NON FAMOUS/LESSER KNOWN GUITAR INFLUENCES.

Chuckster

Tele-Afflicted
Dave Fielding and Reg Smithies of The Chameleons UK.

Reg's groundwork melody as the backbone, with Dave layering E-Bow, controlled feedback, and eerie solo lines on top of it all.

This one captures multiple layers in one great song:

Tricone

Tele-Afflicted
There’s a local blues guitarist named Alan Haynes who has always been very good.
He’s been around Austin a long time.
I’d go see him play at Antone’s on Guadalupe St. after my gigs in the 80’s.
I recently opened for him, and recommended a drummer friend of mine to sub for him.
It was a good fit!
He plays/owns SRV’s red Strat.
I actually saw SRV play that guitar at the Rome Inn in 78.
Alan, though a contemporary/colleague/friend of SRV, perhaps might be compared to him, he considers himself more of an acolyte of Johnny Winter.
Great, relentless singer and player. View attachment 1026148 View attachment 1026149
This guy.
P.S.
He’s originally from Houston.
He plugs straight into his amp, sans pedals.
Gotta get out and hear him soon!

Man. He has put some gig wear on that Stratocaster since SRV owned it.
download (1).jpeg

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
He probably is famous in some spheres but maybe not so widely known: Kid Congo Powers… View attachment 1026312
I met him at a small gig in a Glasgow club in the early 00s, which was also where my band rehearsed at that time.

The conversation was pleasant (might have been what I was on) but also strange because his backing band were called The Pink Monkey Birds and at that time our band had been going under the name Pink Monkey Bird for around 5 years.
It came up in the conversation, but I can't remember how he felt about it.

4 Cat Slim

Poster Extraordinaire
Somebody unknown very far outside SouthTexas was the late Chris Holzaus.
He played with Augie Meyer's Western Head Band and Delbert McClinton and later got out on his own.
If I'm not mistaken, he played a date on the St. Mary's Strip in San Antonio,
and SRV opened for him. I remember he played a Gibson Barney Kessel model guitar and chain smoked.

Going farther back, another San Antonio guitarist was Spud Goodall. He always seemed to be playing with somebody. Notably, he was in Tex Ritter's band. He later taught at a local studio and seemed to have taught everybody of a certain age at one time or the other.

Brookdale Bill has already mentioned a few Austin-based musicians. There were so many talented people there in the 1970s and 1980s who never achieved popular acclaim outside of Austin.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Somebody unknown very far outside SouthTexas was the late Chris Holzaus.
He played with Augie Meyer's Western Head Band and Delbert McClinton and later got out on his own.
If I'm not mistaken, he played a date on the St. Mary's Strip in San Antonio,
and SRV opened for him. I remember he played a Gibson Barney Kessel model guitar and chain smoked.

Going farther back, another San Antonio guitarist was Spud Goodall. He always seemed to be playing with somebody. Notably, he was in Tex Ritter's band. He later taught at a local studio and seemed to have taught everybody of a certain age at one time or the other.

Brookdale Bill has already mentioned a few Austin-based musicians. There were so many talented people there in the 1970s and 1980s who never achieved popular acclaim outside of Austin.
I knew Chris!
Great player, kinda intense guy.
He worked at a guitar shop I frequented in the 70s.
I sold him a Strat copy I put together, circa 1979.
That guitar was an odd color.
It was strawberry milkshake pink.
Chris played it for years in smoky bars.
The smoke turned it Popsicle orange!
Weird, and true.
He passed away in 2008.

Last edited:

Hodgo88

Tele-Holic
Ad Free Member
The massive population of guitar YouTubers fall in this category I think. Every so often I'll have a song I want to learn but there's no live footage for me to watch, so I just find a YouTuber who has it fairly nailed. Visual references really help me when my ear has found the notes but my hands haven't found the position or fingering.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I thought of this point this morning off the back of a phone call with a relatively unknown musician that I would consider at the top of the large hill of guitarists where I've drawn my influences.

If I were to list the top three most influential guitarist that have affected most the way I play, then very few people, other than locally, will have heard of them.

Two electric players and one acoustic player that I watched a lot/roadied for when growing up. I even had the eventual privilege of spending time playing with all three of them either in the studio or in the case of the acoustic player in a live band for a few years.

The electric players worked with some fairly successful Scottish bands but remain fairly obscure to all but a few people with a specific interest in these bands.
The acoustic player remains more or less unknown outside of the bar scene and a few small folk festivals.

However, I can't deny that they have more to do with my guitar style than all or any of the household names.

