1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Noob question about finishing- types, brands, etc

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by virge0110, Jan 25, 2021.

1. virge0110

virge0110 Tele-Meister

Hello,

I am currently looking at finishing a body with spray cans. I have had a really bad experience with Nitro in the past with a Gibson that I owned, so I am looking at what other options I had. I looked really around for a dark British Racing Green and found a few Dupli Color Perfect Match ones that were close, but I also came across a Krylon Acryli-Quik Hunter Green acrylic lacquer.

I guess my first question is, is the Acryli-Quick true acrylic lacquer. I don't want to end up using something that is actually an enamel on my guitar.

My second question is, what should I use for clear coat. I had a nightmare experience of ruining a nitro finish so I am going to avoid that.
    I have also read some things about the Duplicolor Perfect Match clear either taking forever to harder or just not hardening at all.
    I was wondering if anyone knows about this one? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DKNSE6/?tag=tdpri-20

Or should I be looking at Polyurethane clear coats like the spray cans like Minwax or something?

Thanks for any advice!

2. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

I've done a few using DupliColor (Ice Blue Metallic, Shoreline Gold). All of them came out great. I used Mohawk clear lacquer, which was easy to use, came out well, and inexpensive. No problems with drying or curing.

I've never used the Krylon acrylic, but if I wanted a color that was available in that line, I wouldn't think twice about using it (after doing a sample board first).

virge0110 likes this.
  3. virge0110

virge0110 Tele-Meister

Thanks for the reply!
    I’m pretty set on the Krylon and I hope it is actually acrylic lacquer.
    I’ve been looking at the Mohawk brand stuff, specifically their catalyze clear and their ultra-flo.
    But I’ve also been looking at polyurethane clears because I don’t want some crazy chemical reaction happening on my guitar.

Still not sure what I should get. I know polyurethane will also take longer to dry so I’m open to using something else if anyone has any suggestions?

4. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

If I have to use a rattle can, I use Spraymax Glamour Clear 2K automotive urethane.
    I'm not sure if it's compatible with your choice of color, though.
    I've even sprayed it over nitro and had good results.

virge0110 likes this.
  5. virge0110

virge0110 Tele-Meister

Thanks for the advice. I see that there is a clear coat version of the Krylon Acryli-quik so it might make the most sense to just go with that.

6. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

If you use this stuff, make sure you use the proper respirator. No joke.

bullfrogblues and virge0110 like this.
  7. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

I can't help much with your specifics but I think I can still help out a bit.

In general, the best way I know how to find out what something is really made of is by looking up its material safety data sheet (MSDS). Manufacturers are required to publish them for their products. You won't get a recipe to make your own, but they often give you answers on what's really inside to cut through the marketing BS and misleading labels. If it's nitro lacquer or acrylic lacquer or a blend or whatever, you'll find your answers there.

Good luck!

virge0110 likes this.
  8. virge0110

virge0110 Tele-Meister

That is very helpful. Can you tell me what I should be looking for?

thanks!

Sconnie likes this.
  9. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

What was your bad experience? In my humble opinion rattle cans of instrument lacquer are about the easiest form of spray finish to put on a guitar. It has the big advantages of drying fast and letting you sand out mistakes until you get the finish you want, plus buffing easily. I have no experience with the Krylon but I did finish several early guitars with SM lacquer and I'm very satisfied (I have moved to a compressor and gun but I still shoot lacquer).

The other advise is simply what I tell any one who asks any question about any finish - practice with YOUR finish on scraps of YOUR wood in the same sequence that you intend to finish your guitar. When you have it nailed, move to the real thing.

virge0110 likes this.
  10. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

(edit: I'm going off your comment in the OP that you weren't quite sure if something really was lacquer etc. The answer to your question will vary on what product you're looking for, some are easier than others, and "what is lacquer" is a moving target as far as I remember.)

https://www.krylon.com/document/SDS/en/US/075577000661

The nomenclature has switched to just Safety Data Sheet somewhat recently, anyway...

If you scroll down to composition, you'll see everything inside in rough proportion. On this one you'll see plenty of solvents, a bunch of organic chemistry terms that basically mean petroleum solvent, but I would just google them one by one. You will also notice that one ingredient is some type of "cellulose" and therefore bingo!

That will lead you to that product here: https://www.eastman.com/Pages/ProductHome.aspx?product=71001227

It seems to me that it's some type of polyester, and my knowledge of organic chemistry abruptly ends. Is acrylic the same thing as polyester? I dunno. Someone more educated in O chem might be able to help, or yet more googling, but that's my process for trying to figure out what is really inside proprietary formulas.

I hope that was helpful, and gives you another tool for investigating products like this! They can hide the exact recipe from us (no big deal), but it would be illegal to hide the contents entirely!

virge0110 likes this.
  11. virge0110

virge0110 Tele-Meister

Sure, my experience was not with painting. It was with the finish going orange peel after coming into contact with something. I assume it was deet but I’m not 100% sure. It was a nightmare.

12. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

Lacquer is somewhat delicate compared to other finishes and may not be the best for an electric guitar, particular one that sees hard use. I personally don't do any of the catalyzed modern finishes but a friend who paints motorcycles and guitars uses two part auto finishes. As I said, I don't know anything about your Krylon.

virge0110 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.