Southern Hemisphere peeps will see the sun rise and set a bit earlier before the daylight hours begin to shorten again. For those of us north of the equator, the sun will start coming north again after the solstice. Unfortunately the warmth won’t return so fast.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Not yet..... soon.....
21 December

In 2021 the winter solstice will occur on Tuesday 21 December. The winter solstice occurs in December, and in the northern hemisphere the date marks the 24-hour period with the fewest daylight hours of the year. That is why it is known as the shortest day of the year, or the longest night of the year.

Buckocaster51

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ad Free Member
Not yet..... soon.....
21 December

In 2021 the winter solstice will occur on Tuesday 21 December. The winter solstice occurs in December, and in the northern hemisphere the date marks the 24-hour period with the fewest daylight hours of the year. That is why it is known as the shortest day of the year, or the longest night of the year.

In my fair city on Tuesday of this week sunset was at 1630 CST. Today it was 1631.

Anyway you cut it, the sun set later today.

Granted the total amount of daylight is shorter on the solstice. Sunset is at 1633 CST on the 21st

WalthamMoosical

Tele-Afflicted
Ad Free Member
I thought that we had another five days before the days started to get longer. Are things different in the USofA?

You do; they're not.

I've heard that the sunset is later or the same but the sunrise is later. How the heck does that work?

I can explain it but I first I need some beer, a chalkboard in the shape of a sphere, and, oh, see that guy over there? I need his artificial leg. I learned something while getting my degree in astronomy and I happily share it.

Ok kidding about the beer and the leg, but a spherical chalkboard would be useful.

Can't be. Not until the winter solstice. That's actual science.

bwa ha ha ... oh wait, wrong thread