1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Normal wound but less bright (Bridge)

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by markesquire, Mar 6, 2009.

1. markesquire

markesquire Tele-Afflicted

I want a normal-strength bridge pickup that's not super mid-boomy and inarticulate, but I want to mellow the excessive brightness that I've found in nearly every bridge pickups I've played.

What's the secret? Is it possible? Different kinds of alnico? (I've only played Alnico 5)

2. RockinCarl

RockinCarl Tele-Afflicted

I'd try an Alnico 2 or 3 pickup. Alnico 2 would be the least bright.

3. JKjr

JKjr Tele-Holic

Judging from your post you have no trouble articulating your thoughts. I believe this situation requires a phone call to a well respected pickup winder. Spend a bit more up front and save money by getting what you want the first time. Sounds to me like you've just described all of Jason Lollar's pickups, that mellow top end seems to be his trademark. He, Lindy Fralin, and others are quite good at what they do. I never tell the chef how to make my meal, I tell him what I want to eat and pay him for his expertise. I have found this to work better than shouting instructions over the counter at Denny's.

4. Brian blaut

Brian blaut Friend of Leo's

Myself, I'm interested in Duncan's Five two, which is supposed to smooth out the highs while not screwing with the bite of the lows. It uses a5 magnets in the low 3 and a2 in the high three. Some people like it, some don't. But it fits the bill, on paper anyways.

-but not to take away form the custom wind suggestion. I'm sure that would work out great.

5. Stan Martin

Stan Martin Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

something with an A2 magnet

should do it.

6. hwestman

hwestman Tele-Holic

The SD Alnico 2 is sweet and articulate at the same time. It demands fresh strings though (otherwise the wound strings will sound really farty...). Overall a very likeable pickup... more so that the five-two (IMHO that is...)

7. markesquire

markesquire Tele-Afflicted

Thanks guys. The only A2 pickup that I know of is the Lollar 52. I've heard that these are excellent pickups. How would they differ from the A3 in the Stuart Blackguards? I have no idea how the magnets differ and how it affects the sound.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.