1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Non-goofy looking superstrat?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by matrix, Nov 23, 2020.

1. matrix

matrix Tele-Meister

Wow @joe_cpwe that Kramer! that looks amazing!

See, that is want I am talking about - seeing a great wood finish but with all the hardware and geometry of a superior strat.

joe_cpwe likes this.
  2. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

the recent charvel stuff is relatively tasteful and people seem to love them. a lot of the solid finishes are just like seafoam green or shell pink. and fender owns them, the headstock is the same shape.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    3-Chord-Genius and matrix like this.
  3. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

I'm glad you like it :)
    The guy I bought it from owned for 15 years and was frustrated with it. He stripped all the paint, including the headstick & logo. He also rewired it real screwy and had smooth shaft pots with weird chrome knobs. I bought it thinking I'd re-spray it, but it has character now and the brown/black is growing on me. Original body, neck, hardware, and pickups.

It would have started it's life looking like this one https://reverb.com/ca/item/5256306-kramer-focus-3000-esp-built-in-japan-1983-crimson-red-metallic

matrix likes this.
  4. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

Cort G290FAT. Two piece Swamp ash body, flame maple top veneer, birdseye maple neck, compound radius fretboard, locking tuners, five-way switch. We know Cort builds for G&L, Ibanez, Schecter, Epiphone, Fender (Squier), and goodness knows how many other brands, but the in-house stuff without the add-on cost of a 'name' is very, very good. I already have a Cort/Manson Classic T; one of the nicest T-types I have played and the G290FAT is on my radar.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    wacolo and matrix like this.
  5. cheepnis

cheepnis TDPRI Member

Here's my 'Dean Ween" tribute.
    Strat plus pick guard, Sensor Gold in neck and mid, Duncan Hot Rails (16k), TBX tone (mid/bridge), and a 1M Volume pot (holy **** that makes it scream)

[​IMG]

matrix likes this.
  6. Alex_C

Alex_C Tele-Meister

paulblackford and matrix like this.
  7. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

SVSS1 (2).jpg
    RG 470 ut fr.jpg

8. PeteM1966

PeteM1966 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

What about Dean Zelinski Tagliare? Tagliare Series Guitars | Dean Zelinsky Guitars

Or Godin? Lots of models here Solid Body Electrics | Godin Guitars

or am I missing what you're asking?

I have one of the Tagliare's, an HSS, it's a great guitar to me. I don't have the Strat style Godin, I have an LGX SA which is a single cut but is pretty damn amazing so I'm sure their Strat styles are great. I'd get one in a heartbeat if I didn't just buy a Boss GT 100!

matrix likes this.
  9. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

I LOVE my Ibanez JS models. Very versatile guitars. I played a '91 Strat Ultra exclusively for 20 years. Once I got the JS1200 I never looked back. The Prestige level guitars (made in Japan) are second to none in quality. The neck is NOT your stereotypical flat, wide shredder neck- it's more strat-like, but smoother. Playing it compared to my Strat is like going to a Formula 1 racecar from a Camero. Both are great, but the Ibanez is so much sleeker, lighter and faster. And they can be found used for around $1000.

paulblackford, matrix and RobRiggs like this.
  10. RobRiggs

RobRiggs Tele-Meister

I second jman72. My JS2410 is probably the best guitar I own. Light, versatile and an amazing amount of tones out of one guitar. The Ibanez Edge trem has all the typical Floyd Rose flaws but it’s worth it.

jman72 and matrix like this.
  11. matrix

matrix Tele-Meister

@PeteM1966 I have been looking at the Zelinski guitars online. They have some great looking options. Downside is there are no local dealers, so I could not actually try one out to see if it has that ridiculously "fast" feel that attracts me to the high-end Ibanez guitars. Godin makes great guitars (I have had one for years). I think they are awesome value, and I love that they make guitars that aren't just clones of the standard models. But I have never played one that has that ultra high-end feel if you know what I mean.

@RobRiggs and @jman72 - I love the feature set on those JS guitars. But I stumble on the aesthetics - the available colours with matching painted headstocks just don't do it for me. Something like that with a natural finish or a nice sunburst would be a slam dunk. . .

PeteM1966 likes this.
  12. Jerry_Mountains

Jerry_Mountains Tele-Holic

I'm in love with the Guthrie Govan signature model from Charvel. That's a super strat that I wouldn't mind own.

RobRiggs likes this.
  13. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Holic

Chandler, Alamo Guitars, Levinson Blade, Heritage Stat, Modulus/Alembic Blackknife, and some early 80s BC Rich guitars were all good 'super strats'. I can personally vouch for Chandler, Stat, and Blackkife as all being great guitars. There's always the Gibson US-1, as well.

ycodt2cgqunowbeo2ldn.jpg nhahoante0epxbphdycs.jpg 1986-Heritage-Stat-Cherry-Sunburst-C29405_1.jpg 10888802_1438107559771260_938275500691396905_n.jpg

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  14. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

js's.jpg
    Yeah, I get it that you have to love the look. When I got the JS 1200, it took a while to get used to the candy apple red, but now I love it. My JS 1600 is silver with a natural color headstock, but it's a hardtail. They do look great together with my 5e3! Maybe a black JS 1000?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  15. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Afflicted

yih0fckhkuqpjyvqxrfo.jpg

1200 on reverb... What a beauty. Been eyeing her all night. G&L S500 05'.

Fiesta Red, jman72 and matrix like this.
  16. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

To me, it's not a Superstrat if it only has 22 frets, not 24. With 22, it's just a Strat IMO. I find this Tim Henson Ibanez intriguing, with 24 frets, 2 singles (which look like Tele neck pickups, but they are only spec'd as alnico single coils), and what looks like a mini HB at the bridge, and NO locking vibrato.
    p_region_THBB10_1P_01_sub_1.jpg

17. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Afflicted

Will these guitars improve your playing? Speed increase?

matrix likes this.
  18. matrix

matrix Tele-Meister

I legitimately feel that on these "super" guitars I can play faster - like all the resistance goes away. Which is why I am so intrigued with them right now.

However, if playing faster makes ones playing "better" is an open question. To be honest, I think that I would be a better musician if I played slower and left more space...but the excitement of throwing lots of notes out there tends to overtake me.

Hopefully at some point I will mature. A bit.

superjam144 likes this.
  19. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Holic

Schecter's Sun Valley Shredders could fit the bill. There's some awful day-glow paint jobs, but they have some nice blues available, solid features, and really nice necks. I'm squarely in the fat neck camp, and even their thinner profiles still feel really nice to me, my guess is the way they carve the shoulders?

Or, as recommended above, make one. I just finished a long road of modding my standard Player Strat and circled back to near-stock, oddly. Modified pickguard layout, S-1 volume pot for splitting the StagMag in the bridge, and locking tuners. I had a Wilkinson VS100 on it, but was rather unimpressed with a few features of it and it really just didn't offer any functional advantage over the stock bridge in the end. I might swap out the block for a pop-in arm at some point, but I'm very pleased with it as-is.

20. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

The ESPs are awesome, but they don't make any HSS ones except a cheap LTD one. All the other ones are HH, or HS. Here's a nice LTD HS one, and the cheap SSH one.
    nzuwi58witksj8dnmple.jpg esp-lmh203qmstb_1.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.