Is anyone else in a similar position?
The greatest musical influences on me weren't guitarists, but my choir director growing up, and my violin teacher. Elza Cook taught me (by example) a LOT about ensemble organization and management......much more than four years as a Music Major at university. Kenneth Schanewerk at TCU managed to teach me more music theory than I even realized.....when I reached uni four years after lessons with Kenneth, I sailed through several classes due to what I (unconsciously) already knew.
I guess an unknown local guitarist named Bill Ham had a big influence on me. He had minor accomplishments (Cher, Yellow Payges, Israfel) but is little known, even around town outside of music circles.

CV Jee Beez

Tele-Afflicted
Daniel Ash from Love and Rockets
Dimitri Coats from Burning Brides
Glen Buxton, Michael Bruce and Dennis Dunaway from Alice Cooper when it was a band. I still listen to the early stuff regularly. The guitarists rock! Schools out? I’m 18? I played bass for 13 years at Church before I knew better. My main Influence was Dennis Dunaway. Great musicians all. They’re in the Rock and Roll hall of fame yet most people have no idea. Having said that…my fave Alice album doesn’t include them. Welcome to my nightmare is awesome!
Do you like OFF! ?

CV Jee Beez

Tele-Afflicted
The local guitar hero for where I live now is Pat O'Brien.

An early influence for me was Rikk Agnew who floats around OC and LA now. Rikk was in The Adolescents, Christian Death, and The Detours.

This is Pat:

This is Rikk:

stephent2

Poster Extraordinaire
Folks that know about Sean Costello would agree,.. he was one of the best.

Here he's playing one of my guitars, my t90 model was designed for Sean.

Endless Mike

Friend of Leo's
I thought of this point this morning off the back of a phone call with a relatively unknown musician that I would consider at the top of the large hill of guitarists where I've drawn my influences.

If I were to list the top three most influential guitarist that have affected most the way I play, then very few people, other than locally, will have heard of them.

Two electric players and one acoustic player that I watched a lot/roadied for when growing up. I even had the eventual privilege of spending time playing with all three of them either in the studio or in the case of the acoustic player in a live band for a few years.

The electric players worked with some fairly successful Scottish bands but remain fairly obscure to all but a few people with a specific interest in these bands.
The acoustic player remains more or less unknown outside of the bar scene and a few small folk festivals.

However, I can't deny that they have more to do with my guitar style than all or any of the household names.

Is anyone else in a similar position?
Not as such. But when I was in my early years and developing my style and skills, I had regular contact with a local player, who is well known is Dallas/Fort Worth. None the less, Bnois King did make think about certain aspects and elements of guitar playing and music, musicianship. My conversations with him, and hearing him play did alter the what and how of my playing.

cometazzi

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I don't want to say 'influences' so much because I don't feel like I cop their style directly or even effectively. And I wouldn't say 'lesser known' so much because we all know them here. But non-guitar people probably aren't too keen on:

Rick Miller (S.C.O.T.S.)
Peter Green (Fleetwood Mac)
Martin Barre (Jethro Tull)
Andy Powell (Wishbone Ash)

And of course: Toni Iommi

rickthescot

Tele-Afflicted
There’s a local blues guitarist named Alan Haynes who has always been very good.
He’s been around Austin a long time.
I’d go see him play at Antone’s on Guadalupe St. after my gigs in the 80’s.
I recently opened for him, and recommended a drummer friend of mine to sub for him.
It was a good fit!
He plays/owns SRV’s red Strat.
I actually saw SRV play that guitar at the Rome Inn in 78.
Alan, though a contemporary/colleague/friend of SRV, perhaps might be compared to him, he considers himself more of an acolyte of Johnny Winter.
Great, relentless singer and player. View attachment 1026148 View attachment 1026149
This guy.
P.S.
He’s originally from Houston.
He plugs straight into his amp, sans pedals.
Gotta get out and hear him soon!
I was lucky enough to see him play at a club on 6th street years ago and to talk with him a bit. Seriously good player and a damn nice fellow.

micadoo

TDPRI Member
Randy Bewley from Pylon. He is more responsible for that southeast/Athens jangle that shaped the 80s than probably any other guitarist.
View attachment 1026153
Dennes Boon. He also has influenced thousands of players. He was a wonderful person.
View attachment 1026154

I'll second D.Boon, the Minutemen were a huge influence on me along with other SST guys Greg Ginn from Black Flag and Kurt Kirkwood from Meat Puppets. Sonny Sharrock, Norman Blake and David Bromberg are also giants in my book

micadoo

TDPRI Member
If push came to shove, Jeff Beck is my all-time fave. Of course, we all know him but I'm also influenced by these "lesser known" players:

Roland S. Howard (especially his Birthday Party stuff)
John McGeoch
Duane Denison
Back in the 90s we used to go see Rowland Howard play at a tiny dive called the Public Bar across the street from the market almost every Tuesday for months. What he could wrangle out of that Jaguar was truly inspirational. Lovely bloke too