Non-lethal Self Defense Options

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by JayFreddy, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

After I related my tale about the restaurant down in Mississippi, I finally figured out why JayFreddy wanted self defense advice. He's been watching Marty Stuart's invitation to come on down to Mississippi for their year long celebration and plans on going!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  2. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

I read a couple of the posts and they were good info.
    My biggest thing is avoiding bad situations (whenever possible) and making sure my girlfriend is safe. I have grown to be able to let a lot of things go but if someone is messing with your lady you should probably handle it for many reasons. But don't be stupid either.
    There are a lot of things you can do to be prepared. I'd suggest simple things like boxing/kick boxing classes or even something like jiu jitsu. Try to stay in shape and always be aware of your surroundings to a fault. I've left places/situations before just because I got a bad feeling. Sometimes it's nothing and sometimes it's something, better to be safe and trust your intuition.

So.
    1. Be aware
    2. Be prepared/in shape (boxing/etc)
    3. Trust your gut
    4. Act on your gut, don't hesitate.

Hopefully none of us will ever need this thread but you never know.

3. Macstilton

Macstilton TDPRI Member

[​IMG]

4. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

Here is the hitch in all these "I would do this" posturing. My gut instinct is to order a pineapple milkshake from Foster Freeze. That's what I'm trained in and practice weekly. When the moment strikes I can execute in the blink of an eye.

What I NEVER encounter in my daily life is a hostile attacker who is determined to do physical harm to me.

It's kind of like watching a lot of baseball, listening to each game dissected on talk radio, maybe playing some catch with your kid and coaching the little league 10 year olds. And then in an instant be stood up at home plate with Madison Bumgarner in his windup to deliver an inside fastball. Oh yeah, I'd do this, I'd do that, I'd trust my gut. :eek:

All the national rage right now is over police, professional, trained, rehearsed, with above average situational awareness, being questioned about how they trusted their gut. And we're gonna meet those same bad guys on the street while we ditty bop on our way to the car and do better than them?

Me, I'm going 180 in the other direction and finding a Foster Freeze.

5. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

...Yonkyo gets my vote every time :twisted:

6. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I'd say you are among the best prepared people on this thread.

7. Toto'sDad

Foster Freeze! Mmmmmmmmmmmm.

8. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The lack of news reports about private citizens defeating bad guys pretty much bears out everything you said. I'd love to hear that 40 people a day are able to fight off attackers but it just doesn't happen.

Once again, just try to stay the hell out of high crime areas...:eek:

9. Toto'sDad

William Tele for Sheriff of the TDPRI, oooooooppppps they already have that position filled! Never mind, but you do make a lot of sense. Me and old Toto we try to stay away from them bad channels on the internet.

10. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'd say a good solid one of THIS...
    [​IMG]
    Will always work...

11. Toto'sDad

Let us examine this option. OK, you've just delivered a devastating kick to the groin of you attacker. However, being a judicious attacker, he's one step ahead of you and is wearing a STEEL CUP. Now you find yourself in the inenviable position of desperately needing to RUN, but now you have a broken foot!

12. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

next frame... she swings both her hands towards his head.. flat palm slapping both ears... popping the guys eardrums.... his world suddenly starts spinning... and his head starts hurting bad...

next frame....she turns and runs like the hell the other way in her ballerina pumps...;)

13. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

you give them oxycontin until they pass out?

14. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

a really big part of not having to figure out if you're able to disarm an opponent is not looking like a victim in the first place. look like you're aware of your surroundings and you know where you're going and look like you're either confident, surly, or both.

15. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Note to self: lose the walker.

(I don't know if I've mentioned it here, but I've been using a walker more frequently outside the house. It really is a big help on bad days.)

16. Tidepoolbay

Tidepoolbay Friend of Leo's

If someone intends to do harm to me or a loved one, look out. I will put you down.

17. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry, can't resist:

18. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Beginning with kevoinidaho, the old "kick 'em in the crotch" ploy has been recommended several times in this thread...

I'd recommend against this. This tactic is putting too much in trust into too many iffy variables.

Are you more experienced in street fighting than your assailant? Unless you personally know your attacker and his level of fighting ability, it wouldn't be wise to assume you are a better fighter than he. Furthermore, assuming an attacker would cover up at the prospect of a punch to the face is also not a given. He could employ a simple armbar technique that can block a punch without obscuring his vision.

Assuming this blow to the groin technique will be sufficiently debilitating is also not a given. And in fact, I know firsthand that this is not always the case. When I was in the 8th grade, I was at a urinal in the boys' bathroom minding my own business (yeah, pun intended :rolleyes:). As I was turning around and zipping up my jeans, I was suddenly kicked in the basket of forbidden fruit.

Of course, that sickening feeling radiated throughout my nether regions, ande I was temporarily doubled over in pain. The guy turned on his heels and started walking out of the bathroom, assuming I was down for the count. Yeah, it hurt, but it also made me very mad! I didn't know this guy from Adam. He had no good reason for doing that to me.

So I finished zipping up, and then raced across the bathroom to catch up to my assailant. I caught up with him right at the doorway, and using my momentum I grabbed him by the shoulders and did a 360 with him, releasing him to fling him across the hallway and into the opposite wall. He slumped down to the floor, and, keeping just out of arm's reach, I stood over him and gave him a few choice words. (I honestly don't remember now what I said, not that it matters.)

He began stammering and making excuses, saying that he did it because I bumped into his friend in the hallway the day before. Once he showed that he was afraid, the crowd that gathered began to laugh at him. At the same time, he saw one of his buddies, and found a little more bravado. He shouted something in reply (again, don't remember what), and then hastily went on his way.

Mind you, I'm not trying to brag about having cojones of steel, or about my fighting ability. I'm just an average guy, I was then and I am now. I can count on one hand the total number of fights I've been in (putting on boxing gloves and sparring with my older brother not included). The moral of my story is that even a succesfully delivered swift kick to the groin is no guarantee that you have delivered a down-for-the-count debilitating blow.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  19. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

I still think Homer's advice was best. When attacked, fall to the ground and cry like a little baby. When your attacker turns away in disgust, kick him in the back and run.

I haven't tried it though. Yet.

:)

20. Jon C

Jon C Tele-Meister

As one of my LEO colleagues said, "a good kick in the balls is always a good start."

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.