Noob Reverse Polarity/Reverse Wound questions

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Neener, Jan 13, 2020.

1. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Holic

2. Neener

Neener Tele-Meister

:lol:

I saw one from early 80s and a couple from 70s. But I don’t know bleep about pickup wires!

3. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Holic

It looks like from 78-82 they used the shielded/braided wire (a few other surprised people in old threads!) and then some MIJ’s in late 80s early 90s used similar wire. I could find no OTHER evidence of 90s MIA pickups factory with that wire....hmmmm. The thlot pickens!

(edit emphasized)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Neener

Neener Tele-Meister

So I may be in love with a MIJ pick up, wouldn't be the first time I guess...I wish there was a way to pin point it. Thanks for looking into that.

5. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

I've only done this once so maybe it doesn't work in all cases - but on a typical tele neck pickup the connection between the case and the negative wire is easily accessible from the outside. So it's not a big deal to break that connection and install a third wire. Then you have "signal positive" and "signal negative" - which can be switched - and a separate wire for ground.

jfgesquire and Neener like this.
  6. Neener

Neener Tele-Meister

Here’s another. (Maybe I should start a new thread?)

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/114028244963

7. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Holic

That is true, and that's also the trick for a 4 way switch, so any other Partscaster I could have done that to.

But I didn't want to alter the Vintage Reissue '62 pickup, nor have extra wires. This guitar is an all Rosewood copy. I went all in with the look, inside and out.

Flipping the poles is actually very easy and is reversible without any evidence.

[​IMG]

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

8. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Fender initially made all pickups with the same magnet and wind. Keep in mind, it was quite late before the Strat got a 5-way, with the combo positions, and the Tele began life with the three-way switch offering bridge, neck/tone, and neck w/pre-set bassy cap. Still no combo position.

I think it was around '85 when they began making RWRP pairs. Tele neck pickup, and Strat middle pickups were the ones modified.

There's no such thing as a hum-cancelling single coil pickup. The thing that cancels the hum is the interaction with another coil, whether it's part of a humbucker, another single coil in a combination (parallel or series) setting, or a dummy coil of some kind ('noiseless' single coils...).

If you have a pair of identically constructed single coils, you can't make a RWRP pair by just swapping the leads of one pickup. They'll be RW, same-Polarity. The pair will be hum-cancelling, but unfortunately it will be out of phase.

Hum and Phase 101
    Hum is caused by the winding of a coil acting as an antenna, and picking up RFI out of the ether. The only factor is the winding - a coil with no magnet will still hum.

Two coils in proximity, wound opposite to each other, will each still pick up RFI, but the hum will be almost non-existent, due to the phase cancellation of the opposing signals. Think of the two hums as a pair of sine waves on a 'scope. As one rises, the other falls. They cancel each other out, mostly.

Reverse-wound can be achieved by simply swapping the leads of one pickup.

This reverse-wind is the ONLY condition necessary for hum-cancellation in a pair of coils.

Phase is a combination of wind direction, and magnet orientation. Magnets are usually referred to as 'south up' or 'north up'. 'Up' meaning on the side facing the strings. North will repel the north needle of a compass, and south will attract it.

A pair are in phase when either of these conditions are true: opposite wind and opposite magnets... OR same wind and same magnets.

So... changing wind direction changes both hum-cancelling and phase. And changing magnet orientation only changes phase.

If you want to change phase only, flip the magnet (sometimes easier said than done, and never possible on-the-fly).
    If you want to change both hum property, and phase, change the wind direction (swap leads of one pickup).
    If you want to change just the hum property, you need to do both. Flip the magnet (which changes phase), and change the wind (which changes phase back, and changes the hum property).

There are four permutations:

In-phase, hum-cancelling: opposing magnets, and opposite wind. RWRP. Either pickup can be either orientation, as long as they're opposite.

In-phase, noisy: same magnets, same wind.

OOP, hum-cancelling: same magnets, opposite wind.

OOP, noisy: opposing magnets, same wind.

Depending on the circuit, it may be possible, especially in the case of 4-wire humbuckers, to simulate flipping the magnet in real time, by using the other coil in a humbucker pair, because all humbuckers are internally constructed RWRP. If they weren't, they wouldn't live up to their name...

Sorry for the long post, hope this clears a few things up.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    Neener likes this.
  9. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Holic

Neener likes this.
  10. Neener

Neener Tele-Meister

Cool man thank you for the master class :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.