Nooby picking pedals

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by markal, Apr 10, 2016.

1. markal

markal Tele-Holic

Hi all. I'd like to get a OD pedal or two but I am overwhelmed by the choices and being relatively new to all this (been playing electric seriously for just over a year), I'm not completely sure what I like. I currently play thru a Fender Mustang I. I often use clean tones and just a bit of drive (my current favorite being the twin reverb model with a bit more gain). But I have a Peavey Bandit 112 Red Stripe on the way because I'm starting to play in some blues jams.

I don't typically like a lot of distortion - I tend to like BB King and Robben Ford type tones, kind "vintage" I guess. But I'll need some more gain because of the jams.

I've listened to reviews of the Soul Food (like it), Boss BD-3 (ok), Tubescreamers (eh), Joyo Vintage Drive (sounds pretty good), Deusenberg White Drive (liked it...too expensive), Fulltone OCD (ok), EHX BAd Monkey and others.

Where do you all recommend people start? I do have good shops nearby but short demos don't always help. And I don't want to spend a ton.

Thanks.

2. Zachevans3

Zachevans3 Tele-Meister

Tubescreamer to me is classic low gain blues tone, I have a tubescreamer clone that I like a lot personally. Joyo vintage overdrive

3. Flash1909

Flash1909 Tele-Meister

I love my Boss BD-3, pick up a used one off ebay

4. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

I apologize for being blunt, but a Mustang is not the platform to start a serious search for pedals.

You're obviously inexperienced and just starting out. I suggest you continue practicing and focus on upgrading your amp in good time, rather than pedals.

Wyzsard likes this.
  5. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

You are about to experience an avalanche of people suggesting thier favorite pedals. You didn't mention what guitar you are using. What ever you do, do not base your choice off of a demo of someone playing a pedal solo. Listen to how they fit in a mix. The venerable Tubescreamer sounds very midrangy at low volume in your room (trying not to wake the baby). Take that same pedal to a club with another guitar player, a bass player who wont turn down and a drummer that likes to play with axe handles and a some dude who want to sit in because he thinks he can play harmonica....and it still wont help because all these guys suck..

...not sure where I was going with that... Point is, you need to pick a OD with context in mind. They become different animals in a live situation. Its the hardest part of picking an OD that will fit you. Dont rule out a tube screamer until you try one live... It worked for SRV.

6. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's

you need a overdrive to play BB king and Robben Ford?

why not try some low cost pedals first until you get a feel for what you really like? $10-30

7. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

The Mustang is a modelling amp. An OD pedal is really just a method of turning the gain up on the fly when playing live rather than diving for the gain knob. If you want an over-driven sound from an amp the best method is simply to crank the gain up, let the amp do it. To stop it overdriving everything you wind the guitar vol down.
    I set up with the guitar vol knob at '5' to I can crank up or drop as required. It's what that knob is for.

One very over-looked pedal that can change the sound on the fly, and overdrive the amp, is a graphic-EQ rather than an OD pedal, it can also be used to drop the volume, not to mention rather extreme tone shaping.

Collecting pedals can be a bit of a disease. First one to get is a decent tuner, common purpose is to shut the amp up between numbers.

BB.King = no pedals at all ;)

If you don't know what FX you like despite having a modelling amp (Vox modelling amps and Korg MFX are practically the same thing) get a MFX unit with everything on it. They're not as good as individual FX but you can find what you like best. They tend to be too complicated and get dumped so look for a used one going cheap.

8. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

EHX soul food is a good one, the DOD 250 is another that routinely goes on sale. Tube screamers such as Boss SD1, Joyo, Ehx East River are also a good bet. All good options that sound great for low outlay. Don't worry about it too much into the search until you get a feel for your new amp.

9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I can see your enthusiasm to try some pedals. My Step daughter just got her first couple of pedals and it's a good learning experience. You are in luck. There are some very inexpensive clones of very famous pedals, so I suggest start there, but first, watch this YT vid for some education before diving in:

10. markal

markal Tele-Holic

Did you even read my original post?!? I have a new amp on the way and I'll decide if I'm ready to start playing with some effects pedals, thanks.

11. markal

markal Tele-Holic

Thanks all for the input. Sounds like I should pick a couple that aren't too expensive and start experimenting.

Obsessed - thanks for the vid. I'll watch it later this evening.

12. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

I have a Soul Food and a Rat Just for two diff Dist at the tap of a pedal. But seriously, the one that is most useful is the Rat. I went for years without one because "I don't play hair metal". But boy was I surprised at the huge variety of tones in the thing from a nice slightly overdriven crunch to full on fuzzy mayhem. It's one pedal I take everywhere.

telepunx likes this.
  13. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

No of course I didn't read your post, I just assume everyone in here plays a Mustang. ;).

My advice still stands, I think a person just starting out should get to know a new amp before jumping into the world of pedals.

