Non-gigging/home players : where does your G.A.S. come from ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mike Eskimo, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I’m in my 11th year as a member of The Grateful Dads and we have gone from 2 to 3 gigs a month to 2-3 gigs a year.

And suddenly, my GAS has virtually disappeared .

It might be that it’s summer and summer means gut string acoustic outside as much as possible but I look at my electric stuff and I’m like - “yeah - fine” whereas before when we gigged regularly, I was constantly on the hunt.

Either trying to get some new sound for some new song we were doing all the way to just trying to either annoy or impress my bandmates with some new pedal or guitar.

I actually have a Gretsch Corvette on layaway that if I could bail on it and get my money back I would. It’ll be fun to have but I barely have the desire to drive a half an hour to the store to pick it up.

So you home-polishers and onanistic domestic wankers - what spurs you to get more crap?

2. AngelStrummer

AngelStrummer Friend of Leo's

I play out seldom and haven't properly gigged in about a decade. Even though my GAS has never been excessive, it's there and has always been pretty stable.

Its origins lie in the existence of gear, being a member of TDPRI, reading guitar magazines and lurking on guitar shop websites.

But don't worry, I think you're only going through a phase.

3. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Them damn Guitar Magazines and YouTube are my #1 GAS problem!!,,, HELP:eek:

Dennyf, verb boten and Mike Eskimo like this.
  4. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I’m the opposite. When we are playing regularly I have no need or desire for gear unless something breaks.

When we are in a lull or a break, I am constantly looking at and buying gear.

5. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Home hack here. I have My GAS under control temporarily. I have a decent group of guitars which cover about all of the sounds I want to play. Same with amps - THR 10, old Supro 1606, Peavey Classic 20, and 73 Twin don’t leave me wanting much. I’m concentrating on learning to play what I have.

But when I had GAS, it was about covering those bases. Maybe that’s not really GAS; it wasn’t the constant turnover of gear in search of some elusive goal.

6. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

This place is the evil creator of my gas pains. I did not know I needed a nitro finish, scatter wound pickups, ratio tuners, and 12 different drive pedals until I found the tdpri:lol:

7. shupe13

shupe13 Tele-Holic

I've always considered "Gear Acquisition Syndrome" as just that, gassing for whatever your geek is. Guitars, amps, pedals... Has nothing to do with need or covering bases. That's just what we tell our significant other for an excuse. It's all about want. Gigging has nothing to do with it in my book.

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

verb boten, Shuster and Mike Eskimo like this.
  8. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Meister

I just want nicer stuff... but GAS as seen on this form doesn't really exist for me. I have 1 electric, 1 acoustic, and 1 amp.

I have a digital piano for one son, the other has an acoustic and gut string.

I do have 'wants' but they are limited and I go years hunting before I buy: drum set, bass & amp, better electric and acoustic.

----

I have to buy for all four of us (myself and kids), so I hunt a long time and don't buy until I find every feature I want in an instrument at a pre-determined price point. Advertising has almost zero effect on me.

Now - I do impulsively buy method books and tutorials... but that is a cheaper GAS than instruments :)

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm in recording mode for the last two years. No real GAS now and actually reducing gear. Of course I lust over NGD, NAD and NPDs here on TDPRI. It is okay not to have GAS and not to buy stuff. It is okay. Really, it is okay. I'm okay, you're okay.

10. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mine's in remission right now, I'm happy to say, but when it flares up it's because of a profound lack of self-control embedded deep in my personality.

11. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

+50 points for the quote from "Sorry, Ma" album!

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  12. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I've always loved the hardware. When I finally got some extra money I bought some things that I always wanted. I didn't play out much for a long while. I recently hooked up with a classic rock/pop/country band on bass and we play a couple of times a month. Now I have bass GAS.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  13. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

When I was a kid and playing out a lot, I had one electric, one amp, one acoustic. Never thought about having more, just played what I had.

Now that I'm and older man-cave player, I still primarily love playing. But I also like toys. Not to the extent of some around here, but somewhat. I have one acoustic and three electrics. May eventually get another acoustic. May not. May swap one electric for another. Might not. But I'm a mediocre player at best and would be FINE with one electric guitar. But I have three, like 'em all, and I'm not sending any of 'em back.

-Ray

14. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

In the mid-late 1990s I was in a band that worked three nights a week, every week (house gig). I was young and financially tight, so now that I’m older I’m able to have the things that I wished I could afford back then. Not much more to it than that.

modavis99 likes this.
  15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

When my son was alive, not only he and I, but a number of our family both young and old got into hanging out at the local GC. We all were into buying stuff, and it was kind of a family thing. My son and I bought things because the other did, not limited to guitars, sporting gear and such. When my son passed, I lost interest in things musical, in fact in most everything thing. I have not bought another guitar, amp, or anything musical in the five and a half years since my son passed. My neighbor got me back into playing golf, and I'm glad that he did because it kind of woke me back up. I still have no interest in buying any musical gear. I'm not sure I have had my Tele and DRRI fired up this year, if I have it was only one time.

16. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Meister

My GAS is dormant and never in remission.

I have my dream acoustic, mandolin, and ukulele and only have one of each.

I have three electrics but play my American Special Tele almost exclusively and could live with just that one.

So I would like to get to my Road Worn 50’s Tele and Classic Player Jazzmaster once in a while and that makes me feel that any new guitar would be third in line and not needed.

This thinking is working for me at the moment. I know I could also possibly sell all three and get a CS Tele for example. What stops me is that the American Special is such a good feeling, sounding, and playing guitar. Plus I really only play for about 30 minutes a day so this is a relaxing hobby for me and what I have is more than enough.

17. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Afflicted

I haven’t been on a stage in about ten years and I have more gear now than ever. I like guitars and I buy them when I can. Well, when I feel like rationalizing it, at least. They’ve always been appealing to me.

Steve 78 likes this.
  18. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

I mainly get GAS for building things now. That’s a different thing all together.

Off the hanger, there are perhaps a couple of old dream guitars that still appeal.

19. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I didn't gas when I was in bands. I did get a more powerful bass amp, but because I really needed it.

It would have been really useful at one time for me to get something like those little pedals with built-in cab simulators or an Orange Micro Terror, but those things didn't exist yet.

Gassing is for when you're not in a band and you have time to think about gear.

20. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

Facebook marketplace. Looking leads to buying.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.