1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Noob questions on GFS installation

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by dukewellington, Mar 8, 2021.

1. dukewellington

dukewellington TDPRI Member

Long time lurker, first time poster. I looked around at the old GFS threads and got a bit more confused than when I began. I might need some help, my first time installing pickups in a partscaster.

I have a GFS Lil Puncher mini neck pickup with four conductors -- red, white, black, and bare. I'm trying to install it along with a single coil in the bridge - 2 conductor, black and white. Each pickup has its own volume control, there is a 500k no load tone pot, and a 3-way switch. I want the middle position to activate both at the same time.

I thought the J Bass wiring scheme looked like what I wanted to do, but I'm unsure if I wire a humbucker in the neck, if this will still work? GFS didnt send me any paperwork with the pickup, just the unit wrapped in bubble wrap. Has anyone done this, or familiar with GFS wire coding? Any help or input appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

I probably threw away my L’il Puncher diagram, but I’ll look. Probably someone else will answer the question before I find it (if I find it). Oh, and welcome aboard!

3. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

just been through it with a gfs tele blade bridge,,

join red and white and tape off... black to ground , green to hot/switch... braid bare wire to ground..

you could swap black/green for a different phase depending on the other pu....

google gfs HB wiring codes, plenty of images there to look through..:)

good luck :)

nojazzhere and LutherBurger like this.
  4. dukewellington

Thanks! My concerns are where to solder which humbucker lead to get the phase right for that middle position, and avoid a weird quack and having to resolder. A J-Bass has pickup has two leads so it's pretty straight forward but I'm tripped up not knowing which is which on the GFS neck pup.

5. dukewellington

There's a green lead on the pickup, I can see the wire, but it is absent in the quick connect module they attached (I specifically asked for this to be omitted but they sent it anyway). So I have 4 leads in the neck, colored red, white, bare, and black. Any ideas? I looked at a dozen or so diagrams and at least as many threads for GFS pickups, and there are conflicting reports for whether or not the photos are correct.

FWIW the bridge pickup is an overwound Broadcaster approximation, also from GFS.

6. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

maybe the green/bare are attached making black the hot lead....

7. dukewellington

I guess I could try that tomorrow morning with clip leads.

trev333 likes this.
  8. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

The minihum/single coil- individual volume control set up is killer sounding. My partscaster has it, and I LOVE the sound in the middle position especially. I had originally put a Tele neck pickup in it, and when I installed the minihum with four leads, it was trial and error to get the pairings right. Matching color to matching color is obvious, the experimentation comes in when matching the other leads to them. Unfortunately, I can't remember which went to which- sorry! 20200611_170819.jpg

dukewellington likes this.
  9. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

It's unusual for GFS not to include a diagram. You can get the info on their site.

10. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

Having given it a (very) little thought, I would posit that the coils are already joined and that is why there is one less lead behind the Kwik Plug than in front of it. Not sure where that leaves you, and I am not sure how to proceed, except to test it with a multitester.

dukewellington likes this.
  11. dukewellington

That's where I'm at, about to finish my coffee and just have at it with the testing. But first.... coffee...

I couldn't find what I was looking for in the GFS site, either (although they have one .pdf that my tablet refuses to download). From what I've gathered around the web, their configuration is supposedly reversed from Duncan while using the same coloring, but sometimes that isn't the case and users have reported different results even with this same pickup. It wouldn't surprise me if GFS pickups arrived to them out of spec.

12. dukewellington

Really wish I had some time to spend with this guitar project. Got sidetracked last week by life and haven't touched it since. I appreciate the conversation and input from the thread. I'll be sure to post photos or demo video when it's up and running.

Found this today. Think I've got it sorted. I'll just tape off the white lead and forgo a coil tap. Of course, the whole thing will be going into a standard 3-way switch for a tele.

Attached Files:

littlebadboy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.