Non Traditional Practice Places.

Masmus

Tele-Holic
In my band days in the eighties I rented an airplane hanger at a local airport to practice. We had 24/7 access and could play as loud as we wanted, even had refuelers and tower personnel swing by on breaks or after their shift just to listen. The best part was the police laughing if anyone complained about the noise at the airport.

viking

Friend of Leo's
I have practised in a million places , and some of them really weird. Im sure there are lots of stories out there `:

A garden shed , out in the river valley. So moist that the frets turned green if you left the guitar there for a week. Monthly floodings , awwww......bad-bad-bad.

An abandoned house , with rats and all.

The attic of the regional IBM center , gave a " few " problems , when someone worked late...

The upstairs of the National Guard center in town. BIG room , open to the roof insulation . The only place I have ever had a 100w amp all the way up , and still couldnt hear myself too good...

Off course there were also countless practises in private houses , living rooms even , cops knocking at the door many times....

BUT , what a difference these days , ( actually about 20 years ) Most cities here have a public concert center . Very often , practise rooms are also available. In my town ( just shy of 100000 people ) , there are 12 totally sound insulated room available.

2 of them can only be booked week to week , these are fully eqipped , Peavey amps , 2 MIM Strats , P bass , and a Sonor drum kit , and a Dynacord power mixer for vocals.

10 of the rooms are equipped with the power mixer , and speakers .

These rooms can be used at least once a week , or whatever you agree with the other 4-6 users of the room.
Card readers on all doors , the rooms can be used 24/7
Cost for adults about 30 $/months , less than half of that for youngsters.

I just love to pay tax in this country !!

drewg

Tele-Holic
I have practised in a million places , and some of them really weird. Im sure there are lots of stories out there `:

A garden shed , out in the river valley. So moist that the frets turned green if you left the guitar there for a week. Monthly floodings , awwww......bad-bad-bad.

An abandoned house , with rats and all.

The attic of the regional IBM center , gave a " few " problems , when someone worked late...

The upstairs of the National Guard center in town. BIG room , open to the roof insulation . The only place I have ever had a 100w amp all the way up , and still couldnt hear myself too good...

Off course there were also countless practises in private houses , living rooms even , cops knocking at the door many times....

BUT , what a difference these days , ( actually about 20 years ) Most cities here have a public concert center . Very often , practise rooms are also available. In my town ( just shy of 100000 people ) , there are 12 totally sound insulated room available.

2 of them can only be booked week to week , these are fully eqipped , Peavey amps , 2 MIM Strats , P bass , and a Sonor drum kit , and a Dynacord power mixer for vocals.

10 of the rooms are equipped with the power mixer , and speakers .

These rooms can be used at least once a week , or whatever you agree with the other 4-6 users of the room.
Card readers on all doors , the rooms can be used 24/7
Cost for adults about 30 $/months , less than half of that for youngsters.

I just love to pay tax in this country !!

It’s nice to hear tax money going to youth and the arts. There’s a locally owned music store in nearby Coos Bay, Oregon (Shout out to Orcoast!) that was building rentable studio spaces just before... Not sure if the studios are up and running again (the store is), and probably wasn’t as cheap as what you describe. But I thought it was a great idea and wished there was a place like that where I live

naveed211

Friend of Leo's
In one of my first bands, we would occasionally practice out in the driveway of the drummer’s parents home. It was in an upper middle class subdivision.

It was always during day hours, but still, I’m just shocked we never got the cops called on us.

radiocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
Musty basement of apartment building. Not that strange, but upstairs was a small-scale coffin factory.

Also, next door was a brothel, but they didn't seem to have much traffic at the times we had band practice. I might have seen a woman come out once, and maybe a man go in once, but that's about it, and that's all during one whole year.

Larry F

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
The Manhattan Project took over a small town in Washington state and rebuilt and expanded it with new houses for the workers. They also built a Community Center. In the 60s, rock bands played on weekends. Instead of dancing, I parked myself in front of the guitar playing and learned a ton about music. After a few years, my own band, the Dog. Years, also played gigs there, along with other bands in our town.

One of the bands discovered an unused room with a bunch of furniture and recreational equipment. The band moved things around, creating a nice practice space. They went on to greater glories, and we snapped it up. The recreational director for the town was glad to see the space used that way.

We had been rotating practicing in our three houses. Our parents were completely supportive and never complained, except the drummer's father who had helped design the first two working plutonium devices. He was a ghost, tall, white hair, and extremely quiet. He couldn't speak about the Manhattan Project and Los Alamos until 30 years later. The drummer said that in the 70s, his dad sat him down and spilled the beans on his involvement with the bomb. I saw him 40 years after that, and he seemed like a different person, very relaxed and human. When practicing in their basement, he warmed up a little and liked to joke that we were so loud that we were driving nails out of the walls.

In the summer of 1969, we practiced at least once a day, sometimes twice, a habit of ours since we started in 1967. Sometimes we would take a long break at night and speed along the streets of what had been trailers homes for the workers. It really made us feel more professional, as we drove in to work every day. We would go to Arctic Circle for lunch, where one girl wouldn't charge us. Living large.

The city park was below us, past the tennis courts. One day, the park hosted a dog pageant. It would have been such a funny little small town story, if we had blown a dog whistle over our PA. We didn't bother finding one, though, as we figured none of that high-pitched stuff was in the range of the PA. For years, I have had an image of dogs going berserk, tripping the church ladies with their leashes. Think disney movie. How I wish that we could have made that work. I believe it was a 2-day event, so we would have had time to set up and unleash chaos.

dented

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
On the back of an International 2 1/2 ton stake rack truck with generator. Took it out to Lucerne Valley and practiced in the desert. It was my buddies Dad's truck. Wintertime on a dry lake bed.

brindlepicker

Tele-Meister
Practiced sax on the smoking benches outside the back doors of motels for a while when I was traveling. Had no compliments or bad remarks.
Harp and sax in my basement stairway for the acoustics.Couple bad remarks

39martind18

Friend of Leo's
Practiced sax on the smoking benches outside the back doors of motels for a while when I was traveling. Had no compliments or bad remarks.
Harp and sax in my basement stairway for the acoustics.Couple bad remarks

+1 on the stairwells, mainly for the echo. My playing buddy and I chose a stairwell in the university auditorium/gym one time. The basketball coach heard us and had us play for halftime at a game. Playing before a couple thousand people for our first public performance was, to say the least, an epic experience. :)

Masmus

Tele-Holic
.... ha ha, back when you could afford a hangar.

Surprisingly not as expensive as you'd expect.

My first band we would practice once in a while at high schools on the weekend that had out door stages and power.