Northeast Ohio Amp From Craigslist

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by unixfish, May 6, 2021.

1. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/msg/d/akron-fender-custom-vibrolux-reverb/7313791912.html

No affiliation with the seller - I don't know who the seller is.

This seems inexpensive at $650, and looks clean. I did a quick lookup on the serial number, and it says it is a 1990 model, so it may also need a cap job. Speakers don't look original.

I am mildly tempted if the maintenance was already done, but not tempted enough to contact the seller to find out.

I played a new CVR a few years ago and liked it; are these older ones different?

2. unixfish

If any of you buy this, please let me know and let me come over to oggle. :D

3. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Just contact the dude to see what’s up. Cap jobs are cheap you would be money ahead even after maintenance.

4. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Holic

Looking in the back by the power tubes it seems to be a newer one with those little cages that keep fingers from the hot tubes and wouldn’t that still be a 6L6 amp not 6v6 as listed.
    I know they are lower power but that’s because of the smaller output tranny. It does look to have the Higher priced alNico speakers, But in that design with the lower power, they might start washing out? The Vibrolux is a very great sounding circuit I have liked it with CTS ceramic magnet and Jensen‘s. I’m not sure about two alNico Jensens, But seeing as how people ask stupid money for those speakers you could probably sell them if you didn’t like them and get ones more suited to the amp. Out working and Vibroluxe can pair up very well with a pro!

5. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Holic

I just looked at that again and I saw the white knobs on the front I’m almost positive I recognize that as an amp that I took out gigging from our old store. You may want to look up and see if it’s listed as being custom designed by Some amp dude. If so that’s what I played and it was a knockout little amp I remember it had some different stuff going on in the schematic. I got compliments from a vintage fender amp collector that I play with and who is very outspoken guy, and he was pretty knocked out by it too. I wouldn’t even think it would need caps now. I’m just getting ready to do the caps on my 69 fender and it still plays quietly. I would find out exactly what that is. You might be looking at a real nice sleeper

6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

The serial number does not contain the date code. The CVR was introduced in 1995. Somewhere there should be a small black and white label about 1” tall and 2” wide. The two letter code there will be the date code. Clean amp.

Telekarster likes this.
  7. unixfish

I convinced myself I do not want this amp. It is still listed. I just want it to go away so I don't need to worry about temptation. I almost - almost - responded to the ad a few weeks ago. The non-original speakers and mistakes in the listing scared me off.

Maybe if it is still listed in a week or two I could throw a lowball offer out there...

8. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

You ABSOLUTELY KNOW the only sure fire way to make it "Go Away" :p Just go ahead and rip off that band aid! :eek: You know yer gonna! :rolleyes:
    Just Enablin'
    Gene

unixfish likes this.
  9. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

I'd be all over this myself but if I bring another amp home, my wife is gonna probably smash my big toe with it! LOL!! I think it's a pretty darn good deal with those alnico's in it, and it's clean, but I'm out. Resist resist resist! :)

unixfish likes this.
  10. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

unixfish likes this.
  11. Wally

Yes, this amp could be 26 years old, or it could be only 8 years old. That letter date code I explained makes a difference, and IF you know that detail and the seller does not you are ahead in the game if you want to have the advantage of what you are discussing, right? Perhaps one might wonder when a cap job is due. If it sounds good and doesn’t crackle when you slap it upside the cab, it is worth making an offer. That is not a bad asking price unless it has problems.
    I like these amps after establishing a negative feedback loop with an adjustment and modifying the left channel for a different response than is found in the right channel. It is also easy to install a bias adjustment pot on the back panel,as there is a hole in the chassis underneath that backplate.
    It is after all is said and done a 6G16 Vibroverb that has been modified...and only one of the mods makes sense to me. That would be the reverb application to the right channel this adds the third gain stage to that channel. The lack of a NFB loop is what makes the amp noisy. With an adjustable NFB loop one can get to that rich signal while avoiding the extremity of noise that is present when there is no NFB at all.

unixfish likes this.
  12. Wally

I would but the amp without those modern Jensen’s if I could get it at the right price. There are much better speakers. I don’t understand why Fender uses those Jensen’s other than for the logo. ????? Then, the seller could sell those speakers for decent money s8nce some people like them.
    Fwiw, here is a 1995 CVR with the stock Eminence Alnicos, which I much prefer over the Jensen’s. You can also see that two letter date code on the small label...’FJ’...October, 1995...F = 1995, J = October.
    https://reverb.com/item/13970453-1995-fender-custom-vibrolux-reverb

unixfish likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.