14. HotDan!

HotDan! Friend of Leo's

Awright...Be good boys. Markal says he's been playing for a year or thereabouts so why say he's not ready for pedals? Lets not be judgmental. Could be that he's a heavy practice guy and perhaps is ready to try new sounds as he learns and why not learn what pedals can do for your sound?

Good inexpensive startup stuff might be in the realm of Danelectro or Rogue or some of the Chinese knockoffs which are really pretty good initially but suspect in longevity. I think I'd look in that direction before I'd put out big cash for stuff you may not like...

15. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Of the ones you mentioned I have the soul food and the joyo vintage overdrive (which is said to be a clone of the tube screamer) - they sound a lot alike into tube amps, I just happened to try them in front of my old sessionette solid state amp and it turned out the soul food sounded better into that – less fizzy if that makes sense. So that may be a good choice for the peavy bandit (btw, doesn't the bandit has a decent drive channel?). The soul food is also a bit more dynamic than the vintage overdrive. I also have an old rat since the 90s and just for the fun of it I tried to emulate the other pedals with it and was surprised how good it performs in the overdrive field (with distortion set low and the filter quiet high) – and it can do much more and sounds good into each of my amps.
    BB King AFAIK didn't use pedals he just cranked the amp. Robben Ford's sound changed over the years from lots of overdrive (typically from the dumble amp) to pretty clean recently. He uses a dirt pedals only when using backline amps. I think a tube screamer (clone) or soul food can emulate that sound pretty good - maybe not the dynamics of a good tube amp but the typical midrange hump and drive.
    I'll have to add I'm not an expert when it comes to pedals, I fool around with them at home while most of the time I plug straight in when playing live (our style does not require a lot of distortion). Only recently I try some more dirt on stage. Last gig I used the Joyo Vintage Overdrive into a backline twin and was very satisfied with the tone.
    Have fun.

16. srinivassa

srinivassa Tele-Meister

I tend to agree that the Mustang is not the amp for pedals. The Bandit will be a lot better! I would recommend a Boss BD-2. It has a great sound and works a little better into a SS amp. Tube Screamer to me is more apt at pushing a tube amp than solid state. A lot of OD pedals are going to be that way. You'll have to take a lot of pedal opinions with a grain of salt because a lot of people are pushing tubes with them. BD-2 is one I use that has its own sound and doesn't rely as much on the tubes. (It still does sound better through a tube amp though.)

17. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

You make good points Dan. If I didn't care about the guy's progress as a guitarist I wouldn't have responded to the thread and so it's not like I'm Mr. Negative on the guy.

I'm definitely old school in that I played a Tele and Fender Bassman exclusively without pedals for many years. As a matter of fact I probably played for twenty years without pedals other than a wah. But the downside is that I played dimed amps which is not good for long term hearing health. So yeah OP, for the sake of your ears, knock yourself out on buying pedals. Seriously.

18. markal

markal Tele-Holic

I've been playing on an off since I was a kid. I started playing acoustic seriously about 3.5 years ago and electric seriously about a year ago. So I'm not expert, but not a beginner either (I'm keeping up pretty well at blues jams). But I am totally new to pedals.

I decided to buy the Bandit instead of a tubes for now, much cheaper way to experiment and see what I like. The only amp I've tried that really blew me away was a DRRI and I'm not ready to spend that kind of cash.

But your advice to get to know the new amp before buying pedals makes some sense to me. But I'm researching now anyway because...well, it's fun.

Tele1966 likes this.
  19. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

I didn't mean to be rude to you. Dan was right, I don't know you, I certainty would never think to judge your playing or imply I knew what was best for your playing.

If you're interested in pedals you can go to a local Guitar Center, tell the manager you'd like to inconvenience the store for one day, and buy all the used dirt pedals they have. Take the pedals home with the thought of returning all but one the next day. I've done this a few times and you have to be upfront with the Guitar Center crew to catch the vibe if they approve of what you're doing.

20. sclitheroe

sclitheroe Tele-Meister Ad Free + Supporter

Sounds easy enough to me - these are cheap. Buy one. See how it goes with your amp, what you like about it and what you don't, and how you need to EQ your solid state amp to work best with the pedal.

Broadly speaking, my experience of using overdrive pedals with solid state amps is they need to sound good set up for unity volume (guitar has same volume with the pedal off, as with the pedal on, not louder when the pedal is engaged) - pushing a transistor amp in any fashion at the input doesn't sound good. So pay attention in the demos you are watching to scenarios where they have the volume on the OD pedal down, and the drive up - the ones that sound good to you used in that configuration are going to sound OK with your amp.

Another thing you could look into is this:
    http://proguitarshop.com/demo-it-live#?category=9

These are "dry" audio samples of various pedals - no amp involved.

I'm actually shocked more people don't talk about this, or build on what PGS has done here and provide their own dry samples.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.