Non-Trem AB763 Layout for PR Chassis

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Phrygian77, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Afflicted

This is my work-in-progress layout for a non-tremolo AB763 circuit in a Princeton Reverb chassis. So far, I haven't been able to find anything like this, so I decided to make my own.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  2. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

So you're going to keep the reverb?

3. Phrygian77

Yes. I just want to give up the tremolo for a long tail pair. Did I imply something else in another post?

I just realized that posting a PNG was a bad idea. I can pretty much convert it to any format, including SVG. Is there anything I can attach here that would look better, or do I need to link to another site.

4. Phrygian77

I changed the attached file to PDF.

5. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

Looks pretty good. Just throwing it out there, a lot of folks love the spring reverb and is sometimes the reason for building an amp in the first place, but....an FX loop is a lot easier, and you can plug anything you want into it. Just sayin'.

6. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

are you using a multi-section cap can?
    which transformers are you planning to use?

and have you checked that the 3 resistors shown on the left edge of the board will actually fit in that space?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  7. Phrygian77

The JJ 40-20-20-20 can cap is cheap and it fits the Mojo/Zachmdhunter chassis, so that's what I'm planning to use. Basically, my build will be a single channel Vibrolux (ironically) without the tremolo. I'm going to extended the PT cutout in the chassis, and use a Tremolux/Vibrolux transformer (ClassicTone 40-18041). I'm going to put a 90ma choke where the PR OT normally mounts. The OT will either be a Bassman or Vibrolux/Tremolux/Pro type mounted on the preamp side of the chassis. My control layout will be Volume, Treble, Middle, Bass, Dwell, and Mix.

I won't be using the 1K in my build since I'm using a choke. The drawing is to scale and the components are sized based on components that I would use. Those dropping resistors, for example, were based on Vishay PR03 & PR02 metal films (the others are 10mm x 3.5mm). Considering that I wanted to created a layout that anyone could use, I guess that could be an issue.

8. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe not an issue, I've done that too. You can leave the eyelets in-line, but stagger the resistor bodies left-right-left, if you get what I mean.

9. jhundt

it's a very interesting build. I have a much-modified Princeton Reverb II that I built with the same inspiration - the single-channel Vibrolux. The original PRII had too many unnecessary gimmicks for me.

are you not concerned about the location of the output transformer? I thought that the OT should be kept away from lower level signal leads... but then I have never tried it on that side so I don't really know.

Phrygian77 likes this.
  10. jhundt

oh, by the way - my PRII has a Presence control similar to the design used on a 5f6a. It adds some really nice sparkle.

Nickfl likes this.
  11. Phrygian77

I started a thread a while back about modifing the PRII to give it more of a blaceface voice. You and I had a fairly lengthy conversation about it. I love my modded PRII. It's my main gigging amp. I also have a Rivera Super Champ, mostly unmodified, that I gigged with for years. I retired it from gigging though after I aquired the PRII. The SC is full of NOS tubes, including a RCA 6C10.

I always thought that was a no no also, but it's been done before. I was inspired by this video.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  12. jhundt

oh yeah, I remember... I just looked back at that thread.

pretty cool video here, I see he runs all the wires outside of the chassis to avoid the problems.

13. Diverted

Diverted Tele-Meister

Phrygian77, how did the build work out? I have also been wanting to build a single channel AB763 with reverb but no tremolo. I saw Rob Robinette's Blackvibe, which is close but still has two channels. Before I start this I want to be aware of any pitfalls or issues, so I'm very interested in your build! Do you have an updated schematic and/or layout?

Thanks,

Ted

14. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

The Blackvibe is a single channel amp with two inputs, a high and a low. I do have a layout at the bottom of the Blackvibe page of an AB763 with the tremolo deleted. I had several people request it.

[​IMG]

Paul-T likes this.
  15. Diverted

Diverted Tele-Meister

Your layouts are so clear and easy to read. Thanks for posting them